Msn Health..

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I was just on the MSN website reading there health and fitness articles and one said that your not supposed to eat back the calories you burn from excersise. I read the article on here that explains why you need to and everything...but why would that article say that you shouldnt??? Now I dont know what to do lol

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Do you have a link to the article? Was the article assuming that you were already eating at a caloric deficit (like MFP does)?
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    if you're not already giving yourself a calorie deficit and it's the excercise that is creating your deficit then NO you wouldn't eat back any ex cals. so say you eat 2000 a day and burn 500 ex cals, then you would not eat back and be at a net of 1500

BUT...MFP already puts you at a cal deficit when you join, so if you don't eat back any ex cals then you are dipping BELOW thae number reccommended that you eat. so if MFP tells you to eat 1200 and you burn 500 thats net eaten of 700 WAYYYY TOO LOW!! so you need to eat some of those back up!

clear as mud? :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    So I was just on the MSN website reading there health and fitness articles and one said that your not supposed to eat back the calories you burn from excersise. I read the article on here that explains why you need to and everything...but why would that article say that you shouldnt??? Now I dont know what to do lol

I don't know why the article said not too. There's always both sides to everything you read on the net, yes ti can be confusing.

I think if you're eating a certain amount of cals on your own and not using a system that has already set up a calorie deficit (like MFP) then it would be very different. You're in a deficit and if when you excercise it puts you in even more of one. I think that's the whole thing in a nutshell. Depending on what someone uses to plan their cals with maybe they aren't working in a deficit so they don't eat them back. Or ignorance of knowledge on the subject, I think ppl get frightened when they want to lose and they want to lose NOW and it's suggested you eat more to lose more (steady).

Merely my thoughts on the matter:flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    if you're not already giving yourself a calorie deficit and it's the excercise that is creating your deficit then NO you wouldn't eat back any ex cals. so say you eat 2000 a day and burn 500 ex cals, then you would not eat back and be at a net of 1500

BUT...MFP already puts you at a cal deficit when you join, so if you don't eat back any ex cals then you are dipping BELOW thae number reccommended that you eat. so if MFP tells you to eat 1200 and you burn 500 thats net eaten of 700 WAYYYY TOO LOW!! so you need to eat some of those back up!

clear as mud? :smile:

yes. that makes alot of sense and I dont think they were giving the calorie deficit.
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    I think you just need to see how your body works. I don't eat my exercise points "most" of the time. I struggle to get the 1200 at times, let alone adding 500+ more if i run or do a spin class. If i go over my 1200 in a day i don't stress about it because i know in my head it's ok, but i don't want to do that everyday nor could I eat that much. Do what your body tell's you to do. Listen to it and it directs your next moves. If you feel hungry well than eat something healthy. I hope this helps.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to msn, a lot of their articles about weight loss are pretty questionable to say the least.
This discussion has been closed.