I Know I'm Gonna Be Attacked For This..

Options

Replies

• Spadowski
    Spadowski Posts: 38
    Options
    I actually talked to my doctor specifically about this because I rarely drink plain water unless I'm desperately thirsty. She assured me that between the four cups of black coffee and all the fresh fruits and veggies I ate every day, that I was fine. Coffee and tea is just flavored water. The caffeine only becomes detrimental after 4 cups of coffee, 8 of tea. Water is in all foods...and I eat a lot of water. Grapes, celery and strawberries contain a lot, bread and cheese have significantly less. When doctors recommend 90-125 ounces of water a day, they are including all foods and beverages. Isn't science neat? I also learned that women need less water than men (women need 90 oz, men need 125oz). I guess that's because we retain it so well. My doctor said diluted juices were fine too, as long as it was diluted about 50/50 so the sugar levels & calories weren't out of control. She also said if you're peeing all the time and it's clear, you're drinking too much.

I've started to add lemon juice and a few drops of vanilla flavored stevia to my water and that's my beverage of choice in addition to eating my water via fresh produce. You do not have to chug plain water to get the proper level of fluids into your body, but if you want to spend a good portion of your day on the toilet, more power to you. Some of us prefer to get our fluid in other forms, and that's okay too. Just be mindful of sugar and calories.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I drink very little water compared to others on here, in fact, I'd say it was probably a week since I had a glass of still pure water. I like sparkling water, but even then I don't drink a lot of it. Might drink more in Summer when it's warmer (when will Summer EVER arrive?! :grumble: :grumble: ) . For me, nothing wrong with a nice cup of tea, coffee, or juice! :drinker:
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Light Cordial is not ideal but atleast like tea and coffee and vegies and fruits it's primarily water or adding Lemon or Honey to it. and doesn't taste foul like water straight from the tap can, i too dispised plain water but i'm resigned to ignoring that and just drinking it anyway (I always drank my water in the form of Caffeine, Tea and Cordial above all else).

a water filter on your taps will go along way to making it palatable as they get rid of 98% of any added nasties and it's a healthier option the other cheaper option is to get to either boil water and put it in the fridge or get a filter container you pour the water in and it has a filter up the top that slowly filters the water and whats left in the bottom is alot closer to that of a filter tap or boiled water
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: another first world problem i guess!i live in a tropical country we drink water and scarcity of drinking water is one of the greatest problem during summer months..:ohwell:
  • Chichitas12
    Options
    When I was younger.... I use to tell my mom I wouldn't drink water because I felt it had the same consitency as saliva? so I kind of know how you feel and the only reason that was , was because I would only... forcefully drink room temperature water! So, I would say add lime.. cucumber.. or some flavor to it so it isn't so plain.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't like to add any sort of sweeteners or chemicals to my water, but it is nice to have a bit of light flavour. Slices of fresh fruit are great--I like oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, strawberries...so is a bit of mint. I also like cucumber slices, especially on a hot day.
  • LisaWilliams93
    Options
    Squash is much better than nothing @ all.. In the summer I often put diet ginger beer in a jug with loads of ice (more ice than pop).. Ice is water :) so you get yah water down you as you are enjoyin the flavour (choose a refreshin flavour of choice) and I promise its yum and you are hydratin @ the same time. Also tap water is yuk.. I only drink bottled water and drink 6-8 cups daily.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am concerned with all these suggestions for sugar or artificial sweeteners... artificial sweeteners are WORSE for you! Yes it has been proven (google for the research). Sucking on sugar all day is very bad for your teeth as well, look at people who drink too much soft drink (pop? in America). They lose all their teeth in their 20s - and this is the same with juice and so on. I have seen it first hand as a dental nurse. It's fine to binge on a bunch of sugar then clean your teeth (well, not fine, but better than) instead of sucking on sugar all day.

Try getting bottled water, everywhere has different tasting water. I personally prefer filtered water usually, but at times depending on my mineral needs I can find water which is gross to others really yummy (such as water which has iron in it). Your body tells you what you do and don't need through your taste buds!

edit: get drinking green tea. Not the crappy teabags, but REAL green tea you buy in a packet from Japan and have to strain :) tastes amazing. I used to think I hated tea as well - turns out I just hate normal English tea!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Could it be a mental thing? Probably.

I agree. If it bothers you that much, then seek the help of a qualified therapist. Otherwise, try various teas. I only drink water at the gym otherwise I have all manner of alternative teas. Go to your local supermarket and experiment. I'm not a fan of fruit teas as they smell great but taste like watered down fruit juice.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Reading through the posts, actually made me reach for my water bottle!!

It's taken effort on my part to start drinking plain water (tap) I'm better during the week managing 4 - 6 mugs(cups) a day. I feel better for it, but it is an effort. Weekends rarely see me drink 1 mug of water!

You're trying and that's something to bear in mind, try the fruits idea, you may get to like it :drinker:
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet or not. You could try crystal light. I personally won't use it because I'm anti aspartame. However, if you're not bothered by it, they are a great way to mask your water without adding on the calories.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid of stuff like Crystal Light. Alot of ppl on here are anti artificial sweeteners, but I have been losing pretty steady and i drink ALOT of it! I actually use the Walmart brand stuff tho and make it by the gallon. And I keep some flavored drops in my purse, so if we go out to dinner I can just order water and use the drops instead of paying for a drink lol. My favorite is the Dasani Pineapple Coconut, but it can be kind of off putting because it looks like pee HAHA
  • LagoonaChanBlue
    Options
    I have sugar free or flavoured water, just I teeny bit of peach squash added to give it a flavour. I much prefer it to drinking plain water! :)
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My son cant drink water, he has Asberges so hyper sensitive to taste and says he tastes the metal from the pipes! but even cant drink bottled water! Why dont you try adding a slice of lemon or a slice of lime :) good luck!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd say suck it up. You are a big girl, I'm sure you can manage it. I don't know anyone that LOVES water, but you have to drink it.
    ]
    Not in the bit-pure form we describe as water (of course most such does have plenty of other 'stuff' in it).

I've seen no research to suggest it matters how you get your hydration - for instance the pint of beer and two large bowls of soup I had at the pub last night after our 10k run should do just fine.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have to add something to flavour my water - usually Crystal Light. The only time I can drink plain water is a) if it's really hot out and I'm parched or b) if I'm exercising. Otherwise, plain water makes me nauseous.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    M-F I very easily drink 2-3 bottles of water a day. On the weekend I dont even drink 1 cup.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    How about seltzer water? I find plain ol' water pretty boring unless it is ice water after a day of hiking in the heat, but I go through seltzer water like mad because I love the bubbles.

I love my seltzer water! I also have this thing called an Aquazinger that I can add fruit to the bottom of it and it adds fruity flavor to my water.

I also drink coffee. That is about it though.
  • shunta864
    shunta864 Posts: 52
    Options
    girl you're not alone. as much as i try i can't drink water neither. i always use the sugar free pink lemonade packs to put in my water. I mean this way is better than sodas or no water at all. lol
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Have you tried Sparkling Waters? Cascade Ice is my favorite. Especially Strawberry Lemonade and Mango Orange. I love water and couldn't go without it... But I do know of some that have a hard time drinking it. Baby steps :)