If I hate yoga, will I hate pilates?

I've never tried it, but I've tried yoga several times, always with best intentions of liking it, but I hate it. I would rather run 3 miles. I just don't have a personality for it.

I see the fitness offers all the time to try pilates, and not quite being sure what to expect, wanted to ask here first.

Will it give a good workout? Meaning, can it replace my run for that day?

Is it like yoga, but with some machines or can I really feel the burn in my muscles? Does it burn a good amount of calories?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I don't think PIlates really burns all that much. What I've done (mostly videos) is a bit more active than yoga, but it's not really cardio. It's more bodyweight strength training. I do enjoy a good Pilates/Pilates inspired ab workout.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Are you doing a tower or mat class? Neither are considered high-impact cardio. I'm not sure what type of yoga you have done, but there are definite differences.

I have taken tower classes and I was completely overwhlemed by how difficult it was. I went into it thinking it would be a low-impact workout and be pretty easy, but I found out that I have no control over my limbs and no core form. Needless to say, I was in over my head. I was sore for days and I didn't expect that at all. It was a great workout.
  • It is very hard to answer this question as both yoga and pilates has something in common but there are some differences. I wrote an article about it if you want learn more about the major differences: http://nataliacoretraining.com/difference-between-mat-pilates-and-yoga/
    I think that you should go ahead and try it to figure out for yourself. And doing pilates with vidoes/dvds will not be the same as when you take classes. Many studios offer 1st session free, including the one where I'm currently working. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be happy to help! :smile: