Losing fat% vs actual pounds lost

Options
2»

Replies

• Kbriner0223
    Options
    I think i am torn between the fat% and actual scale weight :/. Dont get me wrong, fat% is awesome! Especially because it does tone and get all of the lose skin tight again and helps lose inches. But the scale weight(someone mentioned this before and it is true) is something that is advertised and kind of bored into some peoples minds(mine) and when you dont see progress on the scale it is a little upsetting :( but as long as i am still losing SOMETHING then it is worth it :)

I do think that i might try upping my calories to 1600 for two weeks and then to 1400 for two weeks and back down to 1200 and see if i get results from that
  • Dcioby73
    Dcioby73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a while to reverse a slow metabolism. The reality is that most people are 20-30-100 lbs overweight as a result of a prolonged state in which the metabolism (the rate at which your body burns calories) has been continuously slowed down.

We dont want to hear it, but it's a fact of life: we did the crime, now we gotta do the time. I just stole that quote from Joe Cross of Fat, sick and nearly dead;) But it's true, the calories we ate 2-3 months ago are stored in our problem area, and it will take 2-3 months to take them off.
  • michellel313
    michellel313 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think i am torn between the fat% and actual scale weight :/. Dont get me wrong, fat% is awesome! Especially because it does tone and get all of the lose skin tight again and helps lose inches. But the scale weight(someone mentioned this before and it is true) is something that is advertised and kind of bored into some peoples minds(mine) and when you dont see progress on the scale it is a little upsetting :( but as long as i am still losing SOMETHING then it is worth it :)

I do think that i might try upping my calories to 1600 for two weeks and then to 1400 for two weeks and back down to 1200 and see if i get results from that

So I commented on your post yesterday saying that I've bumped up my calories to 1600 a day from 1200. I just checked by diary, I've been doing this for 4 days and when i weighed in this morning I lost 2lbs!! You should definitely give it a try! I hadn't lost anything in like 6 months! I'm interested to see how it works out for you!
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Im having the oppisite problem, Im dropping lbs but not bodyfat, I retain muscle and look better but the BodyFat reading gives me a different opinion :(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Im having the oppisite problem, Im dropping lbs but not bodyfat, I retain muscle and look better but the BodyFat reading gives me a different opinion :(

If it ain't fat dropping, got bad news for ya.

How do you know you are retaining muscle, had a DEXA scan, which is only valid weigh to know (that and 1RM on lifts)?
  • lbdeblois
    lbdeblois Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I think my problem too, is.. that I need to go up from 1200 calories to more. But geesh! What do you do when you're just not hungry?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I think my problem too, is.. that I need to go up from 1200 calories to more. But geesh! What do you do when you're just not hungry?

Eat higher fat stuff. Good fats in addition.

Your hormones can bounce back and you'll start feeling appropriately hungry again.
    And once your body can actually make good improvements to your exercise done, workouts get better so you get hungrier there too.