so confused! please help

Options
I am fairly new to this and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing. I am 182 pounds 5'4" and also breastfeeding a 7 month old but want to lose weight. Not sire how many calories to eat. My suggested calorie intake is 1200 and I figure I need to add an extra 400-500 since I'm nursing. So that puts me at approx 1600-1700 daily intake. If I exercise do I need to be eating those calories back to maintain a good milk supply? However, if I do eat them back, will I still lose weight? I am fine with losing a pound per week as lo by as I'm losing and not feeling starved or like my supply is diminished. Please help explain what I should be doing....I have a hard time understanding the whole net calorie thing and how eating them back either helps or hurts weight loss. Thank you for your help!!

Replies

• KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    Drink, drink, and drink. That really helps with the milk. Also on most feedings, have the baby breast feed first and then give solids. This way he or she will eat more milk. he or she is still very young and should get most nutrition form you. You of course know this already. The milk has lots of calores, let the baby grow and suck those calories from you :)

And I'd eat back the exercise calories. Think of it this way, if you eat 1200+500 for bf and then exercise 500 cals worth. That becomes 1200+500-500 and while it would be great to tell the body to use that extra weight for milk, it will probably rather save calories by producing less milk...eating back exercise calories only brings you to your regular weight loss level like this 1200+500 for bf-500 for exercise + 500 eating back. Same as not exercising, but healthier since you become fitter!
  • christiandjoel
    christiandjoel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding a 6 month old baby. In January I spoke with a lactation consultant at the hospital regarding losing weight & diet, and she said to eat at least 1900 calories per day and to drink when thirsty. So, I have my food log set to 1900 calories, and if I exercise, I can eat 2100 calories. Feel free to friend me, if ud like. :)
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would look into finding out your BMR and TDEE and go from there. I would not do a 1200 cal/day diet. That is too low for most people not to mention you are breastfeeding.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone, eat back the exercise calories and the calories you get from breast feeding.
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    yes you need more cals. and eat back the ones you earn. the exercising will raise your metabolic rate and do all sorts of wonderful things for you.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    According to the scooby BMR calculator, you should be eating at least 1800 calories per day to lose weight most effectively. I would speak to your doctor regarding breastfeeding calories.
  • xrainelx
    xrainelx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! The support I get in here is amazing and makes me feel so good!!! I think I know what to do now....I'm going to dtick with the 1800 range and also eat back my exercise calories while drinking lots of water......thank you for such fast replies! You are all awesome!!! :smile:
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Below is a response that I found on another topic about eating your calories burned. It really made me think. Here you go:

I've always eaten back my exercise calories. I'll tell you why I exercise:
    -for cardiovascular fitness
    -to maintain muscle mass (especially important while I was losing weight)
    -to maintain good bone density
    -to manage my moods and keep me sane (cardio)
    -to learn to do something (running) that I never thought I could do - massive confidence boost
    -because there is a lot of research that indicates that exercise helps ward off all kind of lifestyle-related diseases
    -because it's fun
    -to raise my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) so that I can eat more. Some people are a bit sniffy about this reason, but having a couple of hundred extra calories a day to consume makes a low calorie diet much more manageable, and enjoyable. I'm not ashamed to say I like to eat.
    -because since I started heavy lifting, my body looks a lot better than it did before, and than it would if I was just doing cardio
    -because it makes me feel strong and able to do physical tasks in every day life (and will hopefully reduce the risk of injury in such tasks)

There are probably a lot more. The reason I always ate those calories back was because I was following MFP the way it was designed (there are other ways) and to keep my calorie deficit reasonable. I didn't want to lose too much lean mass as I lost weight, and I didn't want to feel tired and lacking in energy. There was a time when my calorie deficit was too large (I always ate back my execise calories but my basic calorie goal was too low) and I felt tired all the time, had dizzy spells and my mood really suffered. I was trying to start running and never had the energy to put the required effort in. That would have been even worse if I hadn't eaten my exercise calories.
    Edited by JesterMFP on Thu 02/28/13 04:54 AM
  • brett1117
    Options
    easiest thing to do is consult your Dr!! When it comes to your baby and nursing, don't take anyone's word on here! Sorry to be rude but your Dr is best advice!