I weigh 40 pounds more than Kirstie Alley? Seriously!

HealthyKt78
HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay so I was watching Kirstie Alley's new tv show on A&E today and she weighed herself and was 230 pounds. I weigh 265-270. I don't look like I weigh more than her at all. Why is it that some people look like they weigh way more than they do and others look like they weigh less? And I know I'm not just being delusional by thinking I look like I weigh less than her. Watch the episode where she weighs herself. She's really really big there. It's the same with sizes. People who weigh much less than me wear bigger sizes than I do. I know Kirstie Alley must wear a bigger size than I do, at least in that episode. Like even people on here. I see people who wear size 20/22 who weigh only 230 and I'm 16/18 and I weigh 270 (This is just an example. I'm not thinking of a specific person). I just don't understand why there's such a difference. And Kirstie Alley is about my height so that's not an issue.

Replies

• I don't know, but I know how you feel... I know someone who is my height and 10 pounds heavier than me but makes me look like a beluga whale. Lol.. Good times.
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    I think everyone just carries there weight different. Best of luck
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    I think the two biggest factors are your height and where you carry your weight. I am short and standing next to my tall freinds, I still look heaver even though I'm twenty pounds lighter. I am also "pear" shaped so I can hide more under a cute skirt. Some of my "apple" shaped friends have to be careful because they expose skin from a shirt with a "baby doll" or "vintage" fit shirt.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    It has to do with height, body composition, where you carry your weight, etc.

I people are always surprised by how much I weigh...but I'm really really strong and I've always been very muscular.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    OMG you are kidding me she only weighs 230? In my profile picture I weighed 226 and she is 2 inches taller then me.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    emothug.gif

I know what you mean. I carry my weight decently. I've got a friend who weighs about 20 lbs less, is within about an inch of my height and looks 40-50 lbs less. He looks really good and was surprised at his weight. I could lose and weigh what he does, but he'd look much smaller. *shrug*
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    this is true it depends and varies on all sorts of thing,, i really didn't realize how big i was until i seen pictures i must have been delusional thinking i was smaller than i was,,, how embarrassing as far as that goes... reality is a big kicker....:embarassed:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    I believe it is how her weight is distributed and the clothes she wears (usually over-sized dresses) She is also much older than you and she has had a few children. You are young so your skin and muscles are probably more tone. I know what you mean though because my sister looks emaciated and stick skinny at 130 pounds where someone else the same height would look trim and healthy. I am sure bone structure is a factor also.:happy:
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    height would be a huge factor, it would be interesting to see how her BMI compares to yours (although I know BMI is limited, it would take a height difference into account)

but i know what you mean - my goal weight of 70kg still puts me at a 25.7BMI, yet at that weight I wear a size 10 US.

Some people are just naturally denser than others, i think.

Also, the amount of muscle carried would be a factor, too. Someone x lb, but whose weight is all fat, would be bigger than someone x lb who has a lot of lean muscle mass.
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    height would be a huge factor, it would be interesting to see how her BMI compares to yours (although I know BMI is limited, it would take a height difference into account)

but i know what you mean - my goal weight of 70kg still puts me at a 25.7BMI, yet at that weight I wear a size 10 US.

Some people are just naturally denser than others, i think.

Also, the amount of muscle carried would be a factor, too. Someone x lb, but whose weight is all fat, would be bigger than someone x lb who has a lot of lean muscle mass.

Well BMI only factors in height and weight so her BMI would be less than mine cause she's my height but weighs less than me. She's 5'7.5 according to IMDB and I'm 5'8.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I am constantly comparing myself to people on those weight loss shows (like Celebrity Fit Club and Biggest Loser) who are about my height - they never seem to have a body anything like mine, I always either think I'm way fatter or way thinner. LOL

Glad I'm not the only one who does this!

:wink:
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Well consider yourself lucky... I am 5'2" on a good day and weigh around 221.
    I wear an 18/20.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Maybe you just carry your weight well. I look smaller than other people of my weight. I think I'm lucky that I carry most in my thighs where others don't see it.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Ah, i see

You must just carry it well then, maybe are naturally a larger frame, so it's all over, rather than having one or two "fat" areas with it all concentrated there, iykwim. Do you work out or exercise a lot? Or do a physical job? You might be hiding a lot of muscle there!
  • stylindiva71
    stylindiva71 Posts: 5 Member
    Well you have to think about muscle tone, you might have better muscle tone than others. Thats a good thing.
  • Before I got pregnant with my son, I was 209 lbs and get ready for this.. as size 10 jeans.. Now I am 214ish and a size 16.. no way I'll be back in a size 10 a 209.. I hate the wayI carry my weight now.. =(
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    now darn it jaybird, that just makes me mad! LOL.
    About 13 years ago, I lost from 172 to 129. Even at 129 lbs. I was wearing a size 9/10.

I, evidently, am built like a truck.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    They say the camera adds weight :smile:
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    I can definately relate. No one can ever guess I weight as much as I do. I think it's definately how you carry it. My weight is kind of spread out all over.. I really don't have huge "problem areas" like some people do. I wear the same size jeans as girls who weigh 50lbs or more less than I do. Muscle mass definately comes into play as well.. My fiance calls me super woman because I'm a heck of a lot stronger than I look. :blushing:
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Well consider yourself lucky... I am 5'2" on a good day and weigh around 221.
    I wear an 18/20.

haha, I'm 5"7 and weigh around 230 and wear a 18/20

different folks, different strokes

(isn't that how that quote goes?? lol)
This discussion has been closed.