Any Orthodox Christians out there??

Options
2»

Replies

• stacyhall79
    Options
    I wonder if the mods will decide this thread is devisive. Hmmmmmm...

What?? Why?
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Russian Orthodox here in AK..although I also go to the Greek orthodox church sometimes too:) soups are good like veggie borscht and red stew with no beef:)

You have a Russian AND a Greek Church? You probably also have a Taco Bell and a road that goes to another town.

(I'm in Juneau)

Wow-you would totally be blown away by DC, lol we have Russian, Greek, Byzantine, Romanian, Antiochian, OCA, Georgian, Etc etc etc!

I'm originally from Jersey. I had to go past a Syrian, Greek, and Russian church to get to my Russian church.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

What?? Why?

Religious threads don't go over well here but I see no problem with this, no one is doing anything wrong or offensive!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

What?? Why?

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

ETA: That's why she said that.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Russian Orthodox here in AK..although I also go to the Greek orthodox church sometimes too:) soups are good like veggie borscht and red stew with no beef:)

You have a Russian AND a Greek Church? You probably also have a Taco Bell and a road that goes to another town.

(I'm in Juneau)

Wow-you would totally be blown away by DC, lol we have Russian, Greek, Byzantine, Romanian, Antiochian, OCA, Georgian, Etc etc etc!

I'm originally from Jersey. I had to go past a Syrian, Greek, and Russian church to get to my Russian church.

Me too!

From Jersey. But I am Unorthodox.

I eat what everyone else gives up for lent. I am here for your protection. Youre welcome.
  • Pollyanna54
    Pollyanna54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Russian Orthodox here! Am actually looking forward to Lent, as my intake of everthing has been too much!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I'm an Orthodox trainer. My philosophy rules!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Motria
    Motria Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums.

We're talking about dietary restrictions of a certain faith group, not debating theology..

That being said, it might be worthwhile to gather up some folks who commented in this thread and create a Group in 2 weeks once Lent starts. The focus doesn't have to be Orthodox, per se. How about "40 Day Vegan Challenge (aka Orthodox Lent)" . We could post recipes, suggestion on where to find vegan/lenten products, etc. Let me know if you might want to join or co-moderate.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums.

We're talking about dietary restrictions of a certain faith group, not debating theology..

That being said, it might be worthwhile to gather up some folks who commented in this thread and create a Group in 2 weeks once Lent starts. The focus doesn't have to be Orthodox, per se. How about "40 Day Vegan Challenge (aka Orthodox Lent)" . We could post recipes, suggestion on where to find vegan/lenten products, etc. Let me know if you might want to join or co-moderate.

I know you're not debating theology.
    It's just threads like this (arguments or not) are viewed as divisive and may be locked or deleted.

Good luck with Lent and the dietary restrictions =]
  • stacyhall79
    Options

sigh...can't please everybody...I thought we were having a nice discussion...but yes! I would be interested in joining that group!
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am also a Russian Orthodox Christian living in Alaska. I live in Russian Mission. Haven't been much of a church goer since I was a child. I used to get scolded a lot for "messing around" while being an Altar server. The person who was doing the scolding knew I wasn't being mischievous while serving but would still scold me not the other people who were really being mischievous... I haven't tried to observe the lent since high school :frown:
    Edit: Feel free to add :wink:
  • crisdai
    crisdai Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So happy I found this...Romanian orthodox here..:)
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    for all...please join the group 40 day Vegan Challenge (AKA orthodox lent) Our friend Motria started it and we can all use the encouragement :)
  • makarj
    makarj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Im coptic and fasting for lent! Hope to hear great motivation! So what i do is shop for produce thats in season and mix in to rice. For example, i just bought a cabbage, boiled it and cut it up and added tomato sauce, salt, pepper, parsley. Its like making stuffed cabbage without stuffing ☺

Happy Lent and hope this is helpful.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    makarj wrote: »
    Hey guys! Im coptic and fasting for lent! Hope to hear great motivation! So what i do is shop for produce thats in season and mix in to rice. For example, i just bought a cabbage, boiled it and cut it up and added tomato sauce, salt, pepper, parsley. Its like making stuffed cabbage without stuffing ☺

Happy Lent and hope this is helpful.

This post is 3 years old. :)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

(I'm in Juneau)

I bet there are a bunch of Russian Orthodox in Alaska given the history there.