Anytime Fitness - personal trainers - thoughts?

Options
I have a membership with Anytime Fitness and recently had an assessment with a personal trainer. The gym advertised free access to personal trainers but as that turns out, it really means that you can approach them and ask how to use the equipment but if you want 1:1 time, you have to pay for that (that may be obvious to most but I wasn't aware of that). So in discussions with the PT, I shared that I was frustrated with my lack of weight loss having been at a plateau for about 3 months now. He suggested signing up to work 1:1 with a PT and the minimum number of session is 12 at $61 per session (1 hour sessions). Is that about the average that you spend per session for a personal trainer? Do most require that many sessions as a minimum?

I joined the gym last year after having not belonged to one for about 20 years so really no idea how this works as far as paying someone to help me work out - he felt that if I did this, I could lose the 15 pounds I want within 6 weeks.

As a background, I have been on MFP for about 285 days and log every day and typically am under calories nearly every day. First 24 pounds came off easy now I am just stalled. Went to the doc recently for an annual physical and she advised that the next 15 will only come off with 3 sessions of hard exercise so I don't doubt I need to do this to lose the weight...just looking for opinions whether I can lose it on my own (I work out at home with DVDs -Jillian Michaels, Tony Horton DVDs, Turbo Fire, etc.) or if going with a PT is really the best choice.

Thank you!

Replies

• bjdavid53
    bjdavid53 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I belong to Goodlife and their trainers charge about the same amount, but I think you have to sign up for at least 6 months training. That's a lot of money and a major commitment and you may not lose any weight.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Um that is ridiculously overpriced. I was at Anytime Fitness and our trainers were max of $40 per session and if you signed up for so many sessions, you could get them as cheap as $30 per session.

That being said, it could just be where you're located at. I would do it if I had the money, so if you do have the money, give it a try. Most people I know have had wonderful results with trainers.
  • skaimee
    skaimee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just signed up at a new gym and it's $ 35 for 30 min. Sessions. I meet with her
    once a week. After 4 weeks i lost 2% body fst and half n inch from hips. I think its pricy but have decided i need to start seious strength training. Up till now i just did Zumba. Good luck!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My gym has small groups up to 5 sessions for 6 weeks for $60 and I thought that was alot. I guess it is a bargain.
    See if they do small groups.
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to work with a trainer you should. I would in a heartbeat! I am at Anytime and they have single sessions available for purchase.

I just joined the Hollywood Fit Club through anytime for $20.00. It goes for 12 weeks and during the competition you get to meet with a trainer every 2 weeks to weigh in and get workout/nutrition advice. Does your club offer this?

Personally, I think you eat far too little! If you increase your calories and work out 30 minutes a day you wil probably lose weight faster.

Take a look at this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    and I always recommend this video:

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Training-Jackie-Power-Circuit/dp/B002L6HDAQ

but beware that you will not be able to walk for a couple days following! It doesn't feel so hard when you are doing it, but oh-my-goodness, it kicks butt!
  • lisa77marie
    lisa77marie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    $61.00 a session sounds about normal. My gym charges $60.00 a session for 1 hour. I'm sure you could find someone for less, but I think you get what you pay for.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    $61 is normal and actually low in my area. My trainers are around $75-80.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My main two reasons why a personal trainer is worth it!

1) I believe if you do not properly know how to utilize the equipment and exercise's to there fullest extent. Then you are prone to injury and should seek an expert in the field

2) You are unable to push yourself passed "the wall" for fatigue on the muscle(s). Then seek someone who can help you do this. Even a freind can help with this part...seeing that you can meet reason #1

If you know how to properly use the equipment and exercises and can push past "the wall", then you can do it without, but having a trainer will usually push you way beyond you mental blocks.

Good luck in your decision!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'll second that small group training suggestion. I've just finished 6 weeks of this. You get the benefit of seeing the trainer, and working closely with him/her, and they get to know your capabilities/strengths/weaknesses... but the price tag is much lower. I also found that being in a group of like-minded people, we tended to try harder.

I'm hoping they start another group pretty soon, as each week was different, fun and hardwork all at the same time.
  • BHetrick
    BHetrick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Before spending money on anything, don't forget you already have access to all the knowledge you'll ever need for free; the web.

What I've done for myself; I started over on bodybuilding.com and went through their workouts section. I picked out a workout which fit the type of strength training I wanted to go with.

After that I went over to YouTube and watched a ton of vids of the types of exercises which pertained to my workout. What's nice about YT is that there's so many different videos from so many different people (trainers and amateurs), so you'll end up see the right way and the wrong way to perform proper movement. And when it's wrong you'll know it because the comment section will be lit up like a Christmas tree.
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well this makes me feel better about what I'm paying to see mine. A cousin and I went in together for a personal trainer and we're each paying $25 an hour for a once-per-week one hour session. Also weekly weigh ins. We did our first workout this week and I do have to say it was one of the best sessions I've had in a few months.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    1. Of course the PT said that they are in a business of selling sessions.

2. I don't know how your doctor came up with the idea that you will lose 15 lbs after 3 intense exercise sessions, did I read that right?

3. That price is about what I pay for personal training but the more sessions you buy you get a little discount off the hourly price. I would call around and see what the prices are in your area. Also be sure to ask if there are any promotions/discounts for first time buyers.

As for whether you should go for it I would ask yourself if you can afford it and how comfortable you are in a gym working out on your own or in a group fitness class. If you can push yourself on your own then perhaps a package of 4 sessions would be fine and you can ask the trainer for stuff to do during the week when you aren't working together, after four weeks you should have plenty to choose from. If you can afford it and need the accountability/someone to push you hard then go for the 12 sessions. I love working with a trainer, I have been pushed to limits both mentally and physically that I would have never taken myself.

If you decide to go for it I suggest scoping out the trainers in your gym and watching how they interact with their clients. Also be sure to have some goals other than losing weight and some ideas of what types of workouts you think you want to be doing.
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    $60 sounds normal to me, I did a few sessions with a PT and it was about 70-75$ a session.

I'll be the voice of dissent and say I didn't find it worth it. If you've never stepped into a gym before or have serious problems with motivation, then yeah, for sure use one. But all I found he did was set up a routine for me (similar to one I could have pulled from New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Overcoming Gravity, etc.) and then walked me around the gym saying things like 'just five more! you can do it!'. I can count too, dumbass, I know how many more I have. I was never going to stop before I finished, so hush.

I will probably do another one-off session to look at form and/or weaknesses in my routine after a bit, but doing a weekly trainer thing? Nah. If you can push yourself and dedicate a bit of time to learning about the subject on your own, you don't need it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    would you mind opening your diary so we can take a look at it and see if there is something within your diet that could be causing the stall-out?
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options

2. I don't know how your doctor came up with the idea that you will lose 15 lbs after 3 intense exercise sessions, did I read that right?

Sorry...let me clarify. My doctor felt that I needed to do 3 intense exercise sessions each week to be able to lose the last 15 pounds (did not specify a time period of how long it would take for the weight to come off just that I needed to commit to 3 hour long sessions a week) but rather that I couldn't rely on diet alone to lose the last bit of weight that I want to drop. The first 24 pounds came off quickly and then I was frustrated because it just seemed to stall and she was trying to communicate that diet alone won't get me there...I need to shift my focus on more intense exercise and then diet (which is the opposite of what I've done thus far).
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Options
    I'd go for group training! That way you get company AND people to encourage you!

I personally had a bad experience with Anytime Fitness AND a personal trainer there who actually kept harassing me because I wouldn't sign up. I ended up leaving that gym because it was constant and that sucked because it cost me $150 to cancel my membership.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    1. $61 per session is about average in a premium facility. Not sure that AF qualifies.

2. The money is worth it if you have a qualified trainer. Again, not sure what your chances are of finding one in a commercial chain like AF. I would definitely investigate the trainer's credentials and try to observe him or her inaction.

3. You can always play hardball and say either I get a free session to try it out or I don't do anything at all. Maybe, they'll compromise with a 1/2 hr freebie.

4. Group personal training is a cheaper option if they offer it. But is also depends on what you want. My experience is that group training usually consists of a "boot camp" type of class. That may be just what you need. But if you are looking for instruction of proper lifting, for example, I don't know that you will get that in a group training session.

5. As others have said, you can try to put something together on your own and try that out while you are researching trainers.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    After being a trainer in the industry I'll add my 2 cents: :huh:

1. I usually charge anywhere from $30 - $55/ session depending on the package.

2. Any trainer, before being hired, should be qualified and knowledgeable as well as a "people person"....I offer one free session to see if you like me, style, etc.

3. That is all I can think of at this moment, but anyone is free to PM me with specific questions

PS. I work at an Anytime Fitness....(each one is independently owned/operated)
  • acegrassmasters
    acegrassmasters Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Join Planet Fitness and you can use their personal trainers for FREE