What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You probably don't have any fat left to lose. I'm 5'3 and 115 is at the low range for me.. Sounds like you could use some counseling to deal with your body image.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a bulk/cut style? Wouldnt I gain weight if I raised my calories to such a high amount such as 2400?
    If your TDEE is 2400, that is your amount to maintain.

But I've raised it to 1900, and am feeling extremely bloated and am pretty sure I have gained. Is this just temporary? I don't understand how 2400 wouldn't be way too much.

The bloated feeling is probably partly psychological and partly your body adjusting to the higher caloric intake. You probably WOULD gain weight on 2400 calories per day because you most likely don't need that many. I did a BMR/TDEE calculator based on if you are 18% body fat (which is pretty low) at 120 lbs and at moderately active, your TDEE is just over 2000 and at the hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week your TDEE only came out to 2300 calories. If your body fat happens to be around 23%, that takes your numbers down to around 1975 and 2200 for moderate or hard exercise. It sounds like 1900 is probably going to be a good maintenance number for you to start with. You will probably see a slight gain as your body replenishes glycogen stores and adjusts to the higher intake, but after a few weeks, you should level off and maintain.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a bulk/cut style? Wouldnt I gain weight if I raised my calories to such a high amount such as 2400?
    If your TDEE is 2400, that is your amount to maintain.

But I've raised it to 1900, and am feeling extremely bloated and am pretty sure I have gained. Is this just temporary? I don't understand how 2400 wouldn't be way too much.

Bloated doesn't mean fat gain. Bloated can be from too much carbs, tom, constipation, etc. At your height and the amount of exercise you are doing, 2400 sounds reasonable. If you don't want to eat that much, lessen your exercise.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body is already in the right place. I'm the same size as you in proportion (5'7" almost 130lbs actually) and believe me, I would never want to be that light. I'm not trying to be conceded.... but I look great! So I can imagine, with you being taller AND lighter than me, you look fine. Maybe your body is trying to tell you that this is where you are supposed to be. If you still don't like your body image, than just work on toning up. Use measuring tape for progress rather than a scale
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have increased my calories, to about 1900. My TDEE is 2432, which seems like an absolutely absurd high amount. In the last week I've gone from 1800, then 1850, then 1900, and I've been feeling so incredibly bloated, and even though my scale is most likely messed up and inaccurate (when its at rest, it says 3 pounds) I really feel like I've gained some weight from raising my calories. So if I raised it as your suggesting, wouldn't I gain even more? I'm so confused with all this.

You literally have more food in your body. Of course you are going to feel more full and possibly weigh slightly more.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" you aren't losing weight because you need to gain weight. Increase your calories and start building muscle. You will gain muscle weight but will probably find that you are not gaining clothing size. Your body will look trimmer.

If the thought of that scares you then you need to seek counseling for an eating disorder.