Low sugar probiotic yogurt?

marybethbeech
marybethbeech Posts: 181
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been eating fat free Activia yogurt at least once, sometimes twice, a day. The problem is, each container has 12 sugars, and my goal for the day is 24. Even if I don't eat anything else sweet the entire day, the days when I have 2 yogurts I go over my sugar.

I feel like I need a yogurt with probiotics. I feel much MUCH better when I eat one regularly. I've read a lot that yogurt really helps with weight loss. But I've also read that cutting down on sugar helps weight loss. I'm not sure what I need to sacrifice here, or what my options are to help keep my sugar down while still eating a yogurt with probiotics.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? What should I do?

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but I found a soy yogurt that is plain and only has 3g of sugar per cup. I found it at the food co-op after I discovered I was allergic to dairy products. Not only does it have the probiotics you want, but it's high in fiber as well.

It's Wildwood Plain Soyogurt.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Where else is your sugar coming from? If the bulk/majority of your sugar is from natural sources (e.g. fruits & veggies), then I wouldn't worry about the sugar because those will put you over every time. In fact, I stopped tracking sugar altogether and instead started tracking sodium because that was affecting me more than the sugar was. Just a thought :smile:
  • foxywife75
    foxywife75 Posts: 59 Member
    Natural sugars from milk, fruit & veggies is the best sugar for you. If sugar has been added, then that's when it's an issue. If you enjoy your yogurt, then try greek yogurt. You could also start taking a probiotic supplement. Psyllium seed husk is also very good for your digestive system & it's got lots of fibre. Fibre is your friend when it comes to having a healthy digestive system.
    Good luck.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Take a look at orgnanic plain nonfat greek yogurt. HIgh in protien, naturally has the good probiotics in it already and then you can control the sweetener by adding it yourself by the way of fresh fruit, honey, etc.
This discussion has been closed.