How to accurately measure body fat

Options
Would like to get a good reading, what is the best way?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    A Bod Pod Scan. It's very, very accurate. Scales and calipers are not. You could also get a DEXA scan (most accurate) but that does expose you to radiation and is likely more costly than the Bod Pod. The Bod Pod costs me $75 at the local hospital system, but that's on the high side. I'd say $50 is more common, and I've seen less than that too.

I had mine tested last July. Online calculators gave me anywhere from 27% to 44%, with closer to 44% being the most common. In reality, I was 39%. Once I had that official value, I checked every online calculator I could find and none of them gave me anywhere near that value. I have an appointment in about 2 weeks to have it tested again, now that I'm about 20 lbs. thinner. It will be nice to see my ratio of fat loss to LBM loss as I continue to lose weight.

Here's a locator service: http://www.cosmedusa.com/locator

Also, it will also give you an estimate of your BMR. However, that is based solely on formulas (it doesn't actually test BMR). I had my BMR tested the same day I did the Bod Pod. Bod Pod estimated my BMR at 1440 and my actual BMR was 1662.
  • jonaswik77
    jonaswik77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd say just go with a scale that has the feature built in. Why bother getting an absolute and precise measurement? If you see progress on the scales body fat monitor over time, then you are moving in the right direction. Yes, they are not fully reliable, but still a good tool to use.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I just went to get a DEXA scan.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I find digital calipers to be the best. I measure three times and take the average. Then, I compare it to what I consider the best body fat online calculator. They're usually extremely close.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    One way to get it done that most people don't know about...

Local Universities and colleges..

Most of them have a Sports Training program and for a donation, (Usually like $25 to $50) they can do a bodpod, dexa scan or a water displacement test. This way students get trained and you get to have your body fat measured. I've done it that way a couple times.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I think calipers are more likely to be consistent over time than the scales. I've heard the scales swing widely based on your hydration levels and such. So if you're going low tech,, calipers might not give completely accurate results, but will likely give consistent results to track change.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I just went to get a DEXA scan.

How much did you pay and where did you get it done? I may opt for that when I'm at my goal weight, but I haven't found anywhere that does it specifically for body composition (rather than bone density)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Calipers cost between $5-10 and are as accurate as you can get without having body fat measured by a professional. They are the best for everyday use.

BodPod scans are the second most accurate way to measure (usually off by anywhere between 3-5%). They usually cost around $50.

DeXA scans are the most accurate measurement. At my local university, you can get one done for $75-90 with a discount if you order two (one now and one for later). I had a couple DeXA scans done and like it the best because it actually gets a literal picture of your body and specific numbers for muscle density (and associated weight), muscle mass, organ (or other fat free) mass, and fat mass.

When I'm done losing weight, I will get another DeXA scan (I got one at the beginning of my weight loss and one in the middle so I'm going to have one done at the end for comparison).

Scales that measure body fat can be very far off. They measure by electrical impedance which means it sends an electrical signal through your body and measures the time it takes for the signal to get back. Everything from bowls and bladder can throw it off, the signal also only travels up one leg, across your pelvis and down the other leg so it only estimates the body fat in your lower body (which can give a number that is either too high or too low depending on where you carry extra weight). They can be off by more than 10%.

For everyday at home measurements, I would get a pair of calipers. If you want an extremely accurate measurement, I would get a DeXA scan done.

[There are a bunch of websites that will use your body measurements to estimate body fat and they can be pretty far off, if you have other options, (that aren't a scale) I would pick a different way.]
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I believe the Bod Pod or the DEXA scan are the most accurate you can get. They do cost a bit of money though (how much depends on where you live and who offers them).

Next to the above I believe calipers are the next most accurate method if they are used correctly. Sometimes gyms will use them... some people purchase their own.

Last, and least accurate would be your at home scale. They are not known to be even close to accurate sometimes. Mine will vary by 5-10% depending on the time of day, what I have consumed and how I step on my scale. They can be good as a guide but don't think they are accurate. I only have a scale that does body fat because it was on sale when I needed to purchase a scale. If it wasn't on sale I wouldn't spend the money. For the average cost of body fat % scales they are not worth the price due to the low accuaracy. I check mine now and again to get a view of progress but I know it's not totally acurate.
  • boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Skinfold calipers are cheap and fairly accurate. Best choice all around. Statistical variance is around 3-4%.

I found a 7-fold calculator which gives the best estimate using calipers:
    http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/skin-fold-test.html

You can just take 3 measurements and estimate that way, but in my opinion if you're going thru the hassle, might as well take 7 measurements instead. You probably should enlist the help of someone who has practice doing this...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    A Bod Pod Scan. It's very, very accurate. Scales and calipers are not. You could also get a DEXA scan (most accurate) but that does expose you to radiation and is likely more costly than the Bod Pod. The Bod Pod costs me $75 at the local hospital system, but that's on the high side. I'd say $50 is more common, and I've seen less than that too.

I had mine tested last July. Online calculators gave me anywhere from 27% to 44%, with closer to 44% being the most common. In reality, I was 39%. Once I had that official value, I checked every online calculator I could find and none of them gave me anywhere near that value. I have an appointment in about 2 weeks to have it tested again, now that I'm about 20 lbs. thinner. It will be nice to see my ratio of fat loss to LBM loss as I continue to lose weight.

Here's a locator service: http://www.cosmedusa.com/locator

Also, it will also give you an estimate of your BMR. However, that is based solely on formulas (it doesn't actually test BMR). I had my BMR tested the same day I did the Bod Pod. Bod Pod estimated my BMR at 1440 and my actual BMR was 1662.

I got the Bod Pod done. It was $80 and it pays for 2 sessions. So you can do a before and after. Havent done session 2 yet.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale as well as calipers.

Digital scale: is usually several points higher than the calipers, however measures -/+ pretty accurately
    Calipers: seem very consistant

*the lower my bf% gets, the difference between the two seems to get larger & larger. I Plan on getting some kind of bod pod / or dexa scan when i complete my 12 wk cut to get an accurate reading.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Here's a whole series kind of outlining how well different methods seem to work:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=146
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'd say just go with a scale that has the feature built in. Why bother getting an absolute and precise measurement? If you see progress on the scales body fat monitor over time, then you are moving in the right direction. Yes, they are not fully reliable, but still a good tool to use.

That's my view. I've used a Tanita scale for about 10 years and I use it to look at general trends. I try to weigh myself under the same conditions.

I wouldn't mind having a scan at some point.

I'm not an athlete or other person who needs extreme precision. I'm a woman trying to lose some vanity pounds.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    One way to get it done that most people don't know about...

Local Universities and colleges..

Most of them have a Sports Training program and for a donation, (Usually like $25 to $50) they can do a bodpod, dexa scan or a water displacement test. This way students get trained and you get to have your body fat measured. I've done it that way a couple times.

Very true. My first degree was in exercise science and w were ALWAYS looking for victims, ermmm...clients to measure. I also work at a local college and they do the same. I have a fitness center membership here as well and it is a free service compared to national gym chains that charge.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great feedback !
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    According to my Aria scales, mine has gone from 39.3% (@158lbs) at end of Oct (after 2 week cruise) down to 33.1% this morning. I'm 5'5 and weigh in at 140.7

I've been told scales aren't an accurate measurement, but nevertheless it's going down...that's good enough for me! Trying to get under 30%
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Scales that measure body fat can be very far off. They measure by electrical impedance which means it sends an electrical signal through your body and measures the time it takes for the signal to get back. Everything from bowls and bladder can throw it off, the signal also only travels up one leg, across your pelvis and down the other leg so it only estimates the body fat in your lower body (which can give a number that is either too high or too low depending on where you carry extra weight). They can be off by more than 10%.
    This makes so much sense! I have a tanita scale and the BF% numbers can vary by 3% day to day, and it is consistently much higher (by 7-8%) over online calculators that use measurements to estimate BF%. I carry all of my extra weight in my hips and thighs, so of course my BF% is much higher in my lower body. I've also noticed that if I ever weigh myself in the evening, the scale will show my BF% several points lower than first thing in the morning. I don't trust it but I still watch for a downward trend.