Runners- what's your most memorable run?

Options
Mine would be when I took part in an inaugural fundraising trail run- which was also my first real trail running experience. It was 20k long, and runners had the option to do it alone or in pairs. I paired up with my mom- I'd run 12.5k to a meeting point, and she'd run the remaining 7.5k. A shuttle bus took team members to/from the meeting point.

The route basically went around a mountain- or, as I rapidly discovered, up a mountain. I was running regularly at this point, as I was training for a HM. I didn't necessarily think it would be a cakewalk, but I was used to clocking respectable speeds and distances on roads. The first 5k was literally climbing up a ski hill, with grades as high as 60% (yes, six zero). I rapidly abandoned any delusions of setting a PR when I saw the first big hill.

Finally, after a painful first 5, I hit the proper trails- closed in wilderness over rough and rooty terrain (and still climbing, though not as dramatically). It was tight, but I managed to find my groove running single-file with other folks. I wiped out (one of three falls) but sprung up so quickly you'd have thought I'd belly-flopped onto a trampoline. What else was there to do? Dirt on my face, bloody knees..I felt a little badass.

I made it alive to the partner meeting point and my mom took off. I was standing around with the other partners, happy to be finished after a grueling run, eating orange slices and gummy bears....while being eaten alive by mosquitoes. We discovered it was going to be an hour before the shuttle bus took us back. "Eff this!" one of the runners said, "We won't have any blood left in our bodies by that point! We're just going to run the rest of the distance anyways!" So, we all took off to run the remaining 7.5k.

It seemed like a good idea at first- until we hit more climbs. But fortunately (or unfortunately for the inexperienced trail runner, like me) what goes up must go down. Try running down a rock slide. It's a bit treacherous.

I have no idea what my times were (or the team time), though I know it was nothing special. I do remember being very happy to be finished when I finally made it back to the starting point. I now have a love/hate relationship with trail running- I love the outdoors and how "real" it feels, but there's nothing running up a mountainside to make me feel out of shape mighty quickly.

TL:DR: What's your most memorable run and why?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Nothing like that! That sounds absolutely insane!

Ok. Mine is strange. In 2011 I was in the best shape I had ever been and had lost 30 lbs. Thankfully, this was the case bc I had surgery in Oct. 2011. I had complications that left me with a bladder repair and catheter, and also numbness from the hip down to the ankle due to femoral nerve compression. The doctors weren't sure if it would come back at all and definitely couldn't tell me when. My OB is an avid runner and knew that I was running too and he was crushed for me and braced me that things could change drastically. I was using a walker or cane and couldn't drive. It was horrible. I walked as much as I could and when the catheter came out, I walked even more but it was slow and awkward BUT after only a month, the feeling had returned in my calf so now I was only numb from the knee to the hip. My OB said do what I was comfortable with so I did. In January, I went out with my running group and was able to run 1 mile. It was awesome! The end of March, I went to the Ukrops 10K in Richmond, VA determined to run it all but knew it would be slow. It wasn't. I ran my best time in my 3 attempts and realized that afternoon that ALL my sensation had returned :D
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Chicago marathon 1993 and then again in 2003, my best and worst marathons.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Mine has to be the 30 second sprint after a squirrel that started all of this for me. There's more to the story and I'm lazy-it's in my profile though.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    mine is gonna suck haha but it would be that time i ran 7km with very bad knees, a week before I was told not to run for a year.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    When I hit 13.1. I was numb from the waist down though. :laugh:
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Nothing as grand as yours OP but the 5K that I broke my own personal best and set a new PR. I am now training to keep my pace and finish a 10K strong.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My most memorable run to date was the 2011 Newport marathon. It was the first marathon that I ran, and the first half was all along the RI coastline. The Newport marathon is voted the most scenic run.

I am hoping when I post this again in a couple of months, it will change to the Boston marathon.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I've done some fun races, with friends and alone, and my most memorable run was a 12 miler that I did through the mountains in Arizona. It was a gorgeous morning, in the middle of nowhere, with a mountain lake, trees, and wildlife, and I got the do the entire thing by myself. It felt like I was the only person in the entire world, at 9500ft, and it was awesome.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to running, so my most memorable was finishing C25K. Haven't done a 5k yet but think I want to. Right now only thing stopping me is me...
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My first trail run last summer. That was my ultimate running goal and the first time I had done it since I was a child. I loved every single minute of it! Alone in the woods, the sights and sounds of nature, just me and the trail. Love love love doing that.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder Colorado 2012 on June 10th. It was 12 miles of hell. 42 degrees and cloudy/windy running up Vail (Beaver Creek) ski mountain and jumping into freezing water with a total of 23 obstacles, ropes, 10ft wall climbs, electrocution etc. It began at about 9,000 elevation and the top was 11,500 elevation. I blew out my knee about 7 miles in and limped the rest of the way. It put me out for months. My wife and I were so beat that we blew off the Nickelback/Bush concert we had $200 tickets for that night. We went home and went to bed at 7p.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I did the Bisbee 1000 and it was memorable. It was at an altitude in AZ so my lungs were burning real quick. You also have to climb 1000 stairs. It was a tough run and I was in bad shape early on, but redeemed myself in the latter part of the race.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Being chased by an angry rooster.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Mine would be the speedy skunk run because i won it i had never won anything in my life it felt amazing i want to get back to that so bad
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, (I went to a small boarding school) the PE teacher was an avid runner. Regardless of what we were doing in PE for the semester, on Fridays all we did was run. He had a program similar to C25K you could work through or not, depending on your fitness level. To finish his class with an A, you had to be able at the end of the semester to run either a full 20 minutes or run a mile in 6:45 (girls) or 6:15 (for boys).

I wasn't in bad shape in high school though slightly overweight - and I well remember the very first Friday in PE when I decided, screw the training program, I'm going to run the full 20 minutes, which I had never done in my life. I made it, just barely. I had no idea about pacing or anything like that. I remember I had the most horrible shin splints and I was so sore I could barely walk for a week :laugh: But, I did it! And I did it every week that semester and 3 or 4 times a week on my own. I really loved it.

Second to that first run, was at the end of the semester when we did our 'final exam' so to speak. I was SO sure I could run the mile in 6:45 to get my A....and unfortunately, I finished in 6:55 instead. Which meant I now had to run the full 20 minutes haha. I did finish the full 20 (and thought I might die since I'd pushed that first mile so hard) and got my A and while I was laying on the ground at the track recovering with my classmates, my PE teacher told me "You have a real talent for running. Don't ever stop!" I will never ever forget that. I DID stop of course after a few years but he is the reason I started back last year. I don't know that I am particularly talented lol, but those words have stayed with me all these years anyway..
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I already know that mine is going to be the NYC Marathon (hopefully in 2015)- I love running and Im deeply in love with NYC so Im sure it's going to be a pretty memorable race. That was about the most memorable race. My most memorable (and fastest) run? One month ago I was cooling down after my evening run when I turned the corner and came face-to-package with a guy who was peeing in the middle of the street (seriously, I saw the whole thing). I felt so disgusted that I speeded up and reached home in no time!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've had so many, I can't pick one, so I'll just go with the most recent.

Mrs Azdak and I took a trip to Italy in 2011--a second honeymoon so to speak. When I go to places, esp old medieval cities, I like to explore them on foot. I just like to walk around as much as possible, going to random places, just to see as much as possible and to get a feel for the place.

Mrs Azdak had different ideas--primarily that it was "vacation" and she didn't feel like wearing herself out in the summer Italian heat. She walks at about 2.0 mph and I walk at 4+ mph, so we decided to compromise: I walked at 2.0 mph. As a result, we spent a lot of time on buses and moved for limited distances at a snail's pace the rest of the time.

So one morning when we were in Florence, I woke up early and decided to go out on my own so I could walk as fast and far as I wanted. I left right at dawn--it was cool and the streets were empty. After a few blocks, I couldn't stand it and started to run. I was suffering from chronic Achilles tendinitis at the time and knew I would pay the price, but I kept on going.

I ran along the Arno River to the hill where the Piazzale Michelangelo is located and ran to the top. There I enjoyed the breathtaking view of the city emerging in sunrise. It was one of those transcendent runs where you just merge with your surroundings.

There was a solitary Japanese tourist at the top at the same time and he asked if I would take his picture. I did and he returned the favor. That picture is in my profile.

On the way back, the Achilles gave out and I spent the next 6 days limping around, but it was worth every second.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My most memorable race would be the Whidbey Island Half Marathon in April 2011. I remember sitting in the car with my friend beforehand, looking out the windshield at the torrential downpour, the gusting winds whipping through the trees, and saying, "guess this won't be a PR day." Luckily the rain pretty much stopped by the time the race began, but the wind didn't: gusts were 40, 45 mph. But despite that, and despite the fact that it's a hilly course, I felt strong throughout the race .... running nearly perfect negative splits, with a strong kick at the end. I felt like I ran the most perfect race that I was capable of at that time. I remember looking down at my watch at mile 11, seeing my time, and realizing I could coast the last two miles and I'd still PR. I ended up taking 2 1/2 minutes off my time, and finished 6th in my age group out of 85 women.

And there's this chick that I don't really like that I see at a lot of races .... I beat her by 15 seconds :)
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My very first big organized run: 5K (Susan G. Komen: Race for the Cure). Seemed like thousands of people there. My whole family decided to go with me. My husband had been training some with me and could run the whole 5K on a good day. The kids hadn't trained, but they would run/walk with some of the group, I hoped. The kids were 10, 12, 14. I just hoped they'd be okay and I could find them later in such a huge crowd.

Woke up in the hotel: looked like rain.

By the time we got there and got our bibs: POURING RAIN. Wet shoes, wet gear, wet iPod, WET. Ponchos? Who'd ever thought of packing one for a race? Not me.

I put my iPod on TobyMac, hit "Genius" and hoped for good music. We started off...not in the front of the pack, but not the back. Everyone kept passing me. EVERY ONE.

Even a handicapped guy who swung his legs out in circles to run passed me. No joke.

A woman speed walking passed me. Not even lying.

I was devastated, but kept going, focusing on my music, and avoiding water puddles on the slick bricks part of the run crossed.

I thought, I'll just finish this thing, running all the way, I'll be proud. It won't be a PR, but I'll be accomplished. I read the tshirts of people who passed me "In Memory Of" and it was sobering. I saw people playing in bands for us, some cheerleaders on the sidelines who tried to cheer us up in the rain.

I was getting SO TIRED. The terrain was new, and there were hills. My watch was cloudy. Finally, melting down, I yelled out to some passer-bys who looked like they knew what they were doing, "HOW MUCH FURTHER?" (I hadn't even seen the markers, ducking my head under my hat because of the rain--I'd never run in rain!)

He yells back to me (1 to 2!).

I said, "MILES?!!!"

The pack yelled back, "Between one and two tenths!"

I threw my hands into the rain over my head and yelled, "PRAISE GOD!!!!" They all laughed.

The last tenth was ALL UPHILL. I thought I was going TO DIE.

I crossed the finish line, hearing cancer survivors names being read as each person crossed who that runner was running in honor of. I remembered the little girl I ran beside for a while, her shirt read, "My Mommy".

I started sobbing as I climbed. My effort was nothing. NOTHING. A summer of training, NOTHING compared to their battles every day. Nothing compared to the loss. I crossed. I was proud. Humbled. Wet. Alone.

I got a snack, went back down the hill to find friends and family who needed help finishing. I walked and ran up the hill three more times.

We eventually found everyone up and made it back to the hotel to share our stories.

Checked my chip time the next day. Finished 5th in my gender and age group with my best time ever: 28:22. Never feel intimidated at a race. Not even your first one!