Sugar or Honey??

Options
kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
I was just wondering which is better to put in my tea and to use to sweeten things, sugar or tea?? And why exactly?? I mean what is the difference nutritionally?

Replies

• kingon8
    Options
    I was just wondering which is better to put in my tea and to use to sweeten things, sugar or tea?? And why exactly?? I mean what is the difference nutritionally?
  • B TOWN
    B TOWN Posts: 32
    Options
    nutrasweet/splenda... no calories
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Honey vs. Sugar
    A tablespoon of honey is 63 calories and a tablespoon of sugar is 46 calories. Since both are mostly carbohydrates, the honey is essentially 1/3 sweeter than the sugar.

In practical terms, this means that you would use 4 tablespoons of sugar for every 3 tablespoons of honey.

There is no difference in how your body uses honey – it’s not any more natural than sugar. There is a difference in how honey works when baking and I like to use honey in things like salad dressings where I want a creamy mouthfeel but lower fat.

http://www.drgourmet.com/health/honeyvsugar.shtml
  • kingon8
    Options
    thank you for the responses, I dont like to intentionally use artificial sweeteners, so thats why I asked.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ icupfunny. However, honey does have some micronutrients that sugar does not. Whether it's enough to make any difference, I don't know. If you like honey in your tea - go for it! If you can find a local apiary and buy honey there instead of off the grocery shelf it is healthier and better tasting. Otherwise, go for sugar. Just remember to log it!!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    And here is yet another side note. If you have seasonal allergies (outdoor), find a local honey collector. Injesting localy harvested honey helps you acclamate your immune system to the allergens. (You are injesting the pollens that the bees eat and what might normally set off your allergy attack) Eating honey over a course of time, then builds your immunity up. But remember, you need honey harvested from the same flowering pollens you are allergic to :)

Personally, I use sugar, honey and sweetner, depending on what it calls for.. but my tea almost always gets honey~

good luck!!