Anybody doing whole Lent fast?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My weight is already low so adding fasting will put me in a stretcher and unable to function or do my workouts. I have almost a 12 hours fasting time between dinner and next day breakfast and that is all that I can handle. I don't eat red meat too much and I like fish so eating it on Fridays is not a problem, so probably doesn't count as a deed during Lent. Oh well!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm Eastern Orthodox. We eat basically a vegan diet during Lent (or we're supposed to -- I haven't been very good at it in recent years): nothing with a backbone, no dairy, no olive oil or wine (because both were traditionally kept in animal skins). There's no Ash Wednesday; we have Meatfare Sunday, which is the last day to eat meat, followed by Cheesefare Sunday, the last day to eat dairy and clean out the fridge.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I've never head of this kind of Lenten fast. I've heard of that for Ramadan.. But I thought Lent was more about no meat, nothing decadent, etc. if you're going to do it all. The Canadian Council of Catholic Bishops has listed only Ash Wednesday and Good Friday as official fast days.

This. And even then, what Catholics define as a "fast" consists of just one meal a day, and it doesn't specify which meal or what time of day that should be. So technically you could go to Golden Corral, eat 4000 calories and still be within the guideline.

Different councils recommend different things. I looked it up this year (because my memory is terrible) and it said one regular meal (which I would interpret as <4000 calories, more like 500-700 since that's what I eat for a meal typically) and two small snacks that when added up do not equal a meal. I turned it into a really small meal and a regular meal without snacks.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    The purpose of Lent is not to lose weight. It's a religious observance that, (in great generalities), by self denial, prayer and atonement you are better purifying yourself to prepare for the arrival of God (Easter). Not only are you supposed to be following a straighter and narrower path regarding food and drink, you should all be involved in prayer/meditation/contemplation, and also atonement, giving to others, the poor, the hungry, etc. This concept has varied over the centuries depending on who wrote it, it's not actually in the Bible.

Its based on pagan ritual like much of the traditions of Christianity. I'll let you go research that on your own. Maybe that's a good thing to do for Lent, discover why you're doing it.

And maybe the self sacrifice and giving to others the excess of your life is a general goodness one should do on a regular basis, something I always thought Christianity was supposed to encompass.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm Catholic, so we are all into Lent, but I've never heard of doing that. Is it some rip-off of Ramadan?
  • barkercraig617
    barkercraig617 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The meaning of lent is to lose thyself, to defeat the Fleshly desires of this world, total oblation of the inner self, to find thyself dwelling in the Oneness of God. A journey to purity.
    As far as Ramadan goes, the muslim way did not come about till nearly seven hundred years after Christ Jesus, and the building of his church, which, that in fact is the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. The one true faith that Christ Jesus formed, this side of heaven.
    May God bless all of you abundantly throughout this Lenton journey, and may all receive total absolution on devine mercy sunday.
    it is real, God given, may you seek this out today.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    My denomination doesn't celebrate Lent so I have never heard of the Lenten fast before. It sounds very difficult, but also like an experience that would mean more to me (if I did it) than other giving-up-for-Lent goals I've heard of. I hope it goes well for you!

I'm Catholic and have observed Lent (not "celebrated Lent" -- it's a time of penitence and reflection in preparation for Easter) my whole life, and I have never heard of dawn-to-dusk fast as part of Lent. That sounds like Ramadan. For all of my life, the requirement for days of fasting during Lent (which are only Ash Wednesday and Good Friday) have been one full meal, plus two smaller meals that together do not equal a full meal. And even historically when fasting was observed throughout Lent, and it was only one meal (no smaller meals), there was no dawn-to-dusk component to it that I ever heard of (i.e., you didn't start gorging yourself when the sun went down), which is probably why the definition of "fast" allowed for having one meal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I forgot lent this year :/ I am not catholic but I have always enjoyed the idea of breaking what we think are addictions for a period of time to remind myself that I control me. I usually give up all added sweetener or coffee. Im a little sad I didn't do it this year!

Don't be sad. Since you're not doing it as a religious observance, you could do it any time--now, next month, for the six weeks before your birthday, etc.

You might want to think of a different name for it, since appropriating the name of what is for some a solemn religious observance for your own period of self-improvement might be offensive to some people.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    No, and I'm not sacrificing any goats or sons, or stoning any adulterers either.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    No, and I'm not sacrificing any goats or sons, or stoning any adulterers either.
    If there was a "Like" button, I'd click it!
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I literally LOLed :D And on the topic, no lent fasting or any fasting at all. I'm not religious and I like to eat small frequent meals. :)