Roller Derby FTW

Options
I started training for the local roller derby team here in San Diego. It is the best workout I have tried so far :) Skating in general truth to tell is awesome. But with roller derby there is a coach that is pushing you and you are part of a team striving for the same goal, to get on the track and kick butt. If you can skate and there is a rink close by, I strongly recommend it.

Replies

• FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    Have lots of crazy fun! It looks like such an amazing workout and super fun. I'm terribly jealous!! There is no team here but ive always wanted to join one!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!!! I wish there was one near here!
  • Plwarder
    Plwarder Posts: 30
    Options
    I play Roller Derby for in Kansas City, MO. It is amazing on so many levels including the exercise. This is my 4th season.
  • BellaBones
    BellaBones Posts: 136
    Options
    There are many flat track teams. If you have a roller skating rink anywhere near you, go down there, if they dont have a team, try talking to them about starting one. It is catching on like wild fire :) You can also locate teams on Facebook and WFTDA. Good luck in all you do :) You can add me if you would all like. Im here for support and friends :)
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Man, do I want to do this. I told some of my coworkers and they were like, "umm... I don't know." BAH!!! I will be a one-woman wrecking machine! WOOHOOO!!!!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    We have a pretty big league here in Eugene Oregon. The teams play quite a few bouts and they are a lot of fun to watch. I've thought about joining the Fresh Meat team as well but they practice for liek 2 hours every night and the start up cost, even if you buy used gear, is between $300-$500!!!

My 3 1/2 year old daughter LOVES to watch it, so we always go to the bouts when they are local.

Good luck and have a great time!

WHIP IT!!!

LOL
  • BellaBones
    BellaBones Posts: 136
    Options
    Yeah here in SD it is 10 dollars a practice and there are 2 to 3 practices a week. The gear can be expensive. I was lucky enough to already have skates, that is the deepest expense, but once you have everything, you are ready to rule. It beats paying for a gym membership, your coach is your personal trainer and your teammates are your support system :)
  • tarynbonesapart
    Options
    I skate for a team in Oklahoma City and it has utterly changed my life. The cost can be expensive but the benefits of having a sisterhood of women after the same goal as well as the health benefits far outweighs the cost in my opinion. I started Derby in Nov 2009 and to date I have lost 4 pants sizes and a total of 85 pounds. I still have 60 more to my goal but I have the greatest support team of coaches and friends. I can work out daily with any of them and not pay for a gym membership. Derby is a way of life just like losing weight.