I'm having issues

Options
I eat way too much of the wrong thing all the time!!!!!!!! I am always eating junk....... please give me tips!!!!!! I want to be healthy, skinny, and happy!

Replies

• durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    First advice is don't snack. Eat set meals then drink water in-between. I cut out pop and that's how I lost the first 20. Try and cut out fat wherever possible.

I guarantee more to come from others.

Good luck.

- Dustin
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'll brush my teeth after each meal (carefully planned), I even list EVERYTHING in my food diary at the start of the day, so there's no room for even a little something...

I don't even lick my fingers when I'm in the kitchen...

You can do this...breathe and keep busy.

I have a pedometer I wear every minute of my day...love those clicks. They remind me where I'm going.
  • anybristow
    Options
    I know this sounds dumb but try trading in your favorite junk foods for something lower in cals. You could eat them in smaller portions, trade in chocolate candy things for sugar free low cal jello pudding, fruit and sorbet's can be traded for sweet candies and ice cream, even flavored yogurt can be used as a sub for a sweet tooth. Potato chips and dip can be turned into whole wheat pitas and hummus. etc etc. Just find something you like and try it for a week. :) good luck!
    Also, if you mess up and eat something crappy don't beat yourself up, just try harder the next day. Not everyone likes this but I always give myself one cheat day a week so I don't feel super deprived. After a time I still make healthy choices that day, I just might have that cake I wanted and then am able to feel satisfied and know that I can easily make it through the next week.
  • RachMartin
    RachMartin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try and resist buying the junk foods when you go shopping - having a big meal before your trip to the supermarket should help :-)
    And then when you want to eat something you will find no junk food in your fridge / cupboards only fruit - healthy snacks - yoghurts etc that you bought
    Half the reason we eat junk is because it's there and it's handy
    Good luck
    Rach x x
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    My advice is to snack often; eat small meals up to 5 or 6 times per day (making sure you stick to your calorie allowance).
    Cut out added sugar (so in drinks, on cereal, cakes and biscuits etc)
    Try to fill up on filling healthy food such as protein (meat, eggs, dairy) and carbs such as pasta and potato etc
    Stay away from sauces as they can be high in sugar/fat
    Avoid bad fats (in chocolate, cakes, fried foods etc) and get your fats from good sources such as avocados, nuts, seeds etc
    Go for low fat options, but be careful with calories still (low fat doesnt mean low calories)
    I would say dont make too many changes at once. The best way I have found to make good lifestyle (long term) changes is to do it gradually. I like to chose one thing a week and concentrate on that.
    Also, listen to your body. If you tend to need to eat in the evenings then save enough calories to do that. In my experience it is not when you eat but how much that controls weight.
    Make sure you get exercise too as I know exercise reduces my appetite loads.
    Oh and drink enough fluids. I can eat a house on days when I am dehydrated.
    Good luck, you can do it! :)
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I eat way too much of the wrong thing all the time!!!!!!!! I am always eating junk....... please give me tips!!!!!! I want to be healthy, skinny, and happy!

Plan, plan, plan! Really sit down and plan your meals. I used to eat junk all the time and I still do on occasion, but have cut back tremendously. In fact, I still have have some days where I just binge but that's another story :-).

I make sure my eating is 80% clean, and healthy and the 20% when I do indulge, I don't feel so bad. Do what works for you, but most importantly try incorporating some good stuff into your eating first. When I first started, I just focused on adding more good stuff, slowly but surely, it has now become a habit and I've noticed I'm eating less and less junk.

Also, don't have it in the house. Make it a treat to go out once a week for that 'junk'.
  • Darkraven
    Darkraven Posts: 43
    Options
    Try and resist buying the junk foods when you go shopping - having a big meal before your trip to the supermarket should help :-)
    And then when you want to eat something you will find no junk food in your fridge / cupboards only fruit - healthy snacks - yoghurts etc that you bought
    Half the reason we eat junk is because it's there and it's handy
    Good luck
    Rach x x

This is EXACTLY how I "fixed" my problem of eating bad alll the time. It was hard on the kids to not have their favorite yummy treats around but they got over it and are excited when they ask if what they are eating is healthy and I say yes! (shocking I know!)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Clean out your house... if the junk food isn't around, you won't eat it. Have healthy snacks available, apples, grapes, etc. Also, use chewing gum to keep chomping without the calories.
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    OMG - I feel the same way ... I was getting no where's! I over eat like crazy and I eat tons of junk =(
    I suppose I don't really have any great advice but don't feel alone, I log all my food honestly and I find that helps me when I am going WAY over to get my control back.
    I have enlisted the help my husband, and he'll check in with me to make sure that i'm eating well - its hard but I know that as the days go on it will be easier.
  • mbkfireman
    Options
    Embrace the hunger. You should get hungry every day at some stage. Listen to your body. Eat all the calories you are allocated every day, but no more. For the beginning only eat food you can acurately determine the calories of. The results will spur you on. Leave yourself enough calorioes to eat sociably with your family at night. Good luck.
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    Try and remember that by eating foods full of salt, sugar and additives that you will get a high from that food then you will crash. You will then want more sugar and more junk to get that feeling back again, it is a bit like a drug! If you get into this cycle it is difficult to break out of. Go cold turkey on processed foods and you will no longer crave them as your body will be wanting healthy and nutritious foods.

It is much easier then to have these foods once in a while as a treat, as long as you don't get sucked in to this cycle.

Good luck. xxx
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I went organic! I buy everything fresh (no preservatives). If I really want food then I make it myself. No pre-packaged anything. If it can sit on a shelf for a year and be "ok" imagine what it does to your body. ewww.
  • jw17695
    Options
    Oh yea, and brushing teeth definitely helps. Its hard to eat and enjoy food with that minty taste in your mouth.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    There aren't any easy solutions if you're just not there mentally yet, but I recommend putting everything you eat in your food diary. Something about seeing those calories adding up in black and white helps me stay on track. And if you can't say no to the fattening food, cut your portions in half to lessen the damage :)
  • jw17695
    Options
    This might not work for everyone but I find if I eat higher amounts of carbs in the morning and lunch, and do lower carbs closer to dinner and/or night, the weight seems to come off easier without trying so hard. It seems like I can burn off the carbs during the day pretty easy (I have a fairly active job). I also do higher protein at night because that's when I workout.
  • nicandjim0315
    Options
    I see you have gotten alot of advice. What truely helps me is 6 small meals a day spread three hourse apart. With every meal or snack I make sure I have a fruit or vegetable. I dont drink anything but water (sometimes with a lemon) and I try to have 2 cups of green tea. I dont use any artifical sweetners considering 1 teaspoon of sugar has only 15 calories. As for calories thats all I count I dont even look at the fat. i dont eat anything that I dont know what it is or has in it. I hardly exercise but I do walk my daughter around the neighborhood. Do this and weight will literally FALL off I cant stop losing weight. Sometimes I acutally can control my hunger but the next day I start over and dont punish myself for it. Good luck
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    The planning is crucial... If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. I make sure to have low-calorie snacks on hand at all times... veggies and hummus, apples, oranges, mini rice cakes.

For a little while cut all added sugar from your diet. By doing that - you detox your system.

There is NO NEED for you to be hungry. I eat every 2 hours. Do I occasionally "want" something? Yep, sometimes I do and occasionally I have something that I just "want". But eating a variety of textures and flavors seems to help keep down some of the cravings as well.

Eat lots of vegetables and fruit... I have a salad and a piece of fruit with almost every meal.

I do not buy junk food... most of the time. BUT - I have a son and a husband who occasionally like to have a treat... so I buy them "individual bags" of snacks if they want them... and they go downstairs on a shelf in our basement... I will not deal with opened bags of donuts, chips, candy, etc. And I do not need crap sitting on my counters or in my pantry.

Tell yourself that you CAN and WILL do this - you have to give yourself positive reinforcement. And of course, exercise helps... when you get endorphins pumping through your system, it actually makes you less hungry!

Good luck!
  • loze85
    loze85 Posts: 6
    Options
    When you go to the supermarket grab a basket and hit the fruit and veg first. Grab everything that looks interesting and then then there isn't much space for the rest :) This is my latest ploy and it works well! I choose pineapple rather than biscuits - I now have my supermarket route planned exactly. Plus I walk back with the shopping for extra fitness points :)
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

I do not buy junk food... most of the time. BUT - I have a son and a husband who occasionally like to have a treat... so I buy them "individual bags" of snacks if they want them... and they go downstairs on a shelf in our basement... I will not deal with opened bags of donuts, chips, candy, etc. And I do not need crap sitting on my counters or in my pantry.

This is great advice! I do the same thing! We only have "junk" food in the house in prepackaged bags. We buy 100 calorie packs. You can much on an open bag of chips or cookies and consume a ton before you realize it. But if you go back for ANOTHER 100 calorie pack... personally I know my "I want to be thin" psyche can't handle it. lol.

I agree with everyone else about planning. By 10:00 a.m. I have entered in all of my food. If I have wiggle room with what I have planned I can add a little treat or something nice for myself (a tall skinny latte or one mini reeses cup...). If not... well that's just how it goes, huh? You've got to get into the habit of it. I plan even my morning and afternoon snack. That way when my stomach growls or it gets to be that time, I grab ONLY what I have already planned.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I plan my whole day of eating at breakfast and I budget everyday for ice cream - 1 serving - at night. If I crave something that goes beyond my budget (like granola a few days ago), I make myself earn it with exercise before I can eat it. I soon realized that while I didn't mind walking for a 1/2 hour to earn 1/4 cup of granola, I sure as hell was not going to walk 2 hours to eat a whole cup. It's a mental balancing act for me.