Reading labels

Options
I had a coupon for a local pharmacy and decided I wanted those slim fast snacks that are like butter fingers. Mmmmmm butterfingers... On the way to the check out, I noticed a bag of bite sized butterfingers and decided to compare:

Slimfast serving size: 23 g
Butterfingers serving: 40 g

Slimfast sugars: 13 g
Butterfingers: 18 g

Now, right there, I am no math whiz, but 23 is a little more than half of 40, but 13 is way more than half of 18! Turns out, in *every* category, I would be better off with a half serving of butterfingers! The only win for slimfast is that the servings are individually packaged, but I bet you could get those fun size butterfingers they sell at Halloween and be way ahead.

I came home with tamale red hair dye.

Replies

• peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good job. I always read labels. A lot of the time it is better to go with the real thing than the imitation. But I'm a proponent of eating real and healthy as opposed to loading up on "diet" foods and things with artificial sweeteners, etc. I don't know a lot about Slim Fast, but I feel like it falls in my category of no. Just eat the butterfinger :-)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I always read labels and pay attention to serving sizes. Sure one brand may be less calories, sugar, carbs, fat, whatever but the serving size is smaller.

Serving sizes are weird too. A pack of poptarts? Two servings. A serving of cookies? 3 cookies. Those 500 ml carton of milk... two servings. Bottles of pop/juice sometimes have two servings.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The only diet food in the house is lean cuisine, so I have never had much reason to compare diet to regular. Now that I have started, the butterfingers have less sugar and the same fat as dark chocolate pomegranate candies!

Oh well, now I know, if I want a butterfinger, it fits as well as any other non nutritious snack!
  • FiestyIrish
    Options
    Always beware the "diet" foods!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Always beware the "diet" foods!

Ack! My brain put sound effects with that!

Dun fun duuuunnnnn.