How to find TDEE

Options
13»

Replies

• aminswife
    aminswife Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This. ^ I made the same mistake by entering to my actual goal weight before. If your weight is 200lbs, enter 200lbs as goal weight, not your real goal number. THEN, depending on your activity level, deduct that from your daily calories needed.

Example: I'm 192, Female, 63 inches, 40.6% body fat, and lightly active when I'm NOT exercising, given my job - My TDEE is 2314. I want to eat 20% below my TDEE, so I'll subtract that. Whether you want to do 10% or 30% (30 more recommended for morbidly obese), then do so. Here's my example below.

____
    462.8 (round up to 463). Follow that by subtracting, now.

____
    1851 - the amount of calories I could consume at -20% of my TDEE, and still lose, all the while staying above my BMR, which was an estimate 1680 from the Harris Benedict, and 1400 something in the Katch method. Either way, I'm above both yet still under TDEE, that's all that matters.

As far as exercise goes, I've learned to eat back occasionally 80% or all of my exercise calories, as I'm already in a calorie deficit to begin with (-463). I say 80% because I'd like to go slightly over 500+ cals in my deficit to aim to lose one pound a week. 7 x 500 = 3500 = one pound! (Sorry for all the math here, thought maybe visually it would help some.) If you need any help with it or calculating yours, PM me and I'll do my best to help. :)

Thanks I understood you. Using this method have you found it to work? I can't understand why I've not lost a pound when I've been eating my 1200 cals - this is then a 1000 calorie deficit to my TDEE (supposing its 2221)
  • aminswife
    aminswife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    And thank you ndj1979 for all your help! Appreciate it.
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    Remember too, that if you go too low your body will go into hold mode and you will not loose. if you need to be at 1,600 to loose and you hit 1,200 it may be frustrating to not see loss. Try staying in your loss range but upping your calories and getting plenty of fiber and water. Slightly dull advice but it works!:wink:
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Calculators are the worst way to calculate your TDEE.

You need to eat what you normally eat, and do what you normally do , and record your weight over a period of a week or two.
    Then judge your net calorie balance from that. Adjust and repeat.

But use a trend analysing system such as the one available at 'hackers diet online' , to help you see through the statistical static of daily water fluctuation.

Wrong! The TDEE works for me and for many many many people here on MFP
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's mine: TDEE 2397
    BMR 1547

So TDEE-20% would be 1900 calories. That just seems so high to me?? Once I calculate that, do I eat back my exercise calories? What if I put it at 1500 and eat back all of my exercise calories? Would that be the same thing? Confused!!
  • graciepecie
    Options
    BMR 1547

So TDEE-20% would be 1900 calories. That just seems so high to me?? Once I calculate that, do I eat back my exercise calories? What if I put it at 1500 and eat back all of my exercise calories? Would that be the same thing? Confused!!

Nope, if your TDEE realy is 2397, then 1900 is good for you. Never eat 1500 because your BMR is 1547. You don't ever eat below your BMR. Stay between your BMR and your TDEE. If you take your TDEE - 20% than you don't eat your exercise back. You just eat every day eat 1900.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well about this!
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    BMR 1547

Nope, if your TDEE realy is 2397, then 1900 is good for you. Never eat 1500 because your BMR is 1547. You don't ever eat below your BMR. Stay between your BMR and your TDEE. If you take your TDEE - 20% than you don't eat your exercise back. You just eat every day eat 1900.

Thank you SO much!
  • graciepecie
    Options
    BMR 1547

Your welcome! Use this method it really works!! And you don't even have to starve yourself! Isn't that great?

Thank you SO much!