not losing weight

Hey Everyone!
I've been using this site to do a low calorie diet for a while. Two weeks ago i also incorporated low carb. So, now i'm having under 50 carbs a day, which naturally ends up under 1200 calories a day. I'm having 3 meals a day and don't feel starved. I also track everything.
I work out 3-4 times a week. With all this, i haven't lost a pound! 1 weigh 143 now and am 5.5. Weighing myself is confusing cause it changes by 3 or 4 pounds back and forth everyday. But, overall, not losing weight. What am i doing wrong?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    You're not eating enough.
  • rachiech13
    rachiech13 Posts: 37 Member
    There are sooo many newbies who do this! I was one of them! Please search through the forums and research your BMR and do a BMR calcuation. just google it! You need to eat MORE than the prescribed number of calories in your BMR or your body will not function!
    GOodluck!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Eat more. Check what your BMR and TDEE are.

Your deficit is far too large so you are most likely losing muscle mass.

If you can't get your calories up while keeping your carbs lower, up your carbs. You need carbs for energy and unless you have an issue with carbs there is no need to limit them.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    You're not eating enough.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    You may not feel starved, but if you're consistently coming in under 1200 a day and have been for awhile, your body has probably adjusted to the low intake, your metabolism has probably dropped, and your body is holding onto everything it can because it is starving. Eat too low for too long and you give your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Food is fuel! 1200 calories is likely less than what a doctor would feed you if you were in a coma, and you are certainly not comatose, so you should eat more! :bigsmile:

I have had great success following the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 Great info there on calculating how much you should be eating. Why eat so little, restricting carbs and the like when you can eat a good healthy amount of food and still lose the fat?

I started on 1200, stalled, was hungry, grouchy, eventually burned out and exhausted without enough energy for workouts. Now I'm eating 1800+ calories a day and haven't had any stalls or plateaus in a year - just consistent progress.
  • kaseychay
    kaseychay Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you so much! This is really helpful. i've always been into exercise and eating healthy foods and was really confused the last few months when i first put weight on and then got stuck at the same spot. I see that i have been doing this wrong.Thanks