Burn off more calories during excercise when we are overwei

Options
I am wondering if I am burning off more calories than the charts say due to my overweight. Does anyone know?

Do you know if the calculator on this site is adjusted for our relative weights.

For example, when I swim vigorously for 30 minutes, do I burn up more calories then a gal who weight 120?

Anyone know? I would sure love to know. I would be even more encouraged when I excercise.

Replies

• deb_ge
    deb_ge Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I am burning off more calories than the charts say due to my overweight. Does anyone know?

Do you know if the calculator on this site is adjusted for our relative weights.

For example, when I swim vigorously for 30 minutes, do I burn up more calories then a gal who weight 120?

Anyone know? I would sure love to know. I would be even more encouraged when I excercise.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You do burn more calories based on your weight. Most charts are based on 150lbs but, you'd have to find a sight that adjusted your calorie burn with your weight.. if I find one I'll post for ya!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    here is a sight that will change it for you.

www.HealthAtoZ.com
  • deb_ge
    Options
    thanks you guys....at 150 pounds overweight, I need all the extra help i can get.
  • deb_ge
    Options
    Wow, I just checked out that site and I am SO stoked: my chosen cardio exercise is swimming and I am burning off nearly 1000 calories each time I go! Wow!

I started off daily and began to drop back...now I am going to go daily again!
  • kimford28
    Options
    That is awesome! Keep it up Deb!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    another website that adjusts calories burned for your current weight is "healthstatus.com" (I'm not good at the cut and pasting of links)

There are lots of calculators on the site, BMI, ideal weight, etc.

Best of luck!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Swimming is a GREAT calorie burner. People don't realize it, but it really is. I wish I had a (non-gross) pool near my house, the Y is pretty gross so I don't go, but I live in the north east and swimming in the ocean there is like jumping into a freezer for a few hours :( I guess it's the tredmill and bike for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,122 Member
    Options
    Hi, my pals,

Seems to be a common question so I revived this post.

Here are some past links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6358-caloried-burned?page=1#posts-43641

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1725-weight-training-calories-burned?page=1#posts-10225

You can always go to the Community tab and use the "Search" box at the top right with the green button. Type in key words.

OR - - "Help" (above the tabs on the community page) will take you to the FAQs
  • banks1850
    Options
    Lol! I saw this and was like: "when did I write this?" But then I saw the date and was like aha! waaaay back when I was 35 lbs heavier.:noway:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,122 Member
    Options
    Lol! I saw this and was like: "when did I write this?" But then I saw the date and was like aha! waaaay back when I was 35 lbs heavier.:noway:

banks, bump :wink: