Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Depression and Weight loss

Hello. This will be quick. How does anyone who may be going through depression or a really rouch patch continue their weight loss process or journey? I ask which is really hard for me to ask anything here. I'm dealing with alot on all facets of my life. I notice I have been eating things like cookies,Chickfila,cereal,or not eating at all. Working out is a chore except for cycle I love that class. Please no snarky comments. I know I'm fat and I know it won't lose it's self,I know one has to dig deeper beyond what their comfort levels are etc.Just wanted to try something different which is reach out.

Also for anyone who has a body bugg a older one how are you calculating your calories burnt? Do you just add what it puts out or just fitness related calories? TIA

Replies

• bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Well I don't "go through" depression. I have major depression, which is long term and an every day struggle. I've actually found that once you push through that "I don't want to" or "I can't" mentality and get up and MOVE, I feel a lot better. I've been exercising pretty consistently (4-5 days a week) for the past month and I feel better than I have in a LONG time. Exercising releases hormones and endorphins that naturally make you feel better. Also, eating fried, fatty foods makes you feel worse. That kind of heavy food weighs you down and keeps your moods crappy.

It's gonna be tough. Depression hurts (corny but true) and things that you actually like doing seem impossible when you're feeling down. But pushing through is the only way. Only you'll be able to get yourself up and above the pain.

Hope this helps. Remember, you're worth it. You're worth feeling better. Do this for yourself!
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Finding the right medication made all the difference for me. Then realize that all the crap food is only a temporary taste of happiness that only leads to more depression (you crash, you feel bloated, you gain even more weight, etc.) It truly is a viscous cycle. Eating healthy foods actually helps to change your mental attitude, you start to feel better, feel lighter, have more energy, and an overall positive feeling which helps to keep from getting depressed to start with. Realize that food has never really made things better, it's changing your mindset, making decisions to not let negative parts of life bring you into this depression. Take what seems like overwhelming situations and try to break them into a more manageable size - what can you do, even small things. It's the small things in life and weight loss that matter. You decide if you want to keep feeling sad or if you want to start being happy. Let the stresses go, most of them don't really matter anyway. You have to start believing that you are a wonderful person that matters.

We have conditioned ourselves to feed our sadness, the emptiness, the void with food and the only way to change that is to make a choice. Make that decision that 'It's Just Food'. You have to control it, not let it control you because it is a b-itch and will only bring you down.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    except for cycle

This is your strength that you can tolerate or enjoy so focus and build on that. As long as you keep your diet in check then your weight loss will do its thing automatically while you do other things. I.E such as work on your self, hobbies etc. :flowerforyou:
  • Finding the right medication can make the difference to keep you motivated and stable. [But for me, like a few others here, my issue was more than just the blues.] It was the type that logically I knew all was well but I could not pull myself up out of the hole.

Now even on medication I have my ups and downs. And I let myself have them. I also tried to get a bit more sun, increased my Vitamin D and my Omega 3s and pushed forward. I challenge myself to avoid the treats. But in the case of this weekend I allowed myself a nice cupcake. I owned my decision to do so (no guilt...I am in charge) but at my next point of Eat Junk or Not Eat Junk I chose not to...

I have also benefited from putting my thoughts down on paper..journal...diary, etc. Understand why I am feeling that way especially at times when you are feeling down without seemingly a reason. There are times that I realized I was bored, tired, experiencing cabin fever... or my nutrition was poor quality and quantity.

Force yourself to stop and think about why you may be feeling that way...challenge yourself to breathe and talk yourself through those cravings. Reach for a glass of water (flavor it) or choose something healthy (sweet cravings...I turn to a few fresh dates or citrus. In aroma therapy citrus is a mood enhancer, increases energy. Salty or savory....roasted nuts, popcorn, miso or chicken/beef broth)

This journey of life is meant to be taken One Day at a Time...If you fall off the wagon one day know that tomorrow you can do better. Own your choices, but don't let the occasional "poor" choice derail you.

I owned that cupcake and I absolutely enjoyed it...but I didn't let it ruin the rest of my day. You've got this!!
  • I agree with the medication thing. I also hate some of the side effects... The fact the Celexa at night.. makes me want to binge.

I either do one thing or another.. This time it is eating too much. I have done the other.. both suck in their own special way.

Pushing through it is key. Fake it until you make it.

Jane