NEED HELP with Flaxseed :-(

Options
For the first time, I ground up some flax seed and put 1 Tbl into my smoothie, and it was AWFUL! Not the taste, because I hardly noticed it, but the TEXTURE was HORRID! It was so gritty, I found myself coughing because I felt as if it was getting stuck in my throat :sick: Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm about ready to throw out the entire bag

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I've never put it in my smoothie. I do add it to my oatmeal, though. I buy the Hodgson Mill already ground flax seed. I'm too lazy to grind it myself. :smile:
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thi(ng. I might use it for baking/cooking, but not for shakes! (I guess we just aren't gritty enough!)
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OMG! I'm literally STILL trying to chug this smoothie down because I don't want to throw it away and admit defeat! LOL :sad:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    OMG! I'm literally STILL trying to chug this smoothie down because I don't want to throw it away and admit defeat! LOL :sad:

Did you try blending it some more?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if Omega 3's are so damn healthy, why do they make all the foods they're in taste like ****? (that's intentionally humorous/rhetorical, don't answer that)

Other than adding to baked goods, I've just mixed some milled seed in water and drank it like metamucil before.
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would ever try to put it in a drink. I do use it a lot in other foods though. I sprinkle it on salads and cereal and mix it into baked goods. I think of it as nutty and pretty much use it where I use other nuts. So, don't throw it out. Well, maybe throw out the smoothie. :wink:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I always add it to my oatmeal with honey and blueberries or whatever other concoction I try with oatmeal that morning. I've never notice it really. I guess it wouldnt occur to me to add it to a smoothie either. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. :)
  • drlaurafsu
    drlaurafsu Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I put about 2 heaping tsp into my smoothies. First I had to build up to that amount. Start with one tsp and then gradually add as you acquire the taste. Second you have to really blend it up to get them to where you don't taste the texture. I have a vitamix and it only pulverizes them on high speed.
  • DorisR184
    Options

Did you try blending it some more?

I'm starting to wonder if when I was grinding the whole seed, I didn't let it go long enough... Either way, I'm not brave enough to put it into another smoothie lol but I'll try it in something else next time. :smile:
  • DorisR184
    Options
    I always add it to my oatmeal with honey and blueberries or whatever other concoction I try with oatmeal that morning. I've never notice it really. I guess it wouldnt occur to me to add it to a smoothie either. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. :)

Literally "Chalk" that's what I felt I had put into my smoothie lol :embarassed:
  • DorisR184
    Options
    I put about 2 heaping tsp into my smoothies. First I had to build up to that amount. Start with one tsp and then gradually add as you acquire the taste. Second you have to really blend it up to get them to where you don't taste the texture. I have a vitamix and it only pulverizes them on high speed.

Thanks for the idea! I'm going to start with little bits until I get used to it. Wish me luck :bigsmile:
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I buy the pre ground golden flax seed and its like a powdered sugar texture and isnt gritty at all... its most likely the shell isnt ground enough for the texture you are looking for... chug it down and maybe try grinding your next batch a bit more next time
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    For the first time, I ground up some flax seed and put 1 Tbl into my smoothie, and it was AWFUL! Not the taste, because I hardly noticed it, but the TEXTURE was HORRID! It was so gritty, I found myself coughing because I felt as if it was getting stuck in my throat :sick: Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm about ready to throw out the entire bag

You can buy the flaxseed oil....I've never tried in smoothies though.
  • shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try flax oil! I use it in my green smoothies. I bought a bottle of it (organic) at my local co-op and you can't even taste it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I just bought some already ground (Red Mill brand I think?) and I've only tried it in oatmeal so far but it was fine! I didn't even really notice it.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have never used it in a ground format. This morning I put a table spoon of flax seed along with two table spoons of dry roasted pumpkin seeds in my oatmeal before cooking it. It seems to soften both of the seeds up. I've also used it in soup. I have thought of doing the following to break the little seeds up along with pumpkin seeds.

I usually trough the same amounts of the two seeds into a cup and fill the reset with plain yogurt and chop up about four fresh mint leaves nice and fine and mix it all together. They make it down into my gut with the yogurt, though if they were ground would probably be able suck the goodness out of them easier, but that little concoction I call a Minty seedy twirl. I have thought of mixing up a bigger batch of it and use an immersion blender on it but I don't have one and I'm too lazy to clean my regular blender.

Try it, it might work for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have never used it in a ground format. This morning I put a table spoon of flax seed along with two table spoons of dry roasted pumpkin seeds in my oatmeal before cooking it. It seems to soften both of the seeds up. I've also used it in soup. I have thought of doing the following to break the little seeds up along with pumpkin seeds.

I usually trough the same amounts of the two seeds into a cup and fill the reset with plain yogurt and chop up about four fresh mint leaves nice and fine and mix it all together. They make it down into my gut with the yogurt, though if they were ground would probably be able suck the goodness out of them easier, but that little concoction I call a Minty seedy twirl. I have thought of mixing up a bigger batch of it and use an immersion blender on it but I don't have one and I'm too lazy to clean my regular blender.

Try it, it might work for you.
    I've read that if you DONT ground it, you don't get the benefit because it stays whole as it passes through your system. Just a thought.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    What I do is sprinkle it in my yogurt and peanut butter (I mix them all together). I also put it on top of peanut butter and jelly, and also in my oatmeal. Oh, and on salads.
  • scress0514
    scress0514 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i buy the whole flax seeds and use them for my salads, oatmeal, cottage cheese, soups...i put them on everything i can, i dont grind them up. try that you might like them better whole.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Here's a link on "whole" versus "ground"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/AN01258