When do you notice fat loss from strength training?

Options
I started strength training Monday in conjunction with Cardio. It's a twelve week program and I was wondering when I will notice the muscles growing and the fat melting? I'm not really concerned about the aspect of my weight while doing it but the actual fat itself. Thanks!

Replies

• Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I m doing the same and been doing it before too ! It all depends on the training schedule and on the food too - with the right food and right amount of training u ll start really soon to notice changes in your muscles :) Good luck !
  • ericcanute
    ericcanute Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well I have been eating very healthy meals along with it, so I'm hoping to see some results!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different but I would not expect anything til at least 3-4 weeks. Just focus on the program and the results will come.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different but I would not expect anything til at least 3-4 weeks. Just focus on the program and the results will come.
    This. Takes about 4 weeks for you to notice change.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training are you doing?
  • zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    Options

I agree as well. You may be one of the lucky ones and notice weight loss right away, but don't count on it.

Remember you will lose fat faster than gain muscle, ideally you could lose 8-10 lbs of fat in a month, but you would only gain about 2 lbs of muscle with hard strenuous workouts.
  • ericcanute
    Options
    What kind of strength training are you doing?
    It's a plan from bodybuilding.com it focuses on most of the muscle groups from what I've seen so far.
  • ericcanute
    Options

I agree as well. You may be one of the lucky ones and notice weight loss right away, but don't count on it.

Remember you will lose fat faster than gain muscle, ideally you could lose 8-10 lbs of fat in a month, but you would only gain about 2 lbs of muscle with hard strenuous workouts.
    So are you saying that I should expect to lose more fat than I am gaining in muscle?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say that ever three to four weeks you should start to notice something...

with my training I notice that about every four weeks the weights get progressively lighter and I need to adjust them up. I also notice that my body appears to break itself down and then rebuild about every four weeks as well...like week three I start to think I look like *kitten* and by week four I think I look like a f'ing beast....weird I know...
  • ndj1979
    Options

So are you saying that I should expect to lose more fat than I am gaining in muscle?

If you are eating in deficit you probably will not "gain" any muscle. You will get stronger and you will appear to have bigger muscles; however, this is because you are losing body fat and your muscles are just showing more...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.

Body composition comes from strength training.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Have you lifted before?
  • ericcanute
    Options
    I would say that ever three to four weeks you should start to notice something...

with my training I notice that about every four weeks the weights get progressively lighter and I need to adjust them up. I also notice that my body appears to break itself down and then rebuild about every four weeks as well...like week three I start to think I look like *kitten* and by week four I think I look like a f'ing beast....weird I know...
    That is very interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I'm also trying to get down to 8-12 percent body fat and I'm at 22 right now. Any tips on that?
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for almost 2 months and have noticed quite a bit of fat loss. Muscle definition is coming along, but much slower.
  • ericcanute
    Options

Have you lifted before?
    I am on a deficit and not as a lifestyle change like I'm trying now. I've done it for track at times but not like this routine I've been following.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That is very interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I'm also trying to get down to 8-12 percent body fat and I'm at 22 right now. Any tips on that?

Keep eating at a reasonable deficit and lose body fat.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Make sure youmare doing some compound lifts and adding weight everytime you lift. Your muscles wont really get much bigger as you are trying to lose weight. Your strength however will increase dramatically if doing it right. Forget the scale for a while and take measurements. You will drop pant sizes ect. You will look and feel much better.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Have you lifted before?
    I am on a deficit and not as a lifestyle change like I'm trying now. I've done it for track at times but not like this routine I've been following.

You may make some 'newbie' gains at first as long as you have a good progressive loading strength training routine. The amount is finite and very variable as it depends on things like BF%, sex, training intensity, level of deficit, getting enough protein, genetics etc.

In general though, yes you will lose body fat at a quicker rate than you *might* gain muscle (if you do indeed gain some).

No matter what though, strength training will preserve your LBM and will make you stronger (plus a slew of other benefits) so that your weight loss = fat loss and you will look better when you get to your goal BF%.

Edited for typo
  • ericcanute
    Options

Have you lifted before?

You may make some 'newbie' gains at first as long as you have a good progressive loading strength training routine. The amount is finite and very variable as it depends on things like BF%, sex, training intensity, level of deficit, getting enough protein, genetics etc.

In general though, yes you will lose body fat at a quicker rate than you *might* gain muscle (if you do indeed gain some).

No matter what though, strength training will preserve your LBM and will make you stronger (plus a slew of other benefits) so that your weight loss = fat loss and you will look better when you get to your goal BF%.

Edited for typo

Thank you for the help! I'm currently eating about 1500 calories a day, is that okay or should I change it?
  • ndj1979
    Options

lose body fat % is simple or so it sounds....keep eating in deficit and keep crushing the weights...if you at 22% right now you might benefit from one or two cardio routines a week until you get to sub 20% body fat...

What does your current program look like? Days working out, body parts hit, etc..? Are you doing deadlifts, squats, bench press...?