Calorie Intake less than BMR?

Options
MFP tells me my daily goal is 1260 calories, but this is less than my BMR (my BMR is around 1450). I have heard you are not supposed to eat under your BMR..., suggestions?

Replies

• aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on this site will tell you that. I have yet to see actual scientific evidence that it's bad (within reason of course). I have netted below my BMR for almost 2 years now and my metabolism (as of last July anyway) was still 10% higher than all the online estimate tools. It clearly has not affected my metabolism, or my weight loss (I've never had a plateau in the last 2 years). I haven't lost large amounts of muscle mass either.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You will get a million comments on this - everyone has a different idea/opinion.

And different people have success doing opposite things sometimes - you have to find what works for you!

MY PERSONAL EXPERINCE

is that I lost great for awhile eating below BMR - but then my weight loss stalled. I have recently upped my calories after realizing that I didn't fall below my BMR sometimes that I fell below it most times, if I exercised I fell way below it. I am of the belief that ***Consistently*** eating below BMR can slow your metabolism and that makes weight loss difficult.

Good Luck whatever you decide.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    MFP told you that number because you told MFP you wanted to lose X number of pounds per week and that was the number it came up with. MFP does math, you have to supply the common sense.
  • Zoe85
    Zoe85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me my daily goal is 1260 calories, but this is less than my BMR (my BMR is around 1450). I have heard you are not supposed to eat under your BMR..., suggestions?

Hi,

MFP tells me the same and set my daily goal at 1250 calories yet my BMR is around 1537 calories :/ so i am now confused on what i am supposed to have.

Yeah if anyone has any suggestions on what we are supposed to do we'd greatly appreciate the advice :)

I have tried in the past sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and then exercising without eating back exercise calories and it does not work in the long run, so anyone who thinks of trying the 1200 calorie diet, it doesnt work. i know i need more calories but how many more is the question! I want to do this right, lose and lose forever.

I have seen on the forum about people doing the TDEE - 20% method and working but i do not know how to work mine out...help?!

My info:

27 years
    160lbs
    5ft 6"
    Goal is to be 133lbs

My BMR: 1537 (Which i understand is the amount of calories my body burns a day just for organ function etc)
    For Moderate Activity (3-5 workouts/week) = 2148 daily calories.

whats next...?

Zoe :)
  • maremak1
    Options
    So I had this same question about TDEE and this is what I was told:

First calculate your TDEE by going to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Enter in all of your information (including your HONEST activity level)

On step 6 choose "Lose fat-20% calorie reduction"

It will calculate your daily calorie requirements and it will tell you "Daily calories based on goal in step 6" and that is the number of calories you are supposed to eat each day.

If you choose this method you do NOT eat back the calories you exercise.

That is all I know, i'm sure someone else can shed some more light on this....