are squats harder being tall

Options
I started doing squats and struggle a lot with them. I noticed shorter girls doing a lot more weight with ease. I'm 6'4" and have to bend my knees a lot more. Any other tall ladies struggle with this or do I just have weak legs lol

Replies

• bocana38
    Options
    Well I struggle with them and I'm only 5'9". It makes sense with longer legs that it would be tougher. How much weight are you doing?
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'. I thought it was just me.:embarassed:
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2in and I struggle! Could be to do with your centre of gravity.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Body proportion more than height will have an effect.

Typically it depends on the ratio of upper and lower leg length and the ratio of torso and leg length.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Height shouldn't affect it much. It's all about dem muscles. You just started as well, work on proper form to start and they start getting easier.

**Interesting article. According to Men's Health. Shorter Legs will be able to squat more on average but the different is very small. It still comes down to hard work and genetics. According to a scan posted on bb.com. ** Another guy posted that femur size would also come into play..
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Height has nothing to do with bending more...x degrees is x degrees be it tall or small. But if you have less muscle mass or are newer or other factors can make it harder (I'm hypermobile and get down way to far...if thats what you mean with bend more then yes that can cause weight to feel heavier.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My 5'11" fiance insists they're harder because he's tall. My 6'2" trainer says "Nah. It's all good." I'm 5'2" and have no issues. :happy:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't think height has anything to do with that.

I go to a karate class where there's mainly kids and they struggle to a few reps with no weights whereas I breeze through them. I think it's more to do with your own strength.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I don't think height has anything to do with that.

I go to a karate class where there's mainly kids and they struggle to a few reps with no weights whereas I breeze through them. I think it's more to do with your own strength.

Agreed!! I am 6'2" and I have issues with them. My legs used to be really strong but once I got out of school and stopped walking everywhere, I lost quite a bit. I lost even more after I stopped dancing every weekend. Its all about the strength in your legs. I also have bad knees so that causes a little bit more of an issue, even when I am doing them right.

GOOD LUCK!! We'll get there...I am already starting to see a difference and feeling much better doing them.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I couldn't say. I'm short. If you're all legs, and have a comparatively short torso, it might be a little more difficult just because of where your center of gravity is. In any case, the problems you're having probably come down to being a newbie at doing squats. Make sure your form is good and keep working at it, they get much easier over time. I remember the first squats workout I did, I was walking funny and my thighs hurt for days afterward. After the second, I was just a little sore the next morning, and that's as much stiffness from not moving for 6 hours as anything else.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    I already mentioned proportions, but for all those of you who say height has nothing to do with it, think about this:

Let's assume its a perfect world, and everyone has no mobility restrictions, and can squat butt to heels.
    Are you saying the distance between a short persons butt and heels is the same as a tall persons? Typically taller people have to move the weight further.

This is why in weightlifting, among other sports there are weight classes, which effectively are height classes. The lower weight guys and girls will lift less absolute weight than the bigger classes, because they have less muscle mass, but relative to their bodyweight, they will lift much more, because of the leverage and distance they have to move the weight advantages they have.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I already mentioned proportions, but for all those of you who say height has nothing to do with it, think about this:

Let's assume its a perfect world, and everyone has no mobility restrictions, and can squat butt to heels.
    Are you saying the distance between a short persons butt and heels is the same as a tall persons? Typically taller people have to move the weight further.

This is why in weightlifting, among other sports there are weight classes, which effectively are height classes. The lower weight guys and girls will lift less absolute weight than the bigger classes, because they have less muscle mass, but relative to their bodyweight, they will lift much more, because of the leverage and distance they have to move the weight advantages they have.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HelloDan
    Options
    This is one of the major reasons as to why I am here, as want to move up to the 105kg weight class, because then I have less shortasses to compete against, it's not because I want to get fat!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 with very long femurs compared to rest of my body >>> watch this ....helps clarify why it is more difficult to squat when you are tall......https://youtu.be/UmknaFEFcF0
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Strength and mobility/flexibility play roles.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 feet and I do believe it's harder for taller people. It makes since taller people have to bend down farther
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 feet and I do believe it's harder for taller people. It makes since taller people have to bend down farther

That was my first thought too. A 5" foot persons butt is a lot closer to the ground than a 6" person...

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    90 degree angle is a 90 degree angle

If they have longer limbs they have longer muscles

Squats are just generally hard..they're supposed to be ...look at all the muscles they're using...and if they get easy, add more weight and adapt them
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, squats amd bench pressing are generally harder with long limbs, but you can't do anythink but keep working hard. Generally tall, long limbed lifters have a mechanical advantage doing deadlifts though.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    90 degree angle is a 90 degree angle

If they have longer limbs they have longer muscles

Squats are just generally hard..they're supposed to be ...look at all the muscles they're using...and if they get easy, add more weight and adapt them
    Its not just about the angle. It's also about leverage and proportions and how far the weight has to be moved.