Increasing Running Miles

Options
Ok, just wondering how to increase my miles.

I can now do 3 miles in just shy of 30 mins without stopping. I run 3 days a week. I understand that once I up my miles, I won't be able to run 3 days per week.

My first running goal is to expand to 5 miles. I'm bright enough to know that I can't just jump from 3 mile runs to a 5 mile run.

How do I work on adding to my current runs? Are there are calculators out there? What did you do?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    At first I just started trying to run a little farther - still three days a week. I think the general rule of thumb is to increase distance by not more than 10% each week. Eventually for the sake of some structure, I downloaded a 10k trainer app - it was free, and was by the same company whose c25k app I had used, so it worked out great.

I actually ended up not completing the weeks with that because it was end of summer and too dang hot, so I backed off and started just running a few miles before taking my kid to school in the cool of the morning. Once fall finally arrived here, I went back to trying to increase distance on my own, and just added a little more probably once a week or so.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why can't you run 3 days a week once you increase your miles?

I run 6 or 7 day a week.

I reject the "10% rule" in favor of the "listen to your body rule." The notion that you can bump up to 3.3 safely but not 3.5 make no sense to me. If you are feeling great, then keep running. The truth is you could get injured at 2.5 miles or run 3.75 and feel great.

Just be careful and have fun!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ^^ That's pretty much what I did. If I felt I could do it, I'd run farther, sometimes with a distance goal in mind, sometimes not. Knees got a little cranky a few times, a sign that I was trying to do too much, so I'd back off.

I've only been running about a year, and still run only three days a week. Works well for me. My longest distance to date is 7 miles, but my average run is about 4 miles.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I never followed the 10% rule really, but what our training program does is just add 1/2 mile each week so it's very gradual. The beginners started at 1/2 mile and by the end of the summer were doing 4 easily. Good luck with your training!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I need a plan, so once I could run 3 miles comfortably I picked up a novice half marathon training plan. I never intended to run a half marathon but I wanted to run long distance and I figured that the plan would gradually increase how far I ran. That was 3 years ago and I now run in half marathon races. Its addictive.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's running. You don't need a plan to run further. Just start running further. If you're running 10 min miles for 3 miles you're probably physically capable of running 5 miles tomorrow if you want to. Listen to your body and if you need to stop or slow down do it. Just go run.

Where did the rule that you can't run 3x per week if the runs are > 3 miles come from?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    At your speed, a five mile run will only take 50 minutes, so there is no need to stop running three times a week.
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One general rule of thumb is to increase by no more than 10%.

Make one of your runs of the week your "long" run. Go slower this run. You should never be too out of breath. Its about getting the miles on your legs, not so much about cardio. (You still get cardio benefits)

Runners World web site has a "Smart Coach" that is free too. Or check our McMillian running too.

I always encourage walk breaks... as that is something that works for me in preventing injuries. (Jeff Galloway method) Plenty of internet info on that)

Good Luck, and happy running!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You could increase each of your runs by 5 mins each time, or you can pick a day to do a long run. I run at least 3x/week, but don't always run the same distance, speed, or time. Change it up. During the week, I usually do between 2.5 and 3.5 miles, but on the weekend, I might do a 5 mile run. You can look up couch 2 5k plans, or half-marathon training plans to give you an idea of how to mix it up.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm a person who likes to have a little voice in my ear telling me what to do.

I used the Bridge to 10K programme. It built nicely on the 5K that I was already running.

I also don't understand why you think you won't be able to run 3 times a week.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    My plan is to increase by .25 mile each week (running 3x per week). My first 5k is in a week and right now I'm just focused on time, but after that I have a 10k in a few months and thats my plan.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's running. You don't need a plan to run further. Just start running further. If you're running 10 min miles for 3 miles you're probably physically capable of running 5 miles tomorrow if you want to. Listen to your body and if you need to stop or slow down do it. Just go run.

Where did the rule that you can't run 3x per week if the runs are > 3 miles come from?

Yup. :drinker:
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was pretty out of shape, though I wasn't large, when I started trying to run. I'm not even where you're at yet, honestly, hahahh. I have slowly gone from a 14 minute mile to a 11 and a half minute mile and from about a mile and a half to up to three and a half miles in something close to 2 months (I used to be a runner and my body knows what it's doing, I'm just out of breath half the time). You didn't just plop out of the sky running three miles in 30 minutes, just use what got to to where you are.

Somedays, run as far as you possibly can, even if your 'run' pace seems like a weak jog. Somedays, practice sprinting in small increments between walking/jogging. Somedays, run as fast as you can, even if you can only maintain that pace for a few minutes. You'll get there, just keep pushing.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I understand that once I up my miles, I won't be able to run 3 days per week.
    a) I call "shenanigans" on that one! I can run EVERY DAY & I run an hour at a time.

b) What I did? I cut me speed to a jog... treadmill 5... & just ran for an hour. If you're in good cardiovascular health (I bike a lot), it's not a problem. And I have a heart murmur. I could do it. Now, I'm working on pulling my speed up with interval training... five minutes faster, five minutes slow jog... etc. Working my way up.

If you want to do it slower, do it slower. But if you're training for a half marathon, what is recommended is staying at a 5k every week & then adding another km on ONE of your 3 runs every week. A full km.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    There are lots of thoughts on this. Here is my experience.
    - I would make one day a longer run day. Instead of 3-3-3 I would do something like 3-2-4. Take the last day and up that by a half mile every 2 weeks. So in a month you would be at 3-2-5.
    - When you get to 7 or 8 miles, change to 5-3-Long run 7+.
    - Listen to your body and don't over do it.
    - Longer runs have different issues. Chafing becomes a much more real problem (body glide!). Your shoes will need to be in top shape, and well fitted.I had toenail issues and had to get ones with larger toe boxes.
    - Stretching is more important because of the longer time you run. Warm up, then stretch!
    - Every 6 or 8 weeks, take it easy.
    - Enter races.

HAVE FUN!

I will add that I am older and had knee surgery by overdoing it. I also got PF, and tendonitis. Listen to your body.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I run three days a week, usually 4 miles two of the days and one long run anywhere from 9 to 12 miles. After I run my 1/2 the end of this month, I will go back down to 4 miles all three days. Maybe...
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Love this advice. Totally agree. I increased my miles when my body felt like running more. I did not force anything. One day i went from 3 miles to 4.6 and cried after because I could not believe how great it felt! Just go with how you feel, and run run run!! Don't forget to stretch after your runs and replenish electrolytes if you sweat like I do! :)

Love running !!!
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    I don't follow any rules for increasing my miles other than "Listen to your body." I run, and when I get near my goal if I am feeling good, I run a bit more. If I am feeling alright for the next 24 hours, that becomes my new max. I went up 7-13 miles one mile at a time, now I can't believe how far I can run.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    There are lots of thoughts on this. Here is my experience.
    - I would make one day a longer run day. Instead of 3-3-3 I would do something like 3-2-4. Take the last day and up that by a half mile every 2 weeks. So in a month you would be at 3-2-5.
    - When you get to 7 or 8 miles, change to 5-3-Long run.
    - Listen to your body and don't over do it.
    - Longer runs have different issues. Chafing becomes a much more real problem (body glide!). Your shoes will need to be in top shape, and well fitted.I had toenail issues and had to get ones with larger toe boxes.
    - Stretching is more important because of the longer time you run. Warm up, then stretch!
    - Every 6 or 8 weeks, take it easy.
    - Enter races.

HAVE FUN!

I agree with this, though I haven't had any chafing or toenail issues. I generally do the following schedule (my current max distance is 10.7 miles - I've got my first half in April).

Week 1: short run, short run, medium run (short is less than 3.5 miles, medium is 3.6 to 7.5 miles)
    Week 2: short run, short run, long run (long run is greater than 7.5 miles)
    Repeat!