Charity walks

Options
I did my first 5k last September for a local charity.In October I did "making strides" ( about six miles).

This year I would like to do the Avon three day in May and,hopefully,in September,The Jimmy fund marathon walk which follows the route of the Boston marathon.

Has anyone done any of these events or something similar? What can I do to prepare? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Replies

• bri1720
    bri1720 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This year I will be walking in two Avon Walks. I completed the Chicago Avon walk this past June and will be walking in New York in October. The Avon Walks are 2 days (39.3 miles). The Susan G Komen walks are 3 days (60 miles). What I can suggest about preparing for either of these long distance walks is TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. It is definitely NOT just walking. Get yourself a good pair of shoes, socks and follow one of the training plans provided by either organization. They are extremely helpful and usually spaced out pretty well.

The fundraising can be a little difficult ($1800 for Avon), but it's entirely doable if you plan ahead and if you really put your mind to it. I've done Karaoke for Cancer fundraisers and just recently did a Zumba 4 A Cure fundraiser.

I too have done the Making Strides walk, the Susan G Komen 5K, March for Babies and Y-Me walks. One of my friends calls me the Forrest Gump of walks. :)

I am most dedicated to the Breast Cancer and Cancer in general walks. I know too many people who are fighters, survivors or angels from this evil disease. I volunteer, walk and/or donate whenever I can. I am currently training for the New York walk (3 mile walk scheduled for tomorrow). I will gladly answer any questions you have.

Good luck!!!!