Is it worth all the hunger pain?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I don't normally care about what any one eats, but I just went through 4 days of your diary for the hell of it.

You ate McDonald's, Taco Bell, KFC, Carl's Jr, and other CRAP.

Eat some real food.

Haha crap huh...people get hungry on fruit and vegies too for those not informed. If your hungry eat. Try to be healthy even if your easing into that style..you don't have to go cold turkey. Be realistic though...think about why you're making this change and assess your goals from there.

He did say he had been cheating the last few days

No no. Definitely go cold turkey. It's an awesome lean protein snack that can hold you over.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    A man should not have a calorie goal as low as 1200 cal/day, that's simply not healthy. That's the low end, appropriate for a small woman. A man shouldn't be going below at least 1500-1600. And the foods you are eating are not particularly healthy or filling - you'll find you can eat a lot more if you eat lean proteins, and high-fiber vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Junk food tends to be very high in calories for very little food.

This^^^ The additives in the foods you're consuming are also, in part, designed to make you hungrier for more of the same. I suggest seeing a nutritionist to help you if you're struggling. They're often covered under your health insurance, so it may pay to check there first if you go that route. Best wishes.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am finding it very hard keeping up with this diet. I seem to be always really hungry especially during the evenings. I been cheating a lot for the past few days. I Been thinking is it really worth all the hunger pains at this age, going to be 62 this July. :yawn:

There are really two sides to this. First, there are mental challenges in changing from our old selves into the newer healthy lifestyle we aspire to have. In our minds we sometimes are so used to eating certain portions so many times a day, or sancking, or eating certain foods that the change can manifest itself physically to make use think and feel like we are starving. Secondly though, in many cases, people do have a tendency to want to be too agressive when starting to change and eat too little calories overall.

Normally it is some combination of both.

Try upping the calorie intake a bit, at a level that fits your health goals, and see how that feels and registers.

Cheers.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough! 1200 calories is the minimum for females, 1400-1500 calories is the minimum for males.

MFP won't recommend less than 1200 calories for females (well not that I have noticed), so it seems really odd since they will recommend lower for males :/

Anyways, do some research, you shouldn't be hungry! :( I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I don't normally care about what any one eats, but I just went through 4 days of your diary for the hell of it.

Eat some real food.

Haha crap huh...people get hungry on fruit and vegies too for those not informed. If your hungry eat. Try to be healthy even if your easing into that style..you don't have to go cold turkey. Be realistic though...think about why you're making this change and assess your goals from there.

He did say he had been cheating the last few days

I'm pretty sure that he's informed enough.... Fast food is very calorie dense with little nutrition. I could hit 1200 calories in one sitting at a fast food place. And I would be hungry for the rest of the day because I ate all of my calories at one meal.

To the OP, try raising your calories. In addition, try eating more nutritious, whole foods- less calories, and you can eat more of them. If you're hungry, eat more. I'm never hungry, I eat 200-300 calories every few hours.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    A man should not have a calorie goal as low as 1200 cal/day, that's simply not healthy. That's the low end, appropriate for a small woman. A man shouldn't be going below at least 1500-1600. And the foods you are eating are not particularly healthy or filling - you'll find you can eat a lot more if you eat lean proteins, and high-fiber vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Junk food tends to be very high in calories for very little food.

This^^^ The additives in the foods you're consuming are also, in part, designed to make you hungrier for more of the same. I suggest seeing a nutritionist to help you if you're struggling. They're often covered under your health insurance, so it may pay to check there first if you go that route. Best wishes.

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.
    Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?
    Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"
    Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?
    Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but im going to say it, Ive looked at your diary through past 25 days and all you are eating is crap, burger king, taco bell, etc etc. No wonder you are hungry. Hey i eat mcdonalds sometimes and it makes me hungery, its does, there high fat, high carb and not filling in the slightest. I know from experience that when you eat these things you just want more and more, no wonder, YOU MUST CUT THE CRAP, and thats me being stern not shouting at you.
    Eat more fruit veg,, lean meats , chicken, fish, greek yogurts, almonds etc, your eating all the wrong things all of the time. Im trying to help you by saying this.:wink:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I found a way to eat that eliminates struggling with hunger, cravings and binging. Interestingly, it also resolved a long list of serious health problems. It really isn't necessary to struggle with hunger to lose weight; in fact, if you are struggling with hunger it may be detrimental to weight loss. Possibly, you need to eat more, or you might be someone who benefits from changing WHAT you eat.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    checked your diary and it says MFP recommends 1220 calories for you!? That's why you have hunger pains :( Sad that MFP would recommend this! Perhaps they accidently gave you the recommended calories for a female of your height, weight, age?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Also, based on your entries from the last few days in your diaries, the foods that you are eating are very easily prepared at home and in a much healthier way. Try cooking up a batch of chicken breast on a Sunday night for the week and making your own sandwiches (whole wheat bun, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, *low fat* cheese... everything the same but the crappy fast food meat) and salads (throw some chicken in with some lettuce, spinach, sliced almonds, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, carrots, lower fat dressings or balsamic vinegar) for the week. Not only will you have MANY more calories for other foods, you'll probably save a few dollars as well along the way.
  • EAZE17
    EAZE17 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try to eat more frequently and drink more water - but you might need to up your calories a bit man :smile:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No.
    It shouldn't (and doesn't need to) be painful. Occasional hunger is normal and even healthy. Hunger to the point of pain is not necessay. You need to eat more. Eat at least your BMR. You may need to eat less calorie-dense food to feel full. Or you may be missing some nutritional needs that cause the intense hunger. Are you getting enough protein?

Editing to Add (ETA):
    Just looked at your food diary. Why do you have your daily goal set to 1,200? You are eating WAY too many calorie-dense foods -- almost no vegetables, very low on fiber, too little protein. No wonder you feel awful! That's terrible for your body. Even if you lose weight with this technique, you are almost guaranteed to gain it back. And there is some evidence that yo-yo dieting is worse for your health than being overweight. Please read some of the guides here about loosing weight in a healthy way. If you haven't already found better guidance, I have listed links to a few good guides in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993

I have to disagree with the "calorie dense" foods being the problem. The QUALITY and SOURCE of the calorie dense foods are absolutely factors though. If the calories come from processed crap and fast food, well then yes, there likely will be negative impacts (though lots of MFP experts will say that calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter the food!). I eat calorie dense HEALTHY foods and it's been awesome for my health and weight loss. Bonus, while my food items are more expensive, I eat LESS and save money.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have to second the you are eating crap foods and they will leave you hungry. Try eating whole foods that are minimally processed and you will not feel as hungry. Fruits and veggies will fill you up with a fraction of the calories in onion rings for instance. Also, I would look at your settings. If you have set MFP to 2 lb per week I would change that to 1 lb per week to allow more calories.
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Eat some real food.

This. You may be eating fast food for convenience, but try to cut down. Fast food has very little nutritional value - meaning you are still going to feel hungry because you are NOT supplying your body with the nutrients it needs. Replace some of those fast food meals with whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean meats. You will get a LOT more food for your calories too! I could have half a sandwich at McDonalds for 300 calories.......or, for example, the meal I had last night (2 oz whole wheat thin spaghetti topped with sauteed chopped veggies (5 medium sized mushrooms, 1 zucchini, 1 roma tomato, 4 asparagus spears))........which is a lot more food and a lot more filling, more nutritious, but still only 300 calories.

In addition, you are simply not eating enough. Men are not supposed to eat under 1500 calories a day unless morbidly obese (and even then, should not eat at that level for long) or have some medical condition that calls for that.

I'm a 27 year old woman and I eat 1200 a day - but only because I take a medication for a heart condition that slows my metabolism by 30%. If I didn't take that med I'd easily need to be eating 1600+ calories a day....and that's to lose weight, not maintain it.

So in summary: Eat more. Eat healthier.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey since Jan of '12. I have not felt hungry one minute of any day.

You must be doing something wrong.
    He may in fact be doing something wrong (his diary suggests so) but just because you never feel hungry doesn't mean that's universally true.

I'm down about 50 pounds and have been on maintenance, successfully, since May. I eat as many as 3,000 calories a day because I move... a LOT. I eat VERY clean. I attribute my success to my ability to manage hunger. I almost never shake it entirely.

I began on MFP in November 2011.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey since Jan of '12. I have not felt hungry one minute of any day.

You must be doing something wrong.
    He may in fact be doing something wrong (his diary suggests so) but just because you never feel hungry doesn't mean that's universally true.

I'm down about 50 pounds and have been on maintenance, successfully, since May. I eat as many as 3,000 calories a day because I move... a LOT. I eat VERY clean. I attribute my success to my ability to manage hunger. I almost never shake it entirely.

I began on MFP in November 2011.
    This is true, if you move alot, and do lots of exercise you can eat more, but good foods, with a little treat thrown in. All your doing is hardening your arteries by eating stuff like that all the time.Help your self to a good way of eating.
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary for February, it looks like you ate fast food nearly 3/4 days of the month (Not to mention, sometimes more than one meal on those days).
    I know its convenient that way, but you should try to incorporate some real food into your diet.
    It will also help cut out a lot of that sodium content.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Well, you eat too much fast food. You need to eat foods that have nutritional value and eat more calories. That's basically what everyone is saying, and you probably knew it too. You'll have to reflect on the reasons why you turn to fast food and make changes in your life so that you can start preparing meals at home and then take them with you.

Good luck in your journey!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Eat some real food.

This.Snack on high fiber fruits and veggies,add more LEAN protein and you'll feel full longer.

Your diary is all over the place.some days 1,000 calories short,others 1,000 over.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Eat some real food.

Yeah. You get to eat a lot more when it's real and it's a lot more filling.