Recovering from cosuming too little calories

Options
Hi there,

My name is Shiva and I am new to this website. I initially joined because I need some weight loss advice and also believe that having a sense of community will support healthy habits.

Okay, so, I began (again) my weight loss at the end of January and was has lost 10 pounds within 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, I consumed between 900-1200 calories per day and exercised between 1-2 times per week. After losing the 10 pounds, I was so impressed with my progress that I decided to further reduce my calories and work out 6 days per week, all in hopes that I would be able to maintain my 5 pound per week weight loss. I went through the third week, eating between 700-900 calories a day and doing daily cardio, burining between 300-700 calories per session.

At the end of that week, when I stepped on the scale, I had only seen a 2.2 lb decrease, which was rather unusual in my mind, because I had been working even harder than the weeks prior. So, mildly discouraged and confused, I still decided to keep up with my low-calorie/heavy cardio weight loss plan and continued to work hard. For another week, I repeated the same thing. Come weigh in day (Sunday), it appeared that I had gained the 2.2 pounds I had lost in my third week. I was SO baffled and perplexed. "Why?" I asked.

Anyway, I did some research, and found that consuming too little calories actually has a negative effect on weight-loss and is overall not a good method. Taking that into mind, I don't want to harm my body and want to lose weight safely and effectively.

But my question is, what do I do now? Should I start consuming 1200 calories right away? Will I gain weight? Please help me! I need a solution.

Thanks, xoxoxo

Replies

• Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was in a very similar place, but I had been grossly under eating for about five years. Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

There's a lot of terminology that may seem confusing, but give it a few reads and I bet you'll start to feel more comfortable. Try to think about how your lifestyle (both current and your goal) is impacted by what he's sharing. Once you've done that, other people's advice, recommendations, etc will make a lot more sense. More importantly, you'll have learned some really important things about 'how' to take healthy steps.

I know it can all seem really overwhelming at first, but just be patient with the new info and you'll be ready to get healthy in no time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    1200 probably isn't enough either. Figure out what you need to eat from the link provider by the poster above.