Hip Replacment and running

Options
Quick history. Back in 2000 I had a hip replacement, it was done at the Mayo clinic and they used a experimental joint. It has been a wonderful thing and is wearing like iron, normally they wear out at 15ish years. Mine still looks like new with no wear at all showing in x rays. They did not cement it into the femur, the design allows for bone to grow around it and hold it in place. At the time, they told me I would never be able to run with it as there was a chance of fracturing the bone. The few times I have had to run it sends the feeling of chewing on tinfoil throughout my body! I am not sure why, but I REALLY want to run. It is like some sort of deep primitive need I have. I get on the treadmill and about 10 into it I just feel it! The need to just unleash and go! So tonight I cranked it up to 5.5 and ran about 10 seconds and came quickly back to reality that I am NOT able to do this!
My questions are. With muscle building and weight loss will I ever be able to run? Anyone have a cemented hip replacement and able to run on it? I know that I should not and can not run but how do I get rid of this overwhelming want/need to run?

Replies

• lisabautista777
    Options
    I completely understand your need to run. I used to run when I was younger and the feeling that I got was one that I couldn't even explain. I had a difficult childhood but when I ran, none of that mattered...for that moment, I could run away from it all. I injured my knee 12 years ago, while chasing after my son, I fell so hard I had a torn ligament. Never the same again..put on the weight and forgot all about my love of running. Lately, that's all I've wanted to do. My mom had a total hip replacement..I'm not sure what they did for hers, the exact details but I know that what you're feeling, can't be a good sign and as much as you want to, you shouldn't push yourself. God forbid that you would ever have to have another one..my mom has gone back twice since her first. Who knows what 10 or 20 less pounds will do. Before I lost 63 pounds, running was impossible to do without pain and inflamation at the end of the night. It's hard for me to give any advice, not only have I never gone through one but I'm one who puts my faith in God, not doctors. I believe in miracles and I'm hoping for one for you. I know I'm no help but I sure hope that you find the answers that you need. :)