LADIES ONLY: Embarrassing Questions

Options
My embarrassing question is: How do you 'control' your period on heavy flow days/ bad cramp days. I tried today.. but I just was too uncomfortable.. I mean, when working out. I really want to stay on track and not have to 'sit out' because of my period.

So please ladies, help me feel less awkward by asking some of your embarrassing questions and hopefully we will get some answers =)

Thanks!!

Also, feel free to add me =)

Replies

• labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I am feeling that bad, I listen to my body and just take the day or two of rest...or I take some ibuprofen and just do a light workout like walking
    :smile:
  • hinurd
    Options
    I have this bear that has aroma therapy beads inside it and you put it in the microwave and it soothes the cramping pain! I'll take it to bed at night and lie it where the cramps are or even at the bottom of my back when its sore... that along with some ibuprofen really helps me! I don't think they are expensive at all
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I hobble to the gym and wear my bf's sweats and shirt to workout, since I get so bloated it's crazy. I feel the need to sweat it out, and then I try my best to crunch it out as well. It also keeps my mind off the pain of my cramps and focuses on another type of good pain, the burn of the ab work.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    On that first day, it's load up with Ibuprofen and curl up with a hot water bottle. No working out for me on those days. I like to do a bigger workout the following day though when the pains have gone.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have more endurance the first day but less strength.I usually just go for a long walk.I find it helps the cramps.

On,the other hand there are days I just want to lie down with a hot water bottle.
  • SleepyBunny17
    Options
    If your cycle is regular try to time your exercise around it. If it's regular most of us can somewhat sense when it's coming. Try and get exercise in before it happens that way if you miss a few days it's not a big deal. When it starts to lighten up start up again. Maybe even try something like yoga to ease back into it. Oh and I second Motrin lol
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I reduce my sodium, take an ALEVE and do some light walking:) I love my heating pad, very soothing plus it relieves the pain:)
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I usually stay home on the worst day also - it feels better just to rest :)
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    On the most horrible days I still force myself to the gym but usually end up slowing it down a lot. I usually can't run more than a minute or two because of the cramps/bloating/ etc, so I just crank up the incline and walk on the treadmill to get the burn instead. I know if I didn't go workout than I would only set myself up for failure when the cravings come and I end up over my calories... I bring my banana and fight thru the pain so I can have my chocolate later! Also, for some reason exercise almost always makes my cramps worse (wayyy worse) but I have found that the banana really helps.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I don't workout on my bad days (usually only day 1.) Hell, I work out 6 days a week otherwise. I just give myself a break!

People who say exercise calms bad cramps have honestly never had real, bad, barfing cramps. I 100% believe that.

Ibuprofen and rest, ma dear!
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This may sound wierd, but on my heavy day I take an ibuprofen, I work out extra hard, and I try to lift heavy. Yes, I'll be tired, but It shortens my period big time! Less miserable days lol.
  • Rcasas08
    Rcasas08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They say that excercise eases the pain and bloating that comes with periods. I personally still work out during my period because it helps my cramps but I wait until the 2nd to do so. But everybody is different, do what is more comfortable for you. Do not force yourself to work out, just during those days be very cautious of what you eat since you wont be burning any calories.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

More embarrassing: What products do you use? I'm the oldest girl in my family.. and my Mom only showed me how to use one product when I first started.. I've stuck with that forever. What brand of tampons do you use? Do they work well.. I'm thinking about making my time of the month my 'rest' week.

Thanks again.. you are all awesome =) I appreciate the answers!
  • xaMErica
    Options
    On the most horrible days I still force myself to the gym but usually end up slowing it down a lot. I usually can't run more than a minute or two because of the cramps/bloating/ etc, so I just crank up the incline and walk on the treadmill to get the burn instead. I know if I didn't go workout than I would only set myself up for failure when the cravings come and I end up over my calories... I bring my banana and fight thru the pain so I can have my chocolate later! Also, for some reason exercise almost always makes my cramps worse (wayyy worse) but I have found that the banana really helps.

That is what I did today.. I walked at a 6% incline for a little while.. I honestly thought I was the only one too, exercise makes mine worse!! o.O I've had people say 'stop being a baby! Exercise will make it stop!'.. So I try... and OW ='( They get worse..
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

More embarrassing: What products do you use? I'm the oldest girl in my family.. and my Mom only showed me how to use one product when I first started.. I've stuck with that forever. What brand of tampons do you use? Do they work well.. I'm thinking about making my time of the month my 'rest' week.

I've been a long time tampon + pad user because it has been so heavy! However, I recently discovered the Soft Cup, which I pair with a very thin winged pad (Always is the best brand). You can get the Soft Cup at Walmart, typically. I feel so much better using that than tampons. I have an allergy to materials in feminie products and get irritated by pads and tampons.

The Soft Cup is comfy even when working out!
  • DoriGaga
    DoriGaga Posts: 96
    Options
    I get horrible cramps, sometimes so bad I can't even stand up and I just want to cry. I read something a while back that I swear by now, take ibuprofen at the first slight twinge of a cramp, so it kicks in before the cramps get bad... I do that now and I take them every 4 hours for the first day, and then the second day as needed. I never take any painkillers for anything else, so I figure taking them one day a month like that won't do too much damage.

Sometimes I can still feel the cramps when I do that, and I can't even imagine how bad they would be if I didn't pre-emptively take the Advil!

Also I tried these things from the drugstore, they are these self-heating strips that adhere to the inside of the front of your underwear, and stay warm for 8 hours, and sit against your abdomin and they are amazing. The heat dulls the cramps, and also no one can see heating pad through your clothes so no one knows it's there.
  • tinaferguson40
    Options
    I useto have the heaviest flow ever. I mean I would seriously soak through a tampon or pad in 30 min: than one day I had blood test for a bunch of stuff and found out it was a vitamin D deficientcy . I started taking 4000 ii and the next period and since have been a lot better even normal The massive cramps I use to get have almost gone away . I wished I had known years ago.
  • xaMErica
    Options
    I get horrible cramps, sometimes so bad I can't even stand up and I just want to cry. I read something a while back that I swear by now, take ibuprofen at the first slight twinge of a cramp, so it kicks in before the cramps get bad... I do that now and I take them every 4 hours for the first day, and then the second day as needed. I never take any painkillers for anything else, so I figure taking them one day a month like that won't do too much damage.

Sometimes I can still feel the cramps when I do that, and I can't even imagine how bad they would be if I didn't pre-emptively take the Advil!

Also I tried these things from the drugstore, they are these self-heating strips that adhere to the inside of the front of your underwear, and stay warm for 8 hours, and sit against your abdomin and they are amazing. The heat dulls the cramps, and also no one can see heating pad through your clothes so no one knows it's there.

That seriously sounds like the GREATEST invention ever. I might just have to go find me some!! =) Thanks!
  • xaMErica
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

I've been a long time tampon + pad user because it has been so heavy! However, I recently discovered the Soft Cup, which I pair with a very thin winged pad (Always is the best brand). You can get the Soft Cup at Walmart, typically. I feel so much better using that than tampons. I have an allergy to materials in feminie products and get irritated by pads and tampons.

The Soft Cup is comfy even when working out!

I've seen those.. I've always been terrified to try them. Are they messy.. or difficult to switch? The idea sounds perfect for working out though =)