Used a heart rate monitor-SHOCKED at results

Options
I have been doing the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD for 10 weeks now. I just started using a heart rate monitor today. Previously, I used a figure of 350 calories burned each day that I did the full 50 minutes and added that to my caloric intake for the day. With the monitor, I never reached my max heartrate but at the end of 50 minutes, the calculator said 820! I do the video Monday through Friday with power sculpt for 30 minutes M W & F. The way I see it, I'm starving! I don't feel like I am-I actually feel great. I just can't get over the difference. Any input?

Replies

• JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    I have been doing the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD for 10 weeks now. I just started using a heart rate monitor today. Previously, I used a figure of 350 calories burned each day that I did the full 50 minutes and added that to my caloric intake for the day. With the monitor, I never reached my max heartrate but at the end of 50 minutes, the calculator said 820! I do the video Monday through Friday with power sculpt for 30 minutes M W & F. The way I see it, I'm starving! I don't feel like I am-I actually feel great. I just can't get over the difference. Any input?
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If thing are working and you feel great you should keep doing what you are doing. Keep it up and good luck.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I use bio-feedback, that is if my body tells me it's hungry then it's hungry but when my "mind" tells me my body's hungry I just struggle with it until it's really time to eat. What has that got to do with your question?

The calories burned for any given machine, cardio program, BMI calculator is pretty general in it's derivation not knowing a lot about you, your activities, etc. Because of this I usually just stick to the basic allocated calories for the day and don't even look at the "calories earned" from exercise -- unless I want to cheat on something then those come into play as my bonus points.

I've found that my body doesn't whine at me because I do this type of eating / exercise plan. If I did this any other way I'd be eating over 2000 calories a day and be as big as I started out or bigger!

So this is just the long winded way of telling you to use the information you're given as a guideline to monitor your activities and pay attention to what your body tells you, not your mind, and you will continue to have success. Bob
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I was shocked too but it was opposite for me. When I was doing Turbo Jam I assumed that I was burning around 600 calories minimum and when I wore my HRM, I found out I was barely burning 400 calories.:noway: It was such an eye opener for me. You may be burning a lot more or a lot less calories than you might think. I wear mine every time I exercise. I love seeing where my heart rate is, whether I need to pick it up a little or tone it down. It's awesome!
    It's a great investment!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

50 minutes at 85% heartrate, yep, I could see 800 calories burned no problem. I burn 450 in 30 so yeah, that sounds right (I average about 82% for 30 minutes). Surprising isnt it? :tongue:

I have always said, try to keep your net deficite for any day between 300 and 600 calories unless your bmi is over 30 (then you can probably bump that up to the 800 to 1000 range without issue), take what you want from that, but it worked for me, and there is quite a bit of scientific theory and proven fact behind what I say, I don't just say things, I look them up and study them first. I'm too much of a dork to have an opinion without fact behind it. :tongue: