Knee injury

Felidae
Felidae Posts: 2
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hurt my knee a couple of weeks ago and I am really bummed. I was hoping to rev up my walking routine this summer and now it's derailed. Need exercise pointers from others in my situation. Thanks!

Replies

• balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    How did you hurt it? I tore my meniscus a few months ago, and just had arthroscopic surgery to repair it. I was able to keep walking while I was injured, but it never healed so I had arthroscopic surgery a few weeks ago and was back to walking within days.

Are you able to bike? Low resistance? That was an exercise that was recommended to me for rehabilitation. No weight bearing, but it built up the muscles around my knee that support it.

I was also able to do upper body weight lifting, some modified yoga, and swimming.

Be sure to have a doc take a look, if you haven't already!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    What exactly did you do to it? Was it a tear or a dislocation.... Just cuz healing times differ.

I dislocated mine and the first thing I had to do was go out and get a good brace. Then I started on elliptical. Ellipticals and arc trainers are better for your knees. Anything that doesn't have your leg making a jarring impact with the ground. I wish I could, but I will never ever be a runner. It's just too painful. Provided your doc approves it elliptical has always been good for me.

I'm also taking up swimming, as it's better for all your joints, and as an added bonus is a good core strengthener.

One thing that I have noticed, at least in my case, and it might be different for you depending on your injury - once I really started working out and building muscle, I noticed a great improvement in my knee. Dislocating it left it somewhat weak, but as I've built up the muscles around it, I've definitely noticed they must be picking up the slack, because its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Hope this helps.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Are you able to bike? Low resistance? That was an exercise that was recommended to me for rehabilitation. No weight bearing, but it built up the muscles around my knee that support it.

I forgot about this one! But, yes, definitely biking is good for me as well. My favorite is recumbant, but I also have a cruiser for riding around my neighborhood.
  • Felidae
    Felidae Posts: 2
    I'm not sure how I hurt it. It wasn't a sudden traumatic injury. I am in the midst of diagnosis. Right now it is a probable medial meniscus tear but there may also be some minor ACL damage. I am seeing a surgeon on Thursday. I will ask about biking.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I'm not sure how I hurt it. It wasn't a sudden traumatic injury. I am in the midst of diagnosis. Right now it is a probable medial meniscus tear but there may also be some minor ACL damage. I am seeing a surgeon on Thursday. I will ask about biking.

You should be back to working out in no time if it is a meniscus tear. Just get it repaired ASAP when it is diagnosed.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    What exactly did you do to it? Was it a tear or a dislocation.... Just cuz healing times differ.

I dislocated mine and the first thing I had to do was go out and get a good brace. Then I started on elliptical. Ellipticals and arc trainers are better for your knees. Anything that doesn't have your leg making a jarring impact with the ground. I wish I could, but I will never ever be a runner. It's just too painful. Provided your doc approves it elliptical has always been good for me.

I'm also taking up swimming, as it's better for all your joints, and as an added bonus is a good core strengthener.

One thing that I have noticed, at least in my case, and it might be different for you depending on your injury - once I really started working out and building muscle, I noticed a great improvement in my knee. Dislocating it left it somewhat weak, but as I've built up the muscles around it, I've definitely noticed they must be picking up the slack, because its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Hope this helps.

Yeeeouch! I dislocated mine a few times. Definitely definitely stay up on the PT. I ended up needing surgery because it kept happening.
This discussion has been closed.