Red Lentil, Winter Squash and Apple Soup

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
I have made this soup several times this fall/winter, including another big batch tonight. It's freaking delicious, so I am finally getting around to adding it to the forums :bigsmile:

The fall is my favourite season for amazing market fresh produce, and I have been indulging in the rich, creamy goodness of winter squash (buttercup is my squash of choice) all season long. It's like nature's candy - roasted in the oven for 30-40 minutes and it makes a luxurious fuilt-free afternoon snack. Just roast and enjoy. Keeps well in the frigde, too. I love it plain but have been craving a warm soup and wanted to whip something up with warm Indian flavours - thus, this soup was born.

Inspired by a few recipes online, but just tried to wing it to suit my tastes...

Red Lentil, Winter Squash and Apple Soup (makes approx 5-6 large bowls)
1 medium sized winter squash (buttercup preferred), pre-cooked in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften, peeled and cubed
1Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
2 leeks, sliced lengthwise and then into thin half-moons
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp minced ginger root
3 tsp (hot) curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 large apple, chopped - crisp/sweet variety (I used Mitsu)
1 cup red lentils
8-10 cups total liquid, any combination of broth and water (I used 4cups chicken broth + 6 cups water)

Sour cream or greek yogurt, and pico de gallo to serve

Heat your oven to 425'F. Place squash on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, flipping half-way through, until browned and soft to the touch. ** I always pre-cook mine in the microwave for 5 minutes (poke a few holes in it to let out the steam first) to aid in the cubing and peeling process. It also cuts down roasting time.

While your squash is roasting, heat the oil in a large soup pot on medium to med-high. Add onions and carrots and brown for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add leeks and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, spices, and stir to coat. Cook another 2 minutes until fragrant. Add apple pieces and lentils to the pot, stir well, and then add your liquid. Bring the soup to a simmer and then lower your heat to medium-low (around 4). Once the squash is roasted, add to the pot, and simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes or so until the lentil are soft.

At this stage you can either blend the entire soup with an immersion blender, or reserve approx 1/3 of the soup, and blend the remainder. I did the latter because I like to have some discernible chunks in my soup. Blend until you reach your desired consistency and add the reserved vegetables back to the pot.

Serve with sour cream or greek yogurt and pico de gallo (or not), and enjoy.

Try this soup. It's dead easy and will warm you up on a cold autumn day. Its the perfect meal for a week-night, especially if you have roasted squash prepared already. It also makes amazing leftovers.

Approx stats for 1/6 recipe - 230 calories, 2.6g fat, 42g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 11g protein, 8g sugar, 80mg sodium (if using no salt added broth).