Yet another bootcamp

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't remember where I picked this one up but it's a great cardio blaster, especially for those days where all the blasted cardio equipment is being used in the gym..don't wait for it, just do this!

You need dumbbells, an exercise ball, a medicine ball and a mat. You can also do this workout without any equipment. If you don't have dumbbells you can use, water bottles, socks filled with sand, cans of soup. instead of a medicine ball, a bag of sugar or something similar works well.

How To

Warm up with 5-10 minutes of light cardio
Perform each exercise one after the other for 30-60 seconds, modify if needed.
Complete all ten exercises for a 10 minute workout, or repeat the series 2-3 more times for a longer workout

Squat-Thrusts

Stand with feet together. Squat down and place your hands on the floor next to your feet. In an explosive movement, jump feet backwards into a push-up position, jump feet back between hands and stand up. Perform 10 reps, march in place for a few seconds and repeat 10 more reps.

Slow Pushups

Begin in pushup position on a ball or floor. Perform 4 pushups, abs in and back straight. On the 5th pushup, lower halfway down and hold for 4 counts. Push back up and repeat the series - 4 regular pushups and 1 half hold. Repeat for 30-60 seconds.

Plyo-Jacks

Begin with feet together and jump up, taking feet out to the side while circling arms overhead and land in a squat. Jump up and bring feet back together, circling arms back in. This is just like a slow jumping jack, but really use power when pushing up into the jumps. Repeat for 30-60 seconds.

Walking Lunge

Start at one end of the room, holding weights if desired, and step forward with right leg. Bend both knees to 90 degree angles, lowering body into a lunge (keep front knee behind the toe). Bring the left foot forward and step into a lunge. Continue lunging, alternating legs for 30-60 seconds..

Jumping Jacks with Front Kicks

Do one jumping jack. After you jump the feet back together, bring the right knee up and snap the foot out in a front kick (don't extend the leg all the way, but keep a small bend in the knee). Do another jumping jack and kick with the left foot. Continue for 1 minutes, alternating jumping jacks and kicks.

Wall Sit with Chest Squeeze

Hold a medicine ball (or just press the hands together if you have no equipment,) and slide down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the floor while squeezing the ball. Hold this position and keep pressure on the ball as your straighten the arms out in front of you and slowly pull them back in. Repeat the chest squeezes in and out for 30-60 seconds and stand up.

Ski Jumps

Stand with feet together. Bend the knees and jump to the right as far as you can, think of jumping laterally rather than vertically. Land with soft knees and immediately jump laterally to the left. Repeat for 30-60 seconds.

High Jogs

Stand with feet together and hold arms straight out in front of you at mid torso level. Jog in place, bringing knees high enough that they hit your hands (don't lower hands!). Repeat for 30-60 seconds.

Triceps Dips

Sit on a chair or bench with hands next to the hips. Lift up and take the hips forward, just in front of the bench. Bend the elbows and lower down until elbows are about 90 degrees. Squeeze the triceps to push back up and repeat 30-60 seconds.

Pushups/Side Planks

In pushup position (on knees or toes), perform one pushup. As you come up, shift weight to left arm, twist to the side while bringing the right arm up towards the ceiling in a side plank. Lower the arm back to the floor for another pushup and then twist to the other side. Repeat for 30-60 seconds

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    This looks great! I am going to give this one a try once I recover from the kettlebells!
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Awesome. I can't wait to try these out at the gym.

Though as a side note, sand in socks doesn't sound like a good idea... The sand might seep out of the sock. That's just the picture I have in my head of sand in socks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Hey, wanna try out one of my two? I wrote these two for upcoming classes I'll teach. I put em online because
    it was easier than reposting them all the time.

the first one requires a medicine ball, but the second one doesn't (unless you want to substitute)
    I think the second one is better for an individual, the first is better for a group, but both can be done solo as I didn't put
    any team exercises in (except for the pack run, but you can do that on your own).

http://www.harehome.org/bootcamp1.htm
    http://www.harehome.org/bootcamp2.htm

here's the thing, I wrote these for me, as guidelines to give to students, and
    other trainers could read them pretty easilly, but I didn't describe much in
    them so if you want to do it, but don't know something, then just ask me.

FYI, this is an EXTREMELY high intensity boot camp so be very careful and take
    extra breaks if you need to.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Hey, wanna try out one of my two? I wrote these two for upcoming classes I'll teach. I put em online because
    it was easier than reposting them all the time.

the first one requires a medicine ball, but the second one doesn't (unless you want to substitute)
    I think the second one is better for an individual, the first is better for a group, but both can be done solo as I didn't put
    any team exercises in (except for the pack run, but you can do that on your own).

http://www.harehome.org/bootcamp1.htm
    http://www.harehome.org/bootcamp2.htm

here's the thing, I wrote these for me, as guidelines to give to students, and
    other trainers could read them pretty easilly, but I didn't describe much in
    them so if you want to do it, but don't know something, then just ask me.

FYI, this is an EXTREMELY high intensity boot camp so be very careful and take
    extra breaks if you need to.

oooooh a challenge! I'm going to print them off and take them into the gym with me tonight...I can't wait! I love new stuff!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    might be tough in the gym, I do the second one in the gym, but I can't do the monsters because my gym is too small. But if you have a basketball court or an open classroom then you should be able to do them.

So I modefied the monsters to instead be 4X 5yard. so I do like 12 or 14 of these, depending on how my knees feel that day. these ones are rough on the legs (lots of high pressure knee and ankle turns, like basketball).
This discussion has been closed.