Over 300 lbs.. should i weight train?

Options

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 241 lbs. and I've started weight training. I don't think it's ever too early to start.

A few links to check out:

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-obese-people-lift-weights-lose-weight-5561347.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/losing-body-fat-and-cutting-without-losing-muscle.html

...and if you have a lot of time to read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html (This is only part 1 of a series)

I'll quote part of the first link for the impatient people:

"Obese people need to lift weights because this will 1) speed up their resting metabolism, 2) Tone muscles and thus yield a firmer, shapelier appearance, and 3) vastly improve fitness. The fat-burning effects of intense strength training are unparalleled, more significant than the fat-burning effects of merely pedaling away like an automaton on the elliptical machine or stationary bike."
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Lift weights now to retain your muscles while you lose fat. You cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit... you can only try to keep the muscle you have.

When you lower your calories and create a deficit you will lose muscle along the way. Weight train now... you will retain more muscle as you lose weight.
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I weight train twice a week and I'm just under 300 lbs, but I lifted also when I was over 300. I like it because I am toning as I am losing. I also do cardio (I'm training for a 5K) but the weight lifting helps me build strength, which helps my endurance. A combo is the best bet honestly. Weight lifting is actually very beneficial for women in general. There are a lot of health benefits from it, like it helps to prevent osteoporosis later on (what my trainer told me). Sometimes cardio just isn't enough, and it's good to switch things up because your body becomes used to the same ole thing. Switching it up provides variation for not only your body, but for you too. This way, you won't get bored with working out because it's constantly changing.
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    Lift weights now to retain your muscles while you lose fat. You cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit... you can only try to keep the muscle you have.

When you lower your calories and create a deficit you will lose muscle along the way. Weight train now... you will retain more muscle as you lose weight.

One more thing to add to this: When you lift weights, you are toning at the same time you are losing. If you wait to lift until you've lost 100 pounds, then your skin is already flabby, and it's so hard to tone that once you lose all the weight. The best way is to tackle flabby skin with weight loss is at the same time.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

One more thing to add to this: When you lift weights, you are toning at the same time you are losing. If you wait to lift until you've lost 100 pounds, then your skin is already flabby, and it's so hard to tone that once you lose all the weight. The best way is to tackle flabby skin with weight loss is at the same time.

YOu don't tone a muscle. What people confuse with toning is just losing the layer of fat over the muscle. Lifting, and lifting heavy can help lessen any loose skin though.

You either lose, retain or gain muscle.
  • sogoobtastic
    sogoobtastic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What do you do now for exercise?
    its not much but I've increase my workout from 15 to 30-37 minutes. I do 10 mins plus cooldown on stationary bike 8.5 - 10 RPM, ellipitcal about 3 miles and tredmill is 2.5 to 3 MPH
  • joele54
    Options
    There is a reason your trainer wants you to do weight training. It increases your lean body mass, and that will increase your base metabolic rate, which means that while you are at rest you will have a higher calorie burn rate than you do now. And you can gain muscle mass while losing weight, but you have to eat enough good quality protein to give your body enough of the building material to repair itself, or you will have a problem with catabolic state, where you will lose muscle mass.

It will also improve your figure and hence make you feel better about yourself.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Thanks. :blushing:

I started lifting at 125kgs (275lbs).

My body started changing really quickly, much quicker than the weight came off on the scales.

With lifting heavy, I honestly believe that I look smaller than my weight suggests.

Plus if you start now, you'll have an advantage over lighter people (being able to lift heavier), so once you do hit your goal weight, you'll be a lifting badass.

:wink:
  • sogoobtastic
    sogoobtastic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your replies. I must head to bed and I will check out your links tomorrow. OT I'm posting from my phone. Is anyone else having a problem with the page going to the play store?
  • anastasiab1621
    anastasiab1621 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    YES. Why on earth wouldn't you? You will not bulk up, so just get rid of that idea now. The fat I carry is bulky, not the muscle. I wish there was more muscle.

It's not just about losing weight when it comes to lifting weights (that happens along with a good diet) but you will get strong and with that comes a sense of awesomeness. You will fell badass, trust me. I love lifting - wouldn't exchange 1 deadlift for 1 minute on a boring cross-trainer.

Give it a go. But try to find a trainer who prefers free weights.

Don't put this off until you 'hit a certain weight' Just do it!
  • Ryan0523
    Ryan0523 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are welcome, basically do strength train, but dont blast yourself or try to bench 250lbs lol.. just have small goals like a pull up, or 2 min plank.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    And you don't have to lift free weight, dumbbells or barbell weights, either. Slanted wall, knee, toe pushups. Squats, burpees, chair and floor dips, some light plyometric jumping, if you can works. Bodyweight exercises are just as valid and work well. With pull ups and chin ups being more advanced.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

My body started changing really quickly, much quicker than the weight came off on the scales.

With lifting heavy, I honestly believe that I look smaller than my weight suggests.

Plus if you start now, you'll have an advantage over lighter people (being able to lift heavier), so once you do hit your goal weight, you'll be a lifting badass.

Listen to Deeva, she knows what she's talking about.

Benefits to starting now: increased strength, increased confidence, body recomposition, better balance, stronger bones, and being better able to maintain your muscle mass as you lose.

Drawbacks to starting now: ......................................................
    Yeah, there are none. So go play with heavy stuff, you won't regret it.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    You are welcome, basically do strength train, but dont blast yourself or try to bench 250lbs lol.. just have small goals like a pull up, or 2 min plank.

250lbs is only just above my goal bench.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yes. Do it now. Conserve that lean body mass while you can!
  • caribear1984
    Options
    I started doing strength training at 335 pounds. I am now down to 316 and I've been at it for about six weeks now. I do strength/cardio circuit training twice a week and straight cardio four days. I have dropped inches like crazy and noticed great changes in the shape of my body. It was probably one of the best decisions I ever made. But that's me, and the best exercise for you is the one you'll do consistently. What I would suggest is to try it for a couple of months, and if you don't feel good about it you can always go back to your original plan.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Listen to Deeva, she knows what she's talking about.

Benefits to starting now: increased strength, increased confidence, body recomposition, better balance, stronger bones, and being better able to maintain your muscle mass as you lose.

Drawbacks to starting now: ......................................................
    Yeah, there are none. So go play with heavy stuff, you won't regret it.

^Yeah, all of this. I wish I'd known sooner is all I can say. I would have started weight training at my heaviest rather than later. It really makes a difference and I have to say, it's definitely a confidence booster too! hehehehe
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes. Muscle burns fat. A blend of cardio and strength training is essential for weight loss, overall health and keeping from getting bored. Who wants to just do cardio? Gotta mix it up so you stick with it.
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lift! it's awesome. Take your measurements first and then Lift! Pick up New Rules of Lifting Supercharged if you want a great, adaptable plan... Lifting has made me lose, and made me confident, and it is awesome being stronger. I'm excited for you vicariously!!!!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Yes, lift! I've lost over 40 inches and almost 45 pounds in the first year I've done strength training. And for those who think cardio is the only way to burn calories, that's so not true. I burn over 600 calories during my one hour sessions with my personal trainer. Lifting definitely gets the heart rate going :)