Do you count the calories in fruit and veg?

Options

Replies

• gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies make up several hundred calories in my diet every day- and that's not including starches or avocados. I wouldn't log one baby carrot or a single grape, but anything much larger, yeah.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    Yes. I think WW and Slimming World have that free-fruits-and-vegs rule to encourage people who might not otherwise eat any to eat them. But in MFP, all calories count. I even log black coffee and fish oil supplements. And like others said, it helps you track your macros.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I sure do, there are calories, carbs & sugars etc in fruits/veggies and despite that I have to watch due to having type 2, whats the point of logging food if you pick & choose which foods to log, especially when you get on the scale and wonder why you gained or stayed the same when you were "so good" all week long.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    100 calorie banana makes a difference. Of course I count the calories.
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I count them. I'm casual with quantities for things like lettuce and peppers. Things like potatoes, corn and all fruits I am careful to log correctly.

I don't log black coffee, tea or spices. I do log the balsamic vinegar and salsa dressing on my salads.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I definitely do, my diet is heavy on fruit and vegetables! Especially fruit - it can add up quickly.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Everything I eat, I track. Plus I like to track my potassium, and a lot of fruits and veggies are great sources of that.
  • SweetCrumb
    SweetCrumb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do but I'm asking if others do, reason I ask is because under slimming world they are classed as free foods and you won't pile on the pounds if you eat a lot more of them than you would if you ate more of foods that were less friendly so to speak.

You'll be surprised how much natural sugar is in fruits (some especially so like mango and pineapple) which is detrimental to weight loss. I used to eat a whole lot of fruit everyday thinking the same as you but was losing very little, if any. As soon as I moderated my fruit intake the weight started coming off better.

As everyone's said no food is a 'free' food. Be wary of diets, programs or people telling you that you can eat as much of something as you like. Even some vegetables aren't great for weight loss (although most veg's are amazing).

A cal is a cal. Log it :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    if you're counting calories, then yes, you should
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get why you are asking, WW does the same thing.

However I find that if you already eat healthy that it doesn't work the same, i was on weight watchers and since I already was eating fruit, veg, lean meats and a little bit of dairy I was always "under" my points, but I knew I was eating like 3 pieces of fruit everyday and lots of vegetables and I wasn't losing. I think for people who are making poor decisions (lots of fast food or huge portions) not counting the fruits and veg won't matter because their overall calories per day will probably be much less.
    Does that make sense?

A banana is 100 cals, an apple 70cals, I could easily erase my "0.5"lb deficit with fruits and veg.

It does yes, thanks, I will carry on then, I've reached my target so am trying to maintain my weight now so was just thinking about tweaking things a little bit.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do but I'm asking if others do, reason I ask is because under slimming world they are classed as free foods and you won't pile on the pounds if you eat a lot more of them than you would if you ate more of foods that were less friendly so to speak.

You'll be surprised how much natural sugar is in fruits (some especially so like mango and pineapple) which is detrimental to weight loss. I used to eat a whole lot of fruit everyday thinking the same as you but was losing very little, if any. As soon as I moderated my fruit intake the weight started coming off better.

As everyone's said no food is a 'free' food. Be wary of diets, programs or people telling you that you can eat as much of something as you like. Even some vegetables aren't great for weight loss (although most veg's are amazing).

A cal is a cal. Log it :)

Thanks, great response, will do.
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes everything counts to me. Fruit can contain a lot of sugar too so watch that.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    True story. A friend of mine was due with her first baby and had put on more weight than she should have between visits. When the doctor chided her, she said she didn't understand it because she was mainly eating a lot of carrots. Doctor's reply "Have you ever seen a skinny rabbit?" So that said, yes, count your veggies and fruit. :)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't really bother with lettuce in a sandwich (usually ends up being around 3 grams). In a salad I will count it.
  • mizchubby69
    Options
    Yep I track everything as I like to track the sugars and there is sugar in veggies as well as fruit it is very surprising:happy: :drinker:
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Personally it really just depends. For the most part I don't log vegetables (unless it's just majorly substantial amounts), but I do log fruit usually.

Most things that are really low-calorie I don't even bother with. I honestly doubt those ten calories in the jalapeños I just ate will throw me off. I seem to be the minority on MFP who doesn't go bananas over logging everything. I have enough in life to stress over; not going to stress over every last calorie, too.
  • 3nchantress
    Options
    I do. Some fruits and veggies have an awful lot of calories. Even though I know this and know what to eat less of, it's important that I count them all to hold myself accountable. If I start not counting the veggies, the next thing will be not counting the cookies ;)
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    No of course not . Thad just be ridiculous.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if people do this, seems pretty pointless although I have been doing it.

Fruit and veg have calories, therefore they should be logged.

Fruit in particular can be high(ish) in calories if you eat lots of it daily.

Bananas, oranges and large apples can be 80 calories apiece.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I count everything part most spices and no sugah chewing gums.
    I do choose to turn blind eye to sugar excess coming from fruits cos fruits are healthy, i dont sweeten anything else nor eat any treats, atleast lemmie have mah grapes, OK?!