Should i buy a HRM?

Options
I am thinking about purchasing a HRM but just not sure about the advantages of having one because they are kind of pricey. Would love you hear your thoughts.

Replies

• theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight without one. However I recently acquired 3. Two that only monitored my heart rate, and one that actually calculates my caloric burn. I think it's great because I've plateaued and want to get an accurate calculation of the calories I burn and factor that number into my nutrition. I think it's a great tool!

Check amazon.com for some good deals on HRMs. I'd suggest a Polar FT4... I have both the Polar FT1 (basic) and Polar FT7.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,706 Member
    Options
    I would say yes. I have one that tracks calories burned, although I'm not sure how accurate that is. I use it to keep me honest. Sometimes when I think I'm working hard I look down and see my heart rate is only about 120 (~70% of my maximum). Then I know I need to work a little harder.
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I recently bought one to more accurately track my calories burnt and let me tell you...those cardio machines lie! Sometimes they're higher and sometimes they're lower. Also, really helps as the above person said to be able to see if you are in the "magic" zone. I have a Polar ft4 and it beeps when I'm above or below my optimal HR zone. If you're considering, I'd go ahead and buy one :) I got mine from Amazon and it was pretty affordable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    While my HRM does track calorie burn, I primarily use mine for training purposes. My fitness goals are independent of my weight loss goals...I like know my calorie burn for the purpose of making sure I properly fuel my exercise...but really, I use it to monitor my HR zones for a particular workout session as I have different types of sessions daily. For example, I like to be in the Aerobic zone a couple of times per week so I'll set it for that zone so it will beep at me if I'm over or under training...I do some HIIT about once per week to improve my VO2 max...so I make sure I'm in that zone with my HRM and again, it will beep if I'm over/under training...then I have 3x weekly just in recovery zone..don't really need the HRM for that, but still nice to see what my HR is while I'm walking or something considering it used to be above 130 on a simple walk...now I can barely get it above 100 walking.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question, I'm thinking about it as well.. Thanks to all who answered.