Vegan with PCOS

2»

Replies

• crissygm
    crissygm Posts: 42 Member
    Hi - I also have PCOS and was given medical advice that upping my fat intake while lowering my carbs (I try to stay under 50g) would be helpful. It has made a huge difference for me (no meds now).

I eat almost the complete opposite to you with primal being my choice of diet that I have found works best for me. I was a vegan 16 years ago so can understand where you are coming from.
    See if you can find a copy of the book 'Nourishing Tradition's by Sally Fallon. She also has a brand new book out on child nutrition. While it it not super supportive of a vegan diet it does have some very good information on the importance of preparing food for maximum nutrition.
    These websites may also be helpful:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/ and http://www.newtrendspublishing.com/SallyFallon/index.html

All the best with your choices.

Thanks but my kids don't eat vegan, just me. I think the fact that both my children are very healthy, active and normal weights speaks for itself. I have consulted with their pediatricians, they have had all their routine check ups and blood work and are just fine. My youngest is 2 and has never been sick for more than a day. I admit my kids eat a ton of fruits and veggies because that is mainly what I eat, but they are not vegans and neither is my husband. My family is supportive and respectful of my choice, but we are not a vegan household.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Why was the post that so many were outraged over removed?!?!?! She was neither rude or obnoxious just voiced a view different then some on here have! People can say what ever THEY want but heaven forbid someone thinks differently and says so!
  • I have had PCOS for as long as I can remeber. I am not a Vegan but I have stuggled with weight and wonky periods since 7th grade because of the PCOS. My docs have told me just to get rid of the simple carbs. I personally take metformin to help balance my hormones, it was just upped to 1500 mg a day and since then I have dropped around 20 lbs. I have noticed that since I have gotten rid of the simple carbs ( for the most part) I feel a whole lot better as well...
  • ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    I am a lacto vegetarian all my life and my carb ratio is between 40-45% everyday (about 110-140g everday). I have PCOS as well. My carbs come from whole wheat bread and brown rice.

To answer your question, have you tried upping your protein ratio? I use the Leanfit whey protein (which wouldn't suit your needs) but there are soy based proteins that I see in the MFP forums.
  • ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    I forgot to mention that not all carbs are bad! I control my intake of the starchy carbs and include a lot of fibrous ones (which don't get digested) You can read more about it here and in a bunch of other sites as well. http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/list-fibrous-carbohydrates-1541.html