Why Cardio Alone Doesn't Cut Fat?

Options
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/why-cardio-alone-doesnt-cut-fat/

From the article's author:

"I wrote this article in order to educate women and some men who believe that doing cardio and abs will help them shed pounds on their midsection. I also think it will help out trainers who have a hard time getting clients to understand the benefits of lifting moderately heavy weights, which is the best thing for them to do to lose weight."

Open the link and read it :-)

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the article.

I admit I am one of those cardio and abs people... but i know that I need to start adding weights so I have added legs once a week and arms once a week.

The best looking people at the gym ALWAYS do weights as well as cardio :wink:
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    thanks for this :)
  • AnneElise
    Options
    WOW great... so clear and easy to understand!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    yup! great article!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Great article, thank you for posting. I am a huge advocate of weight lifting for weight loss, so I love to see others reinforcing that as well!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Tagging to read later.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Not only is it a really good article but what a great site!
  • rb32497
    rb32497 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a physical educator. Cardio is extrmely important and can help cut some fat. Weight loss is pretty simple though. Calories taken in has to be less then calories burned out. Therefore cardio does help. To really lose weight though you have to have a combination of cardio and resistance training. Resistance training actually burns more calories than regular cardio does. I like to incorporate both. I have a workout from a university's football team called four quarters me and a few other coaches do it together. It uses dumbells and 3 stacked steppers. It takes bout 35 min with a few short rests built in. It's great because its resistance training and cardio in one.
    Please remeber no one has the exact answer. All of our bodies are different and respond to things differently. I can garuntee you though that if you combine a few days of cardio with a few days of resistance training that you will lose weight.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I am a physical educator. Cardio is extrmely important and can help cut some fat. Weight loss is pretty simple though. Calories taken in has to be less then calories burned out. Therefore cardio does help. To really lose weight though you have to have a combination of cardio and resistance training. Resistance training actually burns more calories than regular cardio does. I like to incorporate both. I have a workout from a university's football team called four quarters me and a few other coaches do it together. It uses dumbells and 3 stacked steppers. It takes bout 35 min with a few short rests built in. It's great because its resistance training and cardio in one.
    Please remeber no one has the exact answer. All of our bodies are different and respond to things differently. I can garuntee you though that if you combine a few days of cardio with a few days of resistance training that you will lose weight.

Good response. I have lost a lot of weight and cardio has been the mainstay of my exercise routine from the beginning. However, I always did this mixed with weight training too. Ultimately it is calories in out as this person said. Just remember to mix things up from time to time and you will lose weight.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    bump