Couch to 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• tmd71
    tmd71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also was fitted for proper shoes & it makes a HUGE difference... I am using the treadmill & am going at a slow pace as well. I am about to start wk 4... week 3 scared me as well, but it's easier than you think it is.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K last year in September. Got up to running for about 40 minutes. Then, quit running for whatever reason (just made excuses, really). Tried to go running again about 2 weeks ago, and couldn't run for 1.5 minutes. Going to be starting C25K again- then cross over into C210K. I find that if I have the goals there, I am way more motivated to run. I don't remember how may weeks I repeated- probably most of them. But I kept at it. I know some weeks I repeated twice because I didn't get the intervals without walking. But in the end, I did it. This time, I will not quit...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Come join the C25K group! We would love to have you there!
  • Shadden77
    Options
    I'm on my second time of doing C25K, and I have never ran faster than 4.7 on the treadmill. When I started I was jogging a 3.5 as well. I've tried to go faster, but I just can't and I'm ok with that. You have to do what feels the best for you. My sister in law is a runner and averages 8 min/miles on her runs. I don't know that I will ever be that fast, and that's ok. You have to be happy with the work you're doing. Don't compare yourself to others, it'll just weigh you down.

Getting through those weeks where you run 5 min was so liberating! I was so scared to do it. I had never run 5 minutes straight and I was scared. But I did it, and so can you! Cheer for yourself once you've done it, and then keep going. Then once you do 8 minutes give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for accomplishing it. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last night - week 1 day 1 - I could only do 3 run/walk intervals. But then I walked the rest of the session. Perfection, no, but progress. And tomorrow night I will do it again. And if I can only complete 4 or 5 intervals, I will continue until I can do all 8.

There is no failure except in no longer trying." - Elbert Hubbard
  • Lauren2H
    Lauren2H Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1. Proper shoes
    2. Your pace! Not other people's (you may need to slow down)
    3. Repeat weeks or even go back to an earlier week. At 230 pds the first time doing c25k I had to do week 2 for a couple of week before the shin splints stopped and then I could move on.
    4. You can do it! :)
  • PaulaJPatrick
    PaulaJPatrick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for good shoes at a running store? Having proper support is really important to prevent injury. When you're doing the program the run sections don't have to be a full out sprint. Just anything faster than a walk, so both feet are leaving the ground for a second. It's not about speed but developing endurance.

If the pain is persistent then get it checked out before you end up with an injury.

No I have regular sneakers that I have been using. I believe I need to get me some running shoes. Thank you for the suggestion.

When I read how fast others are going I feel quite defeated. I do the brisk walk at 2.7 and then the jog at 3.5. I can't get anywhere near what everyone else is without actually running.

Don't worry about anyone else. You don't know their journey and where they are in it. Your journey is your own and only worry about yourself. You can do it!
  • PaulaJPatrick
    PaulaJPatrick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last night - week 1 day 1 - I could only do 3 run/walk intervals. But then I walked the rest of the session. Perfection, no, but progress. And tomorrow night I will do it again. And if I can only complete 4 or 5 intervals, I will continue until I can do all 8.

There is no failure except in no longer trying." - Elbert Hubbard

And always remember, progress is progress no matter how fast or how slow.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options

No I have regular sneakers that I have been using. I believe I need to get me some running shoes. Thank you for the suggestion.

When I read how fast others are going I feel quite defeated. I do the brisk walk at 2.7 and then the jog at 3.5. I can't get anywhere near what everyone else is without actually running.

Hell, girl, you are doing a hell of a lot better than me, I haven't even convinced myself yet to start C25K! So hats off to you for battling through it and don't worry about what everyone else does - this particular "everyone" here hasn't even gotten off the couch yet!

Well trust me, if I can do it so can you! I have the luxury of having a treadmill at home (borrowed from my parents). I started walking 30 mins a day first and then decided I wanted a "program" to give me a goal. So far this is working although I am scared about Week 3. Although I will push through it.
  • TdaniT
    Options
    Thanks!
  • TdaniT
    Options

Where do I go on this site to join you guys?
  • TdaniT
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It helps to have support here on this site!
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I just did week 5, day 2 yesterday and ran an entire mile! I was SO nervous, but I did it. I couldn't run for 30 seconds 5 weeks ago!
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Under the Community tab, Choose Groups. Then search for C25K. You'll find it. Good luck!
  • stopdangerpi
    Options
    Last year I went from being unable to run more than a block (my whole life, could not ever run) to running at 10k. I think what held me back forever was trying to run fast.

Basically I went to the park with my friend while he ran fast in circles around the park and I took my sweet sweet time. Like basically started a step above walking, then slowly and slowly picked up.

I also listen to music when I run but listening to "Harder Better Faster Stronger" doesn't work when you're jogging really slowly so I picked upbeat, slow tempo songs like "Bang on the Drum All Day" or "Uptight (Everything is Alright)".

Also, you should NOT compare yourself to other people. Every race I do, my friends are already drinking a beer and de-sweat-ified by the time I finish but that is OK because then they can take my victory picture coming over the finish line.

Also! It helps to sign up for a 5k and know that you have to show up and do it (try to get a friend to come along!)

And while you shouldn't compare yourself... when I run I usually pick someone who is running about the same pace as me and just try to stay near them, if they get ahead of me, I pick someone else. Just to keep the energy up during the race!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You can do it

And don't worry about speed. That will come in time after you're running a long distance. Find a pace that works for you, and stick to it.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'll start echoing all the great advice the other posters have given you.

I finished C2k5 the end of December. I began Labor Day weekend. I usually ran twice a week. Three times just didn't fit with my schedule and other gym classes I take. I still swear W1D2 was the hardest. Day 1 I was all excited and ready to start this noew thing. Day 2 I remembered how hard day 1 was. Those were the longest, most miserable 60 seconds of my life. But I did it. You will too!

I found on days that seemed the hardest, I was pushing myself to go faster. WHen I forced myself to slow down, I was able to go the full time for that day.

I have since moved on to 5k to 10k. I am on week 6 day 3. I don't think I am made to be a distance runner. I am sure I can do it. I just lose interest after about 45 minutes. lol

Definitely join the Couch to 5k group. It is full of wonderful, encouraging people.

Good luck!!
  • TdaniT
    Options

Under the Community tab, Choose Groups. Then search for C25K. You'll find it. Good luck!

I found several there. Which one are you a member of?
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I found several there. Which one are you a member of?

Sorry I didn't check back on this thread sooner. I am not a member of any of the C25K groups on here. I never even finished the program when I tried it last year to be honest! I just ended up doing it on my own until I made it...