What to you struggle with most when it comes to food?

Options
2»

Replies

• conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Eating after 7 pm seems to be a big problem for me and forgetting to log some foods. At night I eat and really don't care (at the moment) if I log the food. It's guilt. Then I do it the next day and it looks really bad.

i have a problem with this too! I lost a few pounds and that was eating and logging everything that i ate. I gained a few pounds back by eating AFTER I logged! Yesterday, I did really well and logged. Then, at 9pm, ate handfuls of crackers? I think tonight, I will do laundry instead of watching tv!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend growing your own if you have the space and it sounds like you have some experience in it.

Also, not wanting to state the obvious, but are you looking in greengrocers as well as supermarkets? I'm assuming you're in the UK from your mention of £s... I can get punnets of berries much cheaper in my local greengrocer than in the supermarket. Other things are much cheaper too, although not everything so it's worth comparing.

Also, check out this: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-supermarket-shopping
    If you scroll down to the "reduction schedule" - it can be really handy to know when your usual supermarket starts discounting stuff. Even if it has today's date on it, you can freeze it (fruit & veg, meat, fish), or make soups etc to make it last longer.
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Quorn Mince is really healthy and is often on special. I don't eat meat, but even if I did I would use Quorn for Bolognese or Shepherds Pie it is so low in Fat - especially saturated fat.

Yeah, I love my quorn mince too - and a £2 bag of it will make 4 portions - maybe more if you put in lentils or beans too. Buy it up frozen when it's on special - which it ofen is. Even when it's not on special, I find the quorn fillets and 'chicken'/'beef' style strips are better value than the equivalent value brand meats (with of course no worries about high fat proportions, or horses!). I'm not a veggie but I do this simply for the calories being lower and the cost. The supermarket own brand veggie minces are also good - but I prefer the quorn one for taste.

My only recommendation for cooking with quorn (especially quorn mince) is follow the quorn recipes (i.e. the ones on their website). With the strips it's certainly just possible to bung them in a stirfry like you would regular meat - same goes for the 'fillets' which sort of behave like chicken fillets. The problem I have found with the mince is if I treat it like I would do beef mince, and follow my traditional recipes it always comes out a bit disappointing/tasteless/water-y. I tried it the first time and thought 'yuk, I'm sticking with beef'... I gave it another try when it was on special at the supermarket and following the quorn recipe and it turned out very well... I now make it regularly. It contains a lot of chopped veggies which you could use to bulk out the recipe too.

If your family are a fan of spicy food, try making a veggie lentil curry - healthy, bulky and things like canned carrots, cauliflower, green beans and canned potatoes are really good in it!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue still is knowing when to stop eating, I swear if I hadn't weighed and measured everything on my plate I'd never stop. All you can eat restaurants fear a visit from me, I can pack away an extraordinary amount of food and still have room to squeeze in a dessert. *sighs*

My best advice to you is to head to Aldi or Lidl, try some tinned fruits (Aldi do BIG tubs in fruit juice, so cheap!) and veg too. I'm with BerryH on the value of a roasting joint, and if you've still got some left over after a couple of days slice it and put it in the freezer for sandwiches or a quick dinner, that's what I'll be doing this evening with my pork joint :flowerforyou:
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've found that turkey is usually quite cheap and I love it! I sometimes use minced turkey for chilli, diced turkey for curry or chow mein and marinade turkey fillets in some kind of sauce.

I also use chicken thighs instead of breast which is much cheaper. If you have the time just take out the bone, peel off the skin, trim the fatty bits and the fillets of meat are great (I actually prefer thigh meat to breast meat anyway).