compulsive carb cravings

Options
All day i can walk away from a cookie....i can eat perfectly within my diet and calories. Boom nighttime comes and i crave carbs like someone with a drug addiction. sometimes i can hold out til 830...sometimes 10 sometimes even 12....but it just gets worse as time passes and i cant help but eat. I'm at my wits end. Anyon eelse have this problem or a solution?

Replies

• agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I get carb cravings too. My suggestion is to do plenty of anaerobic exercise so that you can indulge a little on carbs at night. This way, they work for you, not against you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    All day i can walk away from a cookie....i can eat perfectly within my diet and calories. Boom nighttime comes and i crave carbs like someone with a drug addiction. sometimes i can hold out til 830...sometimes 10 sometimes even 12....but it just gets worse as time passes and i cant help but eat. I'm at my wits end. Anyon eelse have this problem or a solution?

So eat some carbs. Plan the rest of your day to leave room for some at night.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If i could see your food diary I might have an opinion.
  • Goal00128
    Options
    You are fighting your biology. Your body responds to carbs (glucose) by producing insulin. The insulin then decreases the amount of glucose in your system. Next things you know, you are eating carbs again. It is a cycle. If you significantly decrease the carbs in your diet and instead eat high protein foods you will dramatically reduce your cravings. It really really works. Processed carbs are the worst. Simple carbs in fruits and vegetables are much better and healthier. Healthy fats in moderation are ok because they fill you up.

Hope this helps
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I opened my food diary
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used t have that kind of craving. Ihave pretty much eliminated starches and refined sugars from my diet and those
    cravings went away. It is my belief that cravings are a result of some nutrient missing from the diet. I think it is usually
    the minerals or the various phytochemicals. It seems to me that a diet which includes a wide variety of vegetables and
    fruits provides the best chance of getting the minerals and phytochemicals.
  • bluecrayonz
    Options
    You are fighting your biology. Your body responds to carbs (glucose) by producing insulin. The insulin then decreases the amount of glucose in your system. Next things you know, you are eating carbs again. It is a cycle. If you significantly decrease the carbs in your diet and instead eat high protein foods you will dramatically reduce your cravings. It really really works. Processed carbs are the worst. Simple carbs in fruits and vegetables are much better and healthier. Healthy fats in moderation are ok because they fill you up.

Hope this helps

so i figured thats a good idea and today i limited my carbs and i was fine all day but at night i got the cravings again....is it the kind of thing that i just need to fight for a few days and itll get better?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of your favorite ice cream with some nuts on it. Save up those 100 calories. So worth it.
  • xxrox123
    xxrox123 Posts: 1
    Options
    the carbs at night thing.....me too, uncontrollably, it takes over my thinking it is crazy! If anyone has any Ideas to stop them or weaken them would love to know! :)
  • Toomanytwinkies
    Toomanytwinkies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon the answer, for me, anyways. I have even been getting out of bed at night for carbs! Bad, I know. This week I started drinking half a lemon squeezed into a coffee cup of hot water in the morning. I do the same around 6 at night. I can't believe I'm saying this but I just don't care about the carbs now. The lemon is supposed to level your glucose levels out, among other benefits. Google it, I am sooo happy with my new find!
  • taso42
    Options
    I opened my food diary

Ok. So you've only logged today - very low calories. And then a whole bunch of blank days, and then many days back, a few days again with very low calories.

You're just hungry due to undereating. So eat. Carbs, protein, fat. Whatever. Just eat.

ETA: and as usual, every other response in the thread is tossing out random advice without paying attention to the context.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping because I'd like to see more responses too. I have this same issue. When I'm not busy (translate :moving constantly), I swear I can hear the food calling me from the cabinet...and never when it's early...and never a nice healthy piece of fruit or a vegetable! I try to move more during the day so I can still eat the cookie or half peanut butter sandwich or cupcake without negating the rest of my day's work. I try to keep all sweets and breads from the house, but my 4 year olds birthday was this week...oh, the agony of the last piece of cake screaming at me all night. I finally had two forkfulls and put the rest of the cake in the trash (I haven't stooped so low as to eat out of the trash bin yet).
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and one of the side effect are uncontrolable carb cravings so I know how you feel. Nights are the worst. The thing that helps me is cutting out sugar & keeping my carbs around 100 a day, mostly eaten earlier in the day. The more sugar/carbs I eat the more I crave.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    This may sound kind of "outside the box" but have you tried a cup of coffee (with caffeine, yes even at night).

I only ask because for me, when I am tired (either late at night or if I haven't slept well) I crave simple carbs (like I want to stuff my face with anything from cookies to bread sticks or anything with sugar, you get the idea). If I have a cup of coffee, the cravings go away. Obviously, it depends on the person and reason for the cravings but without fail, this works for me. (I should also mention, I'm not particularly sensitive to caffeine and can pretty easily drink a carafe of coffee and still fall asleep with no problems. If you are, this would be a very bad idea).

Additionally, as mentioned, you could save up some of your calories for the evening. I do most of my eating in the late afternoon early evening so I make sure most of my calories are saved up for later in the day.
  • taso42
    Options
    the carbs at night thing.....me too, uncontrollably, it takes over my thinking it is crazy! If anyone has any Ideas to stop them or weaken them would love to know! :)

10 bucks says you're eating 1200 calories or less per day too.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    OMG, it's like we're twins!!! I have found that it is a cycle for me too. If I have a bite of processed sugars at night, I'll crave more and more! Having a piece of fruit has helped me in the past. Right now, I just tell myself no from eating any in the first place, at night. I don't crave this stuff during the day, either. I'm so good all day, and then it just hits me, like you said, I feel like a drug addict! Lol. I wish I could just understand it, and figure out what the problem is! I've heard so many opinions on this, and most of them make sense, but IDK which ones are true, or what to do to fix the problem!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon the answer, for me, anyways. I have even been getting out of bed at night for carbs! Bad, I know. This week I started drinking half a lemon squeezed into a coffee cup of hot water in the morning. I do the same around 6 at night. I can't believe I'm saying this but I just don't care about the carbs now. The lemon is supposed to level your glucose levels out, among other benefits. Google it, I am sooo happy with my new find!

I will certainly be trying this! Heck, I'll try anything!!! Lol
  • bluecrayonz
    Options
    I opened my food diary

Ok. So you've only logged today - very low calories. And then a whole bunch of blank days, and then many days back, a few days again with very low calories.

You're just hungry due to undereating. So eat. Carbs, protein, fat. Whatever. Just eat.

ETA: and as usual, every other response in the thread is tossing out random advice without paying attention to the context.
    cuz i stop logging after i cheat so it looks like im eating very low but really im eating plenty
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If I only ate 1000 calories a day, I would be mad, and hungry, and I would probably be craving carbs as well. Really, you may try eating more during the day, with emphasis on fats and protein.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    cuz i stop logging after i cheat so it looks like im eating very low but really im eating plenty

Sounds like a recipe for progress.

Log everything.