I don't get it.

Options
I spent all morning looking up the specifics, my tdee, bmr, bmi ect. It gave me 2800 in calories. Everyone Stressed how you should stay at your tdee to loose weight, if not slightly under I dont know what im doing wrong.. i am aiming for 2200 so its 20% under, I filled out my daily log in and it came up my weight now and said you will be at this weight in 5 weeks. Someone explain. Please. Haha

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm just learning about this myself. I think eating at TDEE = maintenance. Eating below TDEE but above BMR will = weight loss.
    Some eat at TDEE minus 20%, some minus 10%
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think most people mean that you should eat at least your BMR, which is the minimum amount of calories that your body needs to function normally. Your TDEE is what you burn all day, which includes your exercise calories. Most people suggest you should eat --20% TDEE to lose weight safely, but that may be too aggressive a cut for people who only have a little to lose or who are close to their goal weight. All numbers are basically an estimation.

I did the calculators and my BMR is around 1362 and at lightly active my TDEE is around 2100. I usually eat around 1900 or so and I do not add any exercise calories since they are already calculated into my TDEE. Also I'm 5'4" and 136lbs.

I hope you found this helpful. :flowerforyou:
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm just learning about this myself. I think eating at TDEE = maintenance. Eating below TDEE but above BMR will = weight loss.
    Some eat at TDEE minus 20%, some minus 10%

Yes, you're right. You can eat your TDEE every day and not gain weight. Only if you go over TDEE.

ETA: This is, of course, for most people who have normal metabolisms, barring any other medical problems.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? What activity level did you choose and what is your TDEE before you add in extra exercise? You're supposed to eat less than your TDEE but more than your BMR to lose weight. It seems like a lot of people mark themselves as active or very active, but then also add on their exercise calories (which are already included in the BMR if you check active or very active) and then they're just double-dipping.
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was aiming for 1500 before and I have been stuck in a rut and I looke this up and my tdee was 2800 is that normal??!? Seems high so I cut it to 2200 that's roughly 20% less but it feels like alot still! No?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If you eat at TDEE, you will maintain. You should eat between your BMR and TDEE. Many do a 20 percent cut from their TDEE. Some subtract 500 calories for a loss of 1 pound per week.

MFP tends to underestimate this. That is why it tells you that you will gain.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I spent all morning looking up the specifics, my tdee, bmr, bmi ect. It gave me 2800 in calories. Everyone Stressed how you should stay at your tdee to loose weight, if not slightly under I dont know what im doing wrong.. i am aiming for 2200 so its 20% under, I filled out my daily log in and it came up my weight now and said you will be at this weight in 5 weeks. Someone explain. Please. Haha

Sounds high.

Whats your info?

Weight
    Body Fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine?
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    What is your BMR? What activity level did you choose and what is your TDEE before you add in extra exercise? You're supposed to eat less than your TDEE but more than your BMR to lose weight. It seems like a lot of people mark themselves as active or very active, but then also add on their exercise calories (which are already included in the BMR if you check active or very active) and then they're just double-dipping.
    My bmr is 1833, I do workout alot I workout like 3-4 times a week so I put myself where I should be with the calculator. I don't take those calories back after exercises I know not to do that.
  • loseit4ever12
    Options

IGNORE what MFP is "guessing" you will weigh in 5 weeks if you are using the TDEE formula (basically always ignore that stupid number anyways). That number is MFP saying what you "could" weigh if you ate EXACTLY like you did that day, everyday. BUT it is also based on MFP's calculations and thus means absolutely nothing if you plugged in your own custom calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Sounds high.

Whats your info?

Weight
    Body Fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, ignore what MFP says you'll weigh in 5 weeks if you ate like this every day, blah blah blah. It tells me I'll weigh more than I do now, yet I continuously lose fat, inches and even pounds, thanks to Dan's Road Map.

By the way, that's Dan right there asking for your info so he can double check your numbers for you - give him your info and let him work the magic. :drinker:
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    Age 25
    Height 6 foot
    Weight 220
    Body Fat% 41.8%
    Occupation stay at home mom
    Workout routine? Workout 3-4 times a week
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    Yeah I used his post today for it :-) thanks I was so upset reading what it said I would weigh!! Haha
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Eat 2k a day till 25% body fat.

Lift 3x a week.
    Walk everywhere or get 10k steps a day.
    Take fish oil, creatine, multivitamin and a probiotic.

Eat all your protein!
    Dont drink it!

Load up on free veggies!

Eat essential fats!
    ;D
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    When calculation TDEE be sure to answer honestly as far as What your activity level really is. If you are sedentary, choose that. Then when you exercise more you will want to eat back your calories from that. However if you choose very active exercising 5 or 6 days a week, you would not eat back those calories. In essence you choose your activity level when calculating TDEE. if you exercise above that level, eat this calories back. You want your NET calories to be at least BMR.
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    So shoot for 2000 then? Any specifics for protein fat carbs ?
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    Didn't see that part of the post you put till after I asked haha
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ignore that ' you will weigh this much in this amount of weeks'. Ive been eating the same etc, and its not like that. If your worried about cals etc, maybe see a nutritionist !
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Never mind what I said, listen to Dan
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    Never mind what I said, listen to Dan
    Hahaha