Meatloaf with hidden vegetables

Options
Did anyone see Biggest Loser on Monday? They talked about a meatloaf made with ground turkey and purred vegetables. I was wondering if anyone had that recipe.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't have that particular recipe, but most of the meatloaf recipes I've ever come across contain some veggies (they help retain moisture in the finished meatloaf). It's normally things like onions and carrots, but you can use just about any veggies. I typically finely grate or puree veggies into mine, just because I don't like the texture when there are chunks of onions. Find a good, basic turkey meatloaf recipe and swap the veggies included for pureed veggies of your choosing.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ^this. and if you are in a pinch, use baby food in place of pureeing the veggies yourself.

there is a cookbook called 'the sneaky chef' that has loads of recipes for adding pureed fruits and veggies to all kinds of foods.

i make my turkey loaf with shredded carrot (1/2 cup), chopped onion(1 cup), chopped celery(1 1/2 cups), chopped apple (1 lg), -all that is sauteed and cooled off-, plain yogurt (6oz), egg substitute(1/4 cup), poultry seasoning (1 tsp), and corn flake crumbs (1/2 cup). mix with 1 lb ground turkey breast, bake at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes.

i've seen meatloaves made with broccoli and mozzarella, even mushrooms and onions. the beauty of meatloaf is that there are a bazillion different ways to make it.

and no matter how you do it, one of your kids will say, 'ew! yuk!' :)

did you check the biggest loser web site?
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My meatloaf recipe includes a can of salt-free tomatoes. My favorite is Glen Muir fireroasted diced tomatoes. Also, grated zuchinni can be hidden in almost anything. Spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, brownines, muffins, soups. The zuchinni just seems to melt into whatever you are cooking. Yellow squash is the same way.

Ground mushrooms that have been squeezed dry in a paper towel are also a good way to sneak fiber and nutrition into meatloaf.

My kids (8 and 11) have never figured out that I do this.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I puree squash and add it to spaghetti sauce.. i'm sure you could sub pureed veggies for the ketchup people usually put in the meatloaf.

Meatloaf.. the dinner of a 1,000 recipes.. LOL everyone i know makes it different..
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I don't watch biggest loser. However, I make meatloaf with chopped onions, celery, green pepper and onions. I would also use carrots if I had them. The key is to sauté them to soften them and cook out some of the water in them. That way you don't bite into crunchy veggies. It is delicious. Anyone who has ever had has said it is some of the best meatloaf ever.
  • PJEJEP
    PJEJEP Posts: 1
    Options
    I was searching the internet for the recipe that they used on Biggest Loser. I came across this on a website for an Autism diet. Looks fairly close to what they showed.

GFCF Turkey Meatloaf With Hidden Veggies
    March 12, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Posted in GFCF, Recipes, YUM | Leave a comment
    Tags: Everyday Autism Miracles, Getting picky eaters to eat veggies, GFCF Meatloaf, GFCF recipes, Shannon Penrod, The Autism Miracle in my kitchen

Don’t hate me because my child eats vegetables, I have a husband that considers vegetables toxic waste. I remember him explaining to me when were dating that pickle relish counted as a vegetable, and he only used that sparingly. So I have my work cut out for me. Whenever I find a recipe that is GFCF (and my other son’s restrictions) and my husband will eat it – it is nothing short of a miracle. When it also has a full serving of veggies in it and both my husband and my son love it – then it’s time to celebrate! I ought to call this meatloaf recipe CELEBRATION MEATLOAF! It’s fairly easy to make, they both love it, it’s economical and it’s healthy. DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. of Ground Turkey

1 C. Carrots

2 C. Broccoli

1 C. Cooked Brown Rice

1 C. Water

I like to do things the easy way – so I put 1/2 instant brown rice, 1 cup of baby carrots and 2 cups of frozen broccoli into a bowl with the water and I steam them in the microwave until the carrots are fork tender. You could steam the veggies in a steamer and cook the brown rice from scratch – I don’t have that kind of patience.

Take the steamed veggies, rice and water and puree them in a blender of food processor until they are liquified – it should look like pea soup, thick and green. You may need to add more water. You could leave it chunkier if you wanted, but it is my experience that my fussy eater (my husband) won’t eat it then.

Put the ground turkey into a baking dish that has a lid. Add the liquified veggies and rice to the meat slowly and stir in. The first time you make the meatloaf you might want to only add half of the veggie mixture and freeze the other half for the next meatloaf (get their taste buds adjusted before you hit them with the full veggie onslaught).

Smooth the meatloaf down into the pan and cover. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for one hour. Make sure that meat is cooked in the middle before serving. It should make a nice tight meatloaf that can be sliced. If not cook slightly longer and next time reduce the amount of water you add.

You can use other veggies to make this meatloaf but this combo seems to work best for my family, my husband swears he can’t taste the veggies!

This is a picture of what I served Jem for dinner the other night. Two pieces of meatloaf, 1/2 of a brown rice tortilla with red pepper humus, fresh cucumbers and some slice beats. It ends up being about 4 servings of vegetables with a good lean protein, some complex carbs, lots of fiber and very little fat! Best of all, he ate the whole thing and asked for more meatloaf! My husband ate his meatloaf on a toasted bagel with barbeque sauce and was equally happy. I had the pleasure of knowing that he got his veggies too.

About these ads

Share this:

Facebook
    Twitter
    StumbleUpon
    Digg
    Reddit

Like this:

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post.TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Enter your comment here...