Is a calorie alway just a calorie?

Options
I've seen this discussion many times on MFP, and have always been of the opinion all calories are not created equal. Here is an interesting article on the issue: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lustig-md/sugar-toxic_b_2759564.html

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've seen this discussion many times on MFP, and have always been of the opinion all calories are not created equal. Here is an interesting article on the issue: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lustig-md/sugar-toxic_b_2759564.html

LOLstig

Calories are units of energy
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Like acg said, a calorie is just a measurement. The nutritional value that equates to that unit of measurement might differ. But a calorie is always a calorie.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can get this out before the arguments get ridiculous.

There is no time that a calorie is not a calorie.

Never is something that is not a calorie a calorie.

So yes, a calorie is always a calorie.

People are going to start in with "There's a difference between a calorie from cake and a calorie from lettuce!" No there isn't. The macros are different, yes. One is going to provide more vitamins and minerals and so on. But a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

And if you don't have too many of them, you'll lose weight.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can get this out before the arguments get ridiculous.

There is no time that a calorie is not a calorie.

Never is something that is not a calorie a calorie.

So yes, a calorie is always a calorie.

People are going to start in with "There's a difference between a calorie from cake and a calorie from lettuce!" No there isn't. The macros are different, yes. One is going to provide more vitamins and minerals and so on. But a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

And if you don't have too many of them, you'll lose weight.

/endthread.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to their lies! A calorie is not a calorie!

Sometimes it's a hat, or a brooch, maybe a pterodactyl....

johnny.jpg

Just kidding. Of course a calorie is a calorie.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

Sometimes it's a hat, or a brooch, maybe a pterodactyl...

I was thinking EXACTLY that! Get out of my head man!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Who else predicts on page 5 the debate between a lb of muscle and lb of fat will ensue?
  • practicalwisdom
    Options
    Sure calories are all units of energy, but the distinction is in how your body processes the energy that can impact weight loss. Eating highly processed foods that spike blood sugar will impact your energy and hunger levels, negating weight loss. Whole foods satisfy longer and aid weight loss. For me, higher quality/higher calories > low quality/low calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    the distinction is in how your body processes the energy that can impact weight loss. Eating highly processed foods that spike blood sugar will impact your energy and hunger levels, negating weight loss. Whole foods satisfy longer and aid weight loss. For me, higher quality/higher calories > low quality/low calories.

That first sentence is not true to any remotely significantly degree.

Hit your macro targets, and the body composition will follow.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Sure calories are all units of energy, but the distinction is in how your body processes the energy that can impact weight loss. Eating highly processed foods that spike blood sugar will impact your energy and hunger levels, negating weight loss. Whole foods satisfy longer and aid weight loss. For me, higher quality/higher calories > low quality/low calories.

Exactly! Those who actually bothered to read the article before posting might have learned something.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

Exactly! Those who actually bothered to read the article before posting might have learned something.

Sorry. I guess I'll just remain ignorant. One of these days I'll listen to all of you good people trying to tell me how to lose weight.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

johnny.jpg

Dead. Hands down the best post of the day.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    calories are always the same, but what they provide & how they fill you up is different

calorie_density_bulk.jpg

this.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.
    Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.
    No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:
    This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options

Sometimes it's a hat, or a brooch, maybe a pterodactyl...

I was thinking EXACTLY that! Get out of my head man!

Wait! You were thinking of a pterodactyl too? Creepy
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Totes want a calorie brooch....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes, different foods of similar macronutrient content can fill you up more or less.

However, in terms of body mass, a calorie is a calorie, period, end of story.

The reason you don't just drink 1500 calories of an oil+protein+sugar shake every day is not because of the calories or macronutrients. You would have the same weight loss drinking 1500 calories of Ensure every day that you would eating 1500 calories of chicken, eggs, veggies, olive oil, and whole wheat pasta. However, it would be boring, never fill you up, and your micronutrient intake would be lacking.

The reason to eat "clean" is to get more bulk and to get micronutrients. If you're getting enough bulk and micronutrients eating what many consider "trash" that's fine. Your health won't suffer.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Totes want a calorie brooch....

So is that pronounced "brewch" or "broach"??
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    calorie (symbol: cal) : the approximate amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

So wait, you're saying that the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1g of water by one degree Celsius isn't equal to the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1g of water by one degree Celsius?

That's like saying 1 horsepower isn't equal to 1 horsepower.

Energy is energy. Whether in calories, joules, whatever. Now, does body composition depend on where that energy comes from? Of course. But at the end of the day, a calorie is a calorie.