placement of the HRM strap on women?

DizzieLittleLifter
DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I googled, but I thought I'd get more accurate advice from my pals here. Where exactly is the best placement of the strap on a woman? over the breast under the breast in between? How do I know I have the right placement? I put it over and it would go from 69 to 0 to 154 just while sitting LoL. Under the breast and it seems like I'm loosing my heartbeat often.

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    The HRM strap should be worn right underneath the bust, usually where the bottom portion of a sports bra rests at the top of your rib cage. The strap should be flat against your skin and be a bit moist (from sweat) to get an optimal reading. Enjoy your HRM- I use a Garmin Forerunner 405CX and LOVE it!!! Hope this helps.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    I wear mine just under the breast, sometimes tucking it right under the edge of my sports bra. I haven't had any problems with it registering numbers that seem out of place. I also make sure that the transmitter is moistened and sticks firmly to the skin.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I put my under the breasts. I guess I never really thought about it because I'm pretty sure my instruction manual showed women in sports bras and it was underneath the breasts in the pictures. If it is losing your heartbeat, have you tried wetting the sensors with a little water? That will help the connection.

Edit: I love it when everyone posts at the same time and it looks like we are all just repeating each other. :laugh:
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Under your breast, like right beneath/a little below the bra strap and as tight as the bra strap is where I find my heart rate. Remember that you have to get the band wet or it can't track your heart rate accurately. Just the front needs a little drop of water when you first put it on.. After that, your sweat will keep it damp enough to maintain close contact to your skin so it can conduct correctly.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I am a little... *ahem* endowed, so I put my HRM on first. I actually place it so it is lying under my breasts. Then, when I put my sports bra on the HRM is under the strap. If I put the HRM on after the sports bra I feel like the HRM is too low - it will rest below where my ribs separate.
    I have worn my HRM while riding a stationary bike and the stationary bike sensor and my HRM were only 1 beat off from each other, so I think I have it placed well.
    And like everyone else has said - make sure your sensors are slightly moistened. You can either wait for the sweat to build up, or you can wet your finger and run it across the sensors.
    Enjoy your HRM!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Thanks! I am wetting it first. I get real sweaty too! :) I'm pretty small boned/chested :glasses: LOL I don't have much in the girls dept. and I have to use something to pin the straps together to make it more snug. I did a work out again today with it and got the same cal count as the last time so I guess I have it correct. Thanks again for the input! Cheers to sweat!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    When I was much heavier, and very well endowed, my personal trainer had me wear mine backward with the soft part of the strap under my breasts and the plastic part on my back. It worked fine that way and was much for comfortable for me.
This discussion has been closed.