• cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SallyDawnK
    SallyDawnK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to the thread but would appreciate all the support. I need some exercises for someone who HATES exercise. I walk 30 minutes a day. But things I have read said that you have to either walk for a longer period or at a more vigorous rate. Is my 30 minutes helping at all?

Dawn
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of yoga this morning then took the deep water class. Tomorrow I'll do a Jari Love DVD. After the Y I stopped at one store on my way home, not that I neeed much, but I was glad I did. They have what I thought was this cute table and small stools in the shape of mushrooms. I thought it would be real cute by the pool. However, Vince is of the opinion that people want chairs with backs on them. Well, Jessica is supposed to be here this weekend, I took a picture of it, and if she agrees with me, maybe we can get it. I thought it might be nice like right by the pool, certainly not the upper area where you'd eat. So we shall see what Jessica says, maybe if she agrees with me, she can talk Vince into it.

moxie - you sure have a lot going on. I can see how MFP would be a great help to you.

Hope everyone who is feeling bad gets better real fast.

We go to senior bowling and then tonight to Newcomers bowling.

ekafont - happy birthday!!!

Cheryl and everyone else who has a teenager - when Jessica was a teen, I swear there were times when I locked myself in the bathroom and read the book "Get Out of My Life But First Would You Drive me and Cheryl to the Mall". If I didn't, I swear I would have killed her at times. That book is so true, you'll swear the author was a fly on your wall. I highly recommend it

I agree that it is so hard to see our little furbabies in pain. The absolute worst part is that they can't communicate with you where it hurts.

grandmalle - that is so nice of you to help others and turning them on to MFP!

Tammy - I've never heard of the movie "Fat, Sick, Nearly Dead". Sounds interesting.Good for you having half of the tiramasu and going to throw the rest away. I had a banana this morning because I know Vince won't eat it -- it's too ripe. I really didn't want it. However, I had another extra-ripe one so I peeled it and now it's in the freezer.

Thank you everyone for your condolences about my cousin. It's weird -- we knew it was coming, but it still affected me. Well, she donated her body to science, life goes on.....

jb - I have the hardest time finding jeans, too. I like them in different colors, not just your basic blue, black, brown and olive. However, so many of them are the skinny jeans and I definitely need at least a bootcut. Frustrating. On top of that, any pants I get need to be a petite.

Jackie - congrats on your bf dropping. Still waiting for the guy to get his caliphers fixed so that I can get mine taken again.

Kate - congrats on touching your toes. I can't do that, never have been able to

Brooke - YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

Laura - I've also found that jeans size differently if you get blue jeans or different color jeans. I know a while ago I would get an 8 Wrangler, but in colors I had to get a 10. Tell me how frustrating it is!

Just came back from the senior bowling. Hadn't been there in 2 weeks. I was surprised to see that one bowler's name was just a vacancy (this is the bowler who took the place of the man who died). Anyway, I asked the other teammate what happened. Seems he passed away. There are four people on a team, Forney (who died), me, this lady who hasn't been there since January, and Joe. We usually have at least one sub. Boy, what a team! Well, I don't plan to go anywhere....lol

Please don't ask me to explain this, but I just found out that Jessica is just coming down for the day. She has a dentist appt tomorrow. I assumed she'd be here the whole weekend. Looks like she won't be going to the movies with me. I really want to see "Safe Harbor" but I'm sure Vince doesn't want to go with me.

jodios - what a cruel thing mother nature does to us letting men lose the weight faster!

jolenec - it's cold and windy here in NC, too. I can't get over how cold it is. Well, it supposed to warm up by the weekend. At least it isn't snowing!

Jane in CO - is there any way at all that you can get your logging in? I find that really helps me A LOT. Good luck at the VA

jmkmomm - what an inspiration you are!

Karen - sometimes our bodies need a break from the routine. I know that whenever I go to FL I usually don't exercise on the Sat. and Sun of the race, and I usually see a loss. Yup, go figure! Congrats on getting to the 10 and you'll be at the next 10 in no time, I know it

teri - you've certainly come to a great place for encouragement.

kathy - hope your knee gets better. What a bummer!

debbie from WV - welcome! Yes, this site WILL help you. Come back often and post. I like to exercise early in the morning, too. I just can't get myself to the gym in the evening.

Say, has anyone had any experience with a weight vest? I was told that 130 pound woman will burn 15% more calories with a 20lb vest on. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Danni - welcome! Boy, you described me almost to a tee. Snacking from 3-5 and then munching at night. I think part of it for me is habit. I have found that having some air popped popcorn not only makes me want to drink more water so it's filling, but it also satisfies a lot of the "habit". I also find that prelogging an evening snack (usually fruit) seems to work.

Lin - ANOTHER loss! Wonderful!

spunky in WI - welcome! Your goals sound very good

barbie - that's wonderful news about Jake. I'm so happy for the two of you.

Dawn - welcome! I would say that the 30 minutes you're doing sure isn't hurting anything.

Just got back from Newcomer bowling. Tomorrow I'm supposed to volunteer at the Green Room. Afterwards I'll take the soda that I got for Lynette to her office and return the audiobooks I took out of the library. I also need to stop at the bank that's right there. Later in the afternoon we have to take two of the cats to the vet

Welcome to anyone else new that I may have missed.

Hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so I walked away from the computer and got on the exercise bike and in two minutes the phone rang.....the doctor said that the surgery went very well and Jake is fine and could come home tonight and I said thank you for all your great care but I'm a three hour drive from Seattle so I'll be there in the morning.

:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: thank you for all your prayers and good wishes and your large doses of Vitamin F.

:heart: Barbie

This is awesome news. Have a good trip in the morning.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump for tomorrow! drink the water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele no one has called me an inspiration, thanks so much. My daughters' name is Michelle. She was the child that was always the rebel, we had a rough time during high school and the one year she was in college. After she failed in college she ahd no choice but to come home to live with us. She spent most time in her room or working. Through the years as I have accepted her life style that is not one that I would have chosen we have gotten closer. She loves me dearly now and I truly don't know what I would do without her. I was there for her every moment when her husband went through 2 deployments in Iraq and then divorce. Her losing weight was one of the inspirations that I could lose weight. I hope to inspire her to quit smoking.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book Eat to Live? Or seen the movie, "Fat, Sick, Nearly Dead?" I'm already doing a lot of the recommendations, but it has really had an impact on my food intake...
    Tammy in VA Beach (no snow, only some rain and LOTs of wind!)

Hi Tammy - I have been reading Eat to Live (ETL for short) and following quite a bit of it. There is a group on MFP with that name. You are welcome to go there. I have not yet seen "Fat, Sick, Nearly Dead" documentary. But that would be interesting.

The more I learn about plant based foods, the more I like what it does for me.

The typical American plate is 50% animal protein, 25% overcooked vegetables and 25% starch like white potatoes. I would suggest you recreate your plate. Fruits and vegetables pack a powerful nutritious punch so eating more of them is a good way to stay healthy and live longer.

take care
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    MEG,- YES, I am living in Egypt and work at the American School. I've been here for over 25 years. Raised my kids here and it is actually a very interesting place to live. Phyllis:laugh:
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to give you my name, duh, it's Teri from Kansas City. :)

Hello Teri!..my hometown is Kansas City MO.
  • moxie1962
    Options
    ekafont-Happy Belated Birthday!! Sorry I missed that yesterday.
  • mags5554
    mags5554 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Margaret here, I am 58 and have done every diet plan out there so was keen to try something different . My daughter put me on to this site, she is doing really well and I wanted to join too. Hopefully I'll make some new friends who will help to encourage me, so please feel free to add me to your list of friends.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning from a grey and drizzly day in London.

Barbie - pleased to hear that Jake is almost home. Big hugs to you both x

I am desperately trying to be upbeat whilst feeling sub par. It doesn't help anybody if I walk around with a face like a wet weekend, but I'm struggling a little bit.

Work is hard at present, but I am grateful to have a job. So there's that!

Anyway my lovelies, I really need to get back to the grindstone.

Love to all.

Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie:smile: Glad Jake is doing well! Have a safe trip today!

Welcome to all that are new:flowerforyou: ! Come in often and chat away with us!!! We are a chatty bunch!

I don`t have a lot of time this morning (as usual:grumble: ).
    I had a breakfast meeting yesterday morning and had pancakes, I don`t usually eat breakfast and I will have to say I felt bad all day afterwards:sick: ! I don`t know if it was the pancakes, or the sweet syrup, I didn`t use very much...maybe it was just too much sweetness for me. Just reinforces the reason I don`t like breakfast:noway: ! I`m feeling a bit better this morning, thank goodness for that! Training day...again...and again I don`t want to go:sad: , but I will:tongue: .
    Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in chilly but clear NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,784 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    well here we are in snowy Connecticut ,I probably could make it to the gym,but it is snowing pretty hard, so I plan on doing quite a bit of housework today.
    I have to say as I sit here on my bed, with a dog snuggled up next to me, the snow coming down outside and the birdies at my feeder~ all is right with the world right now:wink: sorta living in the moment
    the DH came and asked me if I still wanted to go on the cruise, and I said of course,but we are trying to figure out my vacation hr, with my hrs cut,I have to pick and choose..we usually go down to our place in florida the last couple weeks of december,which I so really enjoy, and when I was working full time hrs I could do both, now I have to sorta look at the calendar and see if we can make it work...
    I am truly blessed that I do have a place to go...
    so I will see how things develop..
    Barbie, so very happy that Jake's surgery is finally done and he can come home,the furbabies will be so happy to see daddy:bigsmile:
    Meg so glad you have a couple of days off. I give you a whole bunch of credit being a teacher,especially in this day in age alot of these children have no respect for there elder's,I am truly greatfull that I wasn't brought up that way...
    Will check in during the day to see how everyone is doing~ Ta Ta for now:flowerforyou:
  • mcginley22
    Options
    Hi Im Maggie, I live in Oz, this is my first week on my fitness pal, Ive been trying to lose 5kg since January and have not lost an ounce...Im therefore keen to hear your suggesions and tips, Im going on holiday in June and would love to make my goal by then.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump for the morning placemarker --

THE DRESS came and it fits, but perhaps not as well as I would like. The armholes feel really small so I have to decide. I also think it is too tight in the middle, but the hemline is very flirty, twirly and fun! Reading the fine print on my alternate source I found they do not allow returns or exchanges... grrr. So another thing to decide.

Barbie - hope your trip to get Jake home goes well.

Michele - sorry about your cousin. It is never easy.

Yardtrigress - are you out there? Don't think I've seen you post lately.

And I'm still wondering about BigPal whom I haven't seen post in some time. Are you out there?

Have a great day!

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • chevvy50
    chevvy50 Posts: 14
    Options
    Im 50+ been blighted with ankle and leg operations that have gone wrong which stop me from exercising like most people, due to chronic pain and mobility ...anyway I have 9 pound to get to goal but may try lose a little more my goal is even though scales show I have gained the two I lost even though I have hand on heart logged everything !! ( are we allowed to think it out age :ohwell: ) my march goal is too not listen to that bloomin voice every time I have a wobble (got loads of them :blushing: ) telling me ar go on ,go on, go on ,go on.. eat the bun... aka MRS DOYLE from FATHER TED ......also try and do what exercise I can :flowerforyou:
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options

The typical American plate is 50% animal protein, 25% overcooked vegetables and 25% starch like white potatoes. I would suggest you recreate your plate. Fruits and vegetables pack a powerful nutritious punch so eating more of them is a good way to stay healthy and live longer.

:flowerforyou: Renny! I should have figured you had read this book. I'll look for the mfp thread... I have been working informally with a nutritionist here in VB and "recreating" my plate. 60% veggies (mostly fresh, organic), 20% fat, 20% protein. A lot of what she has been telling me was totally reinforced by ETL. I have several friends that have totally gone with the plan, but I am not quite ready to go there. I am consuming so much more leafy greens, healthy fats, and less protein though and I am trying to pump my DH full of antioxidants! The biggest shocker for me has been the "fats". Logging food here has really opened my eyes to how easy it is to add too many fats to our diets... plus ETL has totally pushed me away from even Olive Oil... although I still use a bit.. just a lot less. I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. It was amazing!

Have a great day everyone!!! Eat more fruits and veggies! Really!!!

Tammy in Va Beach:heart:
  • moxie1962
    Options
    megblair1- I guess you were referencing my post , "Moxie: wow that’s a lot of issues to be dealing with. But that’s the beauty of this group, there is always someone here who has the same issues and can lend you support. "

I don't think I have that many issues. Maybe they sounded like a lot though. I should be a lot worse off than I am at the moment, I would think. :laugh:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book Eat to Live? Or seen the movie, "Fat, Sick, Nearly Dead?" I'm already doing a lot of the recommendations, but it has really had an impact on my food intake...
    Tammy in VA Beach (no snow, only some rain and LOTs of wind!)

Hi Tammy - I have been reading Eat to Live (ETL for short) and following quite a bit of it. There is a group on MFP with that name. You are welcome to go there. I have not yet seen "Fat, Sick, Nearly Dead" documentary. But that would be interesting.

take care
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC

Me too---I've read "Eat to Live" and "Eat for Health"---I've watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", I've watched Dr. Fuhrman on PBS several times, I have a complimentary membership to his website through a PBS gift. I use his vitamins and I am trying to learn more each and every day. I am trying each day to improve my nutrition and consider myself a nutritarian. At this point I am not juicing and don't plan to go on a juice fast. But I believe----salad is the main dish!

Wishing you nutrient dense choices. :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif