Need serious advice from someone who has been there

Options

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    also stop eating at around 5-6pm...start eating at around 10am....

OMG! For real? No wonder I've only lost 70-something lbs! I'm totally not following this schedule! Or maybe, what time zone do you mean?

OP-eat when it fits your life. Not some arbritray time limit. Matters how many calories you eat, not when you eat them.

its not the time..just a full 24 hrs....congrats on your success....people fail to realize you have to try everything until you find what works for you....eating a bunch of small meals a day has never worked for me....its just easier to control what i eat in a smaller window....that all
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes...after my last meal of the day...I dont eat again until the same time i ate dinner the day before....You cals seem fine...just keep adjusting document how your body reacts....also when I'm fasting I'm drinking only water...I also have maybe two cups of coffee with a little cream, no sugar just to hold me up...
    [/quote]

Thanks! I appreciate it!!
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes...after my last meal of the day...I dont eat again until the same time i ate dinner the day before....You cals seem fine...just keep adjusting document how your body reacts....also when I'm fasting I'm drinking only water...I also have maybe two cups of coffee with a little cream, no sugar just to hold me up...

Thanks! I appreciate it!!
    [/quote]

no prob...look up intermittent fasting on you tube.....at the end of the day its still cals in vs cals out...this just helps some people control their diet a little better
  • delekium
    delekium Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. Changing your diet could help you stay focused. BUT personally I don't eat below my BMR (net). Because then my body will start sending messages that at first I will try to ignore... lack of motivation, cravings, mood swings, not improving physical performance.... And then I hit the wall face on.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone mentioned it yet, but you should try eating at least at your BMR. I used the scooby calculator to calculate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is 1900 calories and I eat 20% below that which is 1500 calories. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and lost almost 4 lbs. I'm set at sedentary though...if you exercise a lot, you get more cals...I think I was set at 1750 or 1800 when I was able to exercise lightly 3-4 times a week. Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing everything right! It just takes time and our bodies are fickle beings. I would definitely invest in a fabric tape measure and take measurements. I lost 4 lbs in February but almost 7 inches from all over including 2.25 off my stomach. I try not to check the scale too often...just to keep me honest if I'm not sure I've been eating the best and am only weighing in once a month now. It definitely takes off the stress and brings less binges out of disappointment.
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    You don't need tricks, a dietary revamp, or to stop eating at a certain time of day. It's normal to lose a lot at first then slow down.

You are active- please don't listen to the people telling you to eat fewer calories. Derby is pretty intense- you don't want to lose muscle or energy. I don't think you are eating enough- your diary has large deficits on a lot of days. Eating too little will stall you out for sure, and won't create the lean an capable body that you are going for.

Search on the threads for TDEE-20% and "In place of a road map."

Rock on! :drinker:

Thanks, I actually retired derby the end of last season so I haven't been practicing like that in quite a few months. I guess I need to update my profile, huh? 4 years of derby actually made me gain weight if anything! Lol
    I appreciate your feedback though & will keep it in mind. I try to eat all my calories just some days it doesn't work out like that and I end up with the choice of either eating a bunch right before bed OR end the night in a deficit. So I choose to end in a deficit and try to plan better next time. Would a few days of slight deficit here & there throw my body into a plateau though? I've read a bunch about this stuff & though I could possibly be eating more, but I don't think it's to the point where I'm definitely eating too little. Do you agree? I think I just need to plan better on those days.
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is ditch all the smoothies. Just eat food. Whatever you were going to blend into a smoothie-just eat it.

When I was reading some stuff from Bob Harper...one of his tips was to not drink your calories. For whatever reason our bodies don't process it the same way, and, our brain doesn't trigger that we've eaten.
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    My suggestion is ditch all the smoothies. Just eat food. Whatever you were going to blend into a smoothie-just eat it.

I'm trying to get more healthy nutrients in my body. Plus it's a lot easier to drink a smoothie at work than it is to eat 1/2 banana, a kiwi, a cup of spinach, a half of a cucumber, some wheat germ, wheat grass, parsley, almond milk, etc. you get the picture.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm totally bored with dieting BUT I know how to do it now. Eat at BMR, 25% fat or less, keep 45-50% of your carbs as VEGETABLES.
    I personally dont eat meat or dairy but whatever. It obviously doesnt matter as long as you watch what kind of calories you eat.
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    Not sure if someone mentioned it yet, but you should try eating at least at your BMR. I used the scooby calculator to calculate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is 1900 calories and I eat 20% below that which is 1500 calories. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and lost almost 4 lbs. I'm set at sedentary though...if you exercise a lot, you get more cals...I think I was set at 1750 or 1800 when I was able to exercise lightly 3-4 times a week. Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing everything right! It just takes time and our bodies are fickle beings. I would definitely invest in a fabric tape measure and take measurements. I lost 4 lbs in February but almost 7 inches from all over including 2.25 off my stomach. I try not to check the scale too often...just to keep me honest if I'm not sure I've been eating the best and am only weighing in once a month now. It definitely takes off the stress and brings less binges out of disappointment.
    I'm a bit intrigued by this Scooby calculator. I checked it out. Why do you suggest -20% vs. the gain muscle, lose fat option? Also, if I calculate my exercise into this calculator would I no longer be eating back my extra exercise calories that I gain with MFP? On the other side, if I do not calculate my exercise into this & say I sit at a desk all day, can I then eat back my exercise calories?
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit intrigued by this Scooby calculator. I checked it out. Why do you suggest -20% vs. the gain muscle, lose fat option? Also, if I calculate my exercise into this calculator would I no longer be eating back my extra exercise calories that I gain with MFP? On the other side, if I do not calculate my exercise into this & say I sit at a desk all day, can I then eat back my exercise calories?

I am doing the same thing. I have selected desk job from scoobie, and also you can check with more details the TDEE activities here http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, then I have set up my calories at mfp above my BMR, but at TDEE sedentary-20%. I eat back my exercise calories but try to eat them at 60% and double check the calories burnt listed at mfp, with the stairmaster at the gym (it was suggested that you put for weight 10lbs less than your current weight in the equipment so you can get a more accurate reading). I would put the fat/muscle option if you were near your goal weight.
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    I've lost 65 lbs so far and have finally realized that one very important aspect is to limit the carb intake. If you are eating something you know has quite a few carbs, make your portion of that smaller and eat more of whatever is on your plate that is better for you....such as greens. Also, depends on how you are preparing your foods....i see you are using good fats but they have to be in moderation as well. Maybe changing up your exercises would help as well. Your body may be getting used to them. There has been a lot of good advice in the other posts too. I learned some from them too. lol Good Luck! and be proud of how much you have lost!!!

Thank you!!
  • Spadowski
    Spadowski Posts: 38
    Options
    Smoothies will be recognized by the brain and digested just like any other food you put in your mouth. One thing I like to do is throw in a half block of soft tofu to bulk mine up and get more protein.

I think you're just plateauing which is totally NORMAL. In college one of my gal pals was an aerobics instructor, and after 3+ weeks of not seeing results from her classes I told her how frustrated I was. She informed me that the body takes about a month to switch to the next gear. She was right. A few weeks later I was dropping pounds. I guess my body is a fat hoarder. I just got out of a month-long plateau where I couldn't get under 140, but I kept doing what I was doing and now I'm finally 138.2. Just be patient. It might help to keep in mind that it took time to gain your weight, so it will take time to shed it. But your diet looks fantastic and I have to tell you, WELL DONE!

Oh, and how cool that you're a derby girl! Derby rocks!
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you only have 19 more lbs to lose you should only be losing about 1/2 lb per week so I think you are right on target.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Olive, looking at the last 10 days, at least half of the days you have been considerably undereating. You need to increase your daily intake and never fall net calories below your BMR.
  • OliveBruises
    Options

I am doing the same thing. I have selected desk job from scoobie, and also you can check with more details the TDEE activities here http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, then I have set up my calories at mfp above my BMR, but at TDEE sedentary-20%. I eat back my exercise calories but try to eat them at 60% and double check the calories burnt listed at mfp, with the stairmaster at the gym (it was suggested that you put for weight 10lbs less than your current weight in the equipment so you can get a more accurate reading). I would put the fat/muscle option if you were near your goal weight.
    Thank you for the info!
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    Smoothies will be recognized by the brain and digested just like any other food you put in your mouth. One thing I like to do is throw in a half block of soft tofu to bulk mine up and get more protein.

I think you're just plateauing which is totally NORMAL. In college one of my gal pals was an aerobics instructor, and after 3+ weeks of not seeing results from her classes I told her how frustrated I was. She informed me that the body takes about a month to switch to the next gear. She was right. A few weeks later I was dropping pounds. I guess my body is a fat hoarder. I just got out of a month-long plateau where I couldn't get under 140, but I kept doing what I was doing and now I'm finally 138.2. Just be patient. It might help to keep in mind that it took time to gain your weight, so it will take time to shed it. But your diet looks fantastic and I have to tell you, WELL DONE!

Oh, and how cool that you're a derby girl! Derby rocks!

Thanks. For all of this. I think I needed to hear it. Congrats to you on beating your plateau too!
  • Guitar1969
    Guitar1969 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am in a quite a bit different situation as you because I have more to lose and you are getting near your goal, but I have learned alot about metabolism and such. I am losing about 2 pounds a week and eating like crazy, and exercising 6 days a week (P90). Doing the SBD Diet and one thing is I don't worry about calories, but try to concentrate on good Carbs (Veggies, beans, etc instead of fast metabolising carbs ) - Not all carbs are created equal (look up Glycemic index). The feeling on SBD is if you are eating good carbs and a lot of protein and good fats, your body tells you when you are full and you will be on the lower end so no need to count calories. Another thing is it keeps your body in fat burning mode because the limited carb you have are slow metabolising

But one thing I think you should look at is more calories, and cutting down on carb intake - 40% is way too high. That number is good if you are bodybuilding and trying to build just muscle, but is not going to help you lose body fat at a good pace.

But what do I know ? You are in much better shape than me - You may be adding a lot of muscle right now which would explain the slow weight loss.
  • OOjinxxOO
    Options
    First off, Congrats for losing 13 lb :happy:

And Secondly, you most likely hit a plateau in weight loss. Don't worry though, it happens to everyone at one point. All you can do is push yourself a little more with exercising and change your eating habits slightly, and what I mean by that is maybe adding a glass tea or maybe a glass of milk or something along those lines.

Also, make sure you are sleeping enough. Not enough sleep can slow the metabolism down and make weight loss harder.

Good Luck!:happy: :happy:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Make sure not to net too low. Also, losing three pounds in a month is really good. If you're still losing, stick with it.