Is this correct?

Options
I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20% and was told to eat 2424 calories. Is this correct? If I use MFP it tells me to eat around 1565 calories.

I used the following to calculate my TDEE
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Do the TDEE method. Don't eat more on exercise days.

You must have chosen really aggressive goals in MFP to have that large of a discrepancy. Like "Lose 2 pounds a week" and "Sedentary"?
  • CyberTurbanX
    CyberTurbanX Posts: 25 Member
    Options

You must have chosen really aggressive goals in MFP to have that large of a discrepancy. Like "Lose 2 pounds a week" and "Sedentary"?

Thank you. Yes on the MFP I was set at 2lbs a week, sedentary and exercise 3 days a week.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you included your exercise in your tdee? Sounds right.

Definitely do not eat at 1600. It's too little for most women. Men get wayyyyy more calories. Weight loss is a sexist jerk. Haha
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20% and was told to eat 2424 calories. Is this correct? If I use MFP it tells me to eat around 1565 calories.

I used the following to calculate my TDEE
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Not sure on your stats, but I am a 5'7 female at about 200lbs atm and eat 1650 plus exercise calories to lose about 6lbs a month (plus or minus because nothing is linear). 1565 is even below MY BMR.
  • CyberTurbanX
    CyberTurbanX Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank for all of your replies. I set my calories to my TDEE.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options

Thank you. Yes on the MFP I was set at 2lbs a week, sedentary and exercise 3 days a week.

The problem is that you don't have a lot of weight to lose. Those settings needed to be set differently. MFP assumes you will do a little research before choosing Goals, and you did. So go with the TDEE method.

If you had chosen "Lose 1 pound per week" and a more realistic Activity Level (pretty much no one is Sedentary if they have a job, go to school, or care for a spouse or kids at home) - if you had chosen Moderately Active, or even possibly Lightly Active you would have been given a number closer to 2400. But MFP would want you to manually add back in any exercise you do on that day, and then eat that many MORE calories. That's the reason for the discrepancy.